cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

New All-Time Low-No Replies Needed

I have reached a new all-time low, one sale in the past 14 days, I know the cheerleaders are going to say it's my fault, my inventory, my this, my that, BLAH BLAH BLAH, & to those I say you are Very Wrong!, This has become a pitiful place to try & conduct your own business under someone else's rule of thumb!, It's really a shame, This is not the ebay I signed up with, promising to Help you build your business, Now they do everything but!, Empty Promises, Comment if you want, I may not comment back, What I do know is when it is time to renew my store,I will not, & In fact I may just shut down completely & box it all up & take a nice long Hiatus from this Maniacal Madness!

Message 1 of 298
latest reply
297 REPLIES 297

Re: New All-Time Low-No Replies Needed

Right - when people wrote that ebay isn’t a job, they are thinking about entry #2.  eBay isn’t a full time or part time “post of employment.”  And a seller on eBay - whether casual or dedicated - might have individual tasks that could be referred to as  “jobs” (taking the packages to the PO might be a job).  

Point is that writing that being a full time seller isn’t a job isn’t an insult.  It is just that it isn’t a job by the regular definition.  That is not an insult, and it doesn’t mean that a dedicated seller doesn’t put in long hours or approach their activities with high degree of professionalism.  

It isn’t a paid position, and that’s fine.  A friend’s husband is a bitcoin investor -

does very well for himself.  Nice house in a great area, plenty of money socked away for retirement.  He doesn’t have a job - but works just as many hours as some would, and earns more than he would if he was collecting a paycheck from a “job.”  If I say that he doesn’t have a job, that isn’t a negative.

IMG_3306.png

Message 136 of 298
latest reply

People are funny, they always feel the need to feel superior to someone else.   

now.  

Message 137 of 298
latest reply

@onefootflippers wrote:

@zamo-zuan wrote:

I'd like to add that the fees don't just hurt sellers, it makes ebay as a whole less competitive against other marketplaces.

Which other marketplaces are significantly cheaper than ebay?

This is asking the wrong question. The question is, which are eBay cheaper than? 

The whole reason eBay thrived was because people could order things online for cheaper than they can get at stores. That advantage is gone. 

So at this point, they need to be cheaper if they want business. Otherwise, what's the point? If you could order elsewhere, with the same or better prices, faster shipping, better return policies, why shop on eBay if they aren't cheaper?

This isn't even going in to the fact that they can search for cheaper prices on Google easier than eBay search considering the filters work much better that way. Problem in this case (for eBay) is that search engines also show other competitors.

But I can't stress it enough, why would anyone buy on eBay if it's NOT cheaper? Maybe some niche categories of items that are hard to find might be viable, maybe for used items. But for general merchandise? eBay has no advantages to buyers.

I'll be honest. If I'm buying something, it's not near the top of my list anymore. I truthfully don't even bother unless it's niche. 

Unless if maybe you're a scammer. Then you have a bit of a reason to buy on eBay...

Message 138 of 298
latest reply

@mam98031 wrote:

@gamersbaystore wrote:

Since the past 5 years or so. ebay forces me to ship everything within 24 hours, otherwise none of my orders will arrive on time. They ignore my shipping policies entirely, and I can make a sure bet I am not alone.

I have 3 day handling times for my of the items I sell, yet ebay tells my buyers they will receive their orders in 3 days, which is ridiculous.

Fact: Sellers have no control over the estimated delivery dates that ebay provides to buyers.

I'm confused, so bare with me while I try to understand and learn.

How and why does Ebay "force" you to ship everything within 24 hours?  What makes your account different than other sellers that Ebay would do this?

Regarding items arriving on time, that is a carrier thing and would not cause Ebay to "force" you to ship vial and expedited manner.

When you look at the ETA on the item if it were to ship today, are you viewing that with your account and your zip code?  The ETA is by zip code, so if you view it in the same zip code that the item will ship to, then it will show that it will arrive quickly.  Change your zip code or use a different account with a different zip code and you will see the ETA will change.

I reported this happening for a long time as well. Here is a thread I made on it awhile back: https://community.ebay.com/t5/Selling/Handling-time-being-ignored/td-p/33611924

Suddenly we get a full page of "late shipment" items even though nothing was ordered before midnight that didn't ship. All our items with 2 day-10 day, or longer handling time said "arrives in 3 days" no matter where shipping to. 

Another issue started at the same time as this one. It also applies the "same day shipping cut off" settings - which should only apply when on 0 day handling time - on all of our listings. Our cutoffs are never at midnight.

Handling time is completely ignored, and same day cutoff always applies, extending the handling time even further beyond midnight.

And I researched what caused these errors. Remember Guaranteed Delivery used to have Handling Time or D2D methods? When they deprