cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

New MBG Timelines -- as of July 10

I was researching something for a different post and opened the MBG page. There is a blurb about new timelines at the top ... with no announcement that I can find 😞

https://www.ebay.com/help/policies/ebay-money-back-guarantee-policy/ebay-money-back-guarantee-policy...

mbg1.jpgmbg2.jpgmbg3.jpg

penguins_dont_fly is a Volunteer Community Mentor
Buying and Selling since 2013

Message 1 of 71
latest reply
70 REPLIES 70

Re: New MBG Timelines -- as of July 10

@lovtaco0 wrote:

brian@ebayFollow-up questions:

brian@ebay wrote: If we do not have delivery confirmation (or a return tracking number) we will not automate a refund. If we do have delivery conformation, sellers will have 2 business days from that point to issue a refund. If a refund was initiated within 2 business days but is still processing after 2 business days, we won't take action unless the refund fails. If we do not see that a refund has been initiated within 2 business days, a refund may be automated. Keep in mind that automated refunds only occur on returns if we (eBay) have not been asked to step in and make a decision.

Since automated refunds only occur when eBay is not asked to step in that does not result in a defect against the seller, correct?

brian@ebay wrote: If a buyer returns an item, provides tracking, and the item hasn't been delivered within 5 business days, either the buyer or seller can ask us to step in at that point. If tracking shows movement within the last 7 days, we'll place the case on hold for 5 days for a domestic case or 10 days for an international case to allow more time for the package to be delivered. Tracking is reviewed before any decision is made.

Tracking shows movement, buyer asks eBay to step in and the case is placed on hold - does the seller still have 2 business days to refund after delivery or does the case being escalated to eBay change that?

@lovtaco0, a defect will not be given in situations that we automate a refund because the seller doesn't issue a refund within 2 business days.

Aside from the timeframe updates, there are no changes to the way we process claims. To answer, your second question, there will not be a 2 business day period provided for a refund if we are asked to step in. However, we will not review the claim again until the hold is over. Once the hold expires, the claim will be sent to the appropriate team for review and action. So, if the item is delivered during the hold then the seller will have the remainder of the holds timeframe to issue a refund.  With all this said, I do not believe it will be common for buyers to call customer support and ask us to step in after 5 business days have passed. Situations like this shouldn't be the normal experience. 

Brian,
Community Team
Message 61 of 71
latest reply

@dtexley3 wrote:

brian@ebay wrote:

@lovtaco0 wrote:

tyler@ebay, brian@ebay- we're looking more information about these changes to the MBG. Specifically:

1. Why was there no announcement? Aside from the summer update that said sellers have 2 business days instead of 6 business days to refund after delivery (buried in the FAQ and not called out as a change, by the way), none of these changes were posted anywhere except the policy page.

2. Return shipping transit time: When the 5 domestic or 14 international business days expire, what happens? Is a refund issued automatically or does the case sit until it's escalated? If it's escalated after the alotted time does the agent review the tracking before making a ruling or what happens?

https://www.ebay.com/help/policies/ebay-money-back-guarantee-policy/ebay-money-back-guarantee-policy...

Hi @lovtaco0, the 2 business day timeframe was included in the Summer Seller Update overview section and FAQ because it has a greater impact on sellers. The other timeframes weren't included in the update because these new timeframes are given to buyers and sellers in the returns flow and experience. 

If we do not have delivery confirmation (or a return tracking number) we will not automate a refund. If we do have delivery conformation, sellers will have 2 business days from that point to issue a refund. If a refund was initiated within 2 business days but is still processing after 2 business days, we won't take action unless the refund fails. If we do not see that a refund has been initiated within 2 business days, a refund may be automated. Keep in mind that automated refunds only occur on returns if we (eBay) have not been asked to step in and make a decision. 

If a buyer returns an item, provides tracking, and the item hasn't been delivered within 5 business days, either the buyer or seller can ask us to step in at that point. If tracking shows movement within the last 7 days, we'll place the case on hold for 5 days for a domestic case or 10 days for an international case to allow more time for the package to be delivered. Tracking is reviewed before any decision is made.

Let me know if I can clarify anything else Smiley Happy

brian@ebay   If the item hasn't moved in 5 days (or 7 days) will the case be closed in favor of the seller?  It's not clear from your answer.  Thanks!

Hi @dtexley3! If the buyer paid for return shipping then we would close the case in the sellers favor. If the seller paid for return shipping then it would close in the buyers favor. This is how we have decided claims in the past and that will continue going forward. The only difference is the shorter timeframe. Keep in mind that we will only make a decision if we are asked to step in.

Brian,
Community Team
Message 62 of 71
latest reply

@paudoh-16 wrote:

brian.t@ebay

Could you please clarify a few things for us.

I understand the return button is going to stay active for 60 days after a sale and tht should a buyer decide to return after the sellers return policy, The return details will be sent to the seller for review. 

Depending on the reason for this return, could this impact the seller regarding returns and the increased FVF fees depending on the reason the customer uses.

What happens should a custom return with an INAD reason and the seller turns the return down, does eBay step in that case. 

Just trying to understand the impact to the seller in having these past return date claims. 

Hi @paudoh-16, I'm happy to clarify! Return Seller Metrics take into account all return requests. If a remorse return is opened after the sellers return policy timeframe is passed then the seller is not obligated to accept the return. If an Item Not As Described return is opened after the 30-day Money Back Guarantee timeframe has passed, we will not step in to make a decision. In either situation, these returns would count towards the sellers Service Metrics. This applies to all sellers, so a sellers peer group will experience similar situations. 

Edit: Only Not As Described returns will count towards a sellers Service Metrics. Sorry for the confusion! 

Brian,
Community Team
Message 63 of 71
latest reply

brian@ebay wrote:

@paudoh-16 wrote:

brian.t@ebay

I understand the return button is going to stay active for 60 days after a sale and tht should a buyer decide to return after the sellers return policy, The return details will be sent to the seller for review. 

Depending on the reason for this return, could this impact the seller regarding returns and the increased FVF fees depending on the reason the customer uses.

What happens should a custom return with an INAD reason and the seller turns the return down, does eBay step in that case. 

Just trying to understand the impact to the seller in having these past return date claims. 

Hi @paudoh-16, I'm happy to clarify! Return Seller Metrics take into account all return requests. If a remorse return is opened after the sellers return policy timeframe is passed then the seller is not obligated to accept the return. If an Item Not As Described return is opened after the 30-day Money Back Guarantee timeframe has passed, we will not step in to make a decision. In either situation, these returns would count towards the sellers Service Metrics. This applies to all sellers, so a sellers peer group will experience similar situations. 

I guess taking another 4% out of the sellers pockets is going to save the world.

Thanks for clarifying

`````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````

Throw me to the wolves and I'll come back leading the pack.
Message 64 of 71
latest reply

@paudoh-16 wrote:

brian@ebay wrote:

@paudoh-16 wrote:

brian.t@ebay

I guess taking another 4% out of the sellers pockets is going to save the world.

Thanks for clarifying

brian@ebay

I thought that only not as described claims were taken into account in a sellers service metrics? Are you saying that ALL return requests will count against us?

Message 65 of 71
latest reply

@pjcdn2005 wrote:

@paudoh-16 wrote:

brian@ebay wrote:

@paudoh-16 wrote:

brian.t@ebay

Thanks for clarifying

brian@ebay

I thought that only not as described claims were taken into account in a sellers service metrics? Are you saying that ALL return requests will count against us?

Hi @pjcdn2005, you are correct, only Not As Described returns count. Sorry, It's been a long day stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye Thank you so much for tagging me on this! 

Brian,
Community Team
Message 66 of 71
latest reply

brian@ebay wrote:

@pjcdn2005 wrote:

@paudoh-16 wrote:

brian@ebay wrote:

@paudoh-16 wrote:

brian.t@ebay

Thanks for clarifying

brian@ebay

Hi @pjcdn2005, you are correct, only Not As Described returns count. Sorry, It's been a long day stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye Thank you so much for tagging me on this! 

I'll wait to see if the programmers get it right.

`````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````

Throw me to the wolves and I'll come back leading the pack.
Message 67 of 71
latest reply

brian@ebay wrote:

@dtexley3 wrote:

brian@ebay wrote:

@lovtaco0 wrote:

tyler@ebay, brian@ebay- we're looking more information about these changes to the MBG. Specifically:

1. Why was there no announcement? Aside from the summer update that said sellers have 2 business days instead of 6 business days to refund after delivery (buried in the FAQ and not called out as a change, by the way), none of these changes were posted anywhere except the policy page.

2. Return shipping transit time: When the 5 domestic or 14 international business days expire, what happens? Is a refund issued automatically or does the case sit until it's escalated? If it's escalated after the alotted time does the agent review the tracking before making a ruling or what happens?

Hi @lovtaco0, the 2 business day timeframe was included in the Summer Seller Update overview section and FAQ because it has a greater impact on sellers. The other timeframes weren't included in the update because these new timeframes are given to buyers and sellers in the returns flow and experience. 

If we do not have delivery confirmation (or a return tracking number) we will not automate a refund. If we do have delivery conformation, sellers will have 2 business days from that point to issue a refund. If a refund was initiated within 2 business days but is still processing after 2 business days, we won't take action unless the refund fails. If we do not see that a refund has been initiated within 2 business days, a refund may be automated. Keep in mind that automated refunds only occur on returns if we (eBay) have not been asked to step in and make a decision. 

If a buyer returns an item, provides tracking, and the item hasn't been delivered within 5 business days, either the buyer or seller can ask us to step in at that point. If tracking shows movement within the last 7 days, we'll place the case on hold for 5 days for a domestic case or 10 days for an international case to allow more time for the package to be delivered. Tracking is reviewed before any decision is made.

brian@ebay   If the item hasn't moved in 5 days (or 7 days) will the case be closed in favor of the seller?  It's not clear from your answer.  Thanks!

Hi @dtexley3! If the buyer paid for return shipping then we would close the case in the sellers favor. If the seller paid for return shipping then it would close in the buyers favor. This is how we have decided claims in the past and that will continue going forward. The only difference is the shorter timeframe. Keep in mind that we will only make a decision if we are asked to step in.

Hi brian@ebay ... that doesn't make sense to me.

If a buyer claims SNAD and I issue a label and the buyer never returns the item ... The case closes in favor of the buyer?

And .. I have Free Returns ... I always pay for return shipping. By your statement, the buyer will always win when they decide not to actually return the item after I have accepted the return. Is that correct?

Message 68 of 71
latest reply

@penguins_dont_fly wrote:

brian@ebay wrote:

@dtexley3 wrote:

brian@ebay wrote:

@lovtaco0 wrote:

If a buyer claims SNAD and I issue a label and the buyer never returns the item ... The case closes in favor of the buyer?

And .. I have Free Returns ... I always pay for return shipping. By your statement, the buyer will always win when they decide not to actually return the item after I have accepted the return. Is that correct?

Hi @penguins_dont_fly, Brian's response was about items that were shipped, have tracking, have not shown movement in 7 days, and the case was escalated by buyer or seller. When you purchase return shipping it's not a bad idea to keep an eye on tracking so you can proactively take steps to locate a stuck package with the carrier before the buyer can escalate.

If the buyer never returns the item the case would not close in the buyer's favor.

If the buyer does return the item but it gets lost or damaged in transit then the party responsible for purchasing the shipping and choosing the return method would be responsible. This is one of the reasons some sellers are unhappy that eBay Return labels aren't insured.

Message 69 of 71
latest reply

@laylajames9 wrote:

brian@ebay wrote:

@dtexley3 wrote:

brian@ebay wrote:

@lovtaco0 wrote:

Hi @penguins_dont_fly, Brian's response was about items that were shipped, have tracking, have not shown movement in 7 days, and the case was escalated by buyer or seller. When you purchase return shipping it's not a bad idea to keep an eye on tracking so you can proactively take steps to locate a stuck package with the carrier before the buyer can escalate.

If the buyer never returns the item the case would not close in the buyer's favor.

If the buyer does return the item but it gets lost or damaged in transit then the party responsible for purchasing the shipping and choosing the return method would be responsible. This is one of the reasons some sellers are unhappy that eBay Return labels aren't insured.

You got all of that from what brian@ebay said? Because it was not at all clear in his post.

I would like to hear what you just said from him.

What happens, exactly, if the buyer does not ship the item back? When can a seller escalate and have it closed in the seller's favor in those circumstances? What, exacctly, is the timeline there?

And thank you for telling me I should keep an eye on my tracking, I would have never thought of that 😞

Message 70 of 71
latest reply

@laylajames9 wrote:

brian@ebay wrote:

@dtexley3 wrote:

brian@ebay wrote:

@lovtaco0 wrote:

You got all of that from what brian@ebay said? Because it was not at all clear in his post.

I would like to hear what you just said from him.

What happens, exactly, if the buyer does not ship the item back? When can a seller escalate and have it closed in the seller's favor in those circumstances? What, exacctly, is the timeline there?

And thank you for telling me I should keep an eye on my tracking, I would have never thought of that 😞

Hi @penguins_dont_fly, I can confirm that the information @laylajames9 provided is accurate. If you do encounter a situation where a buyer does not return an item within 5 business days, please contact customer support and they'll be able to close the case in your favor. Thanks, @laylajames9!

Brian,
Community Team
Message 71 of 71
latest reply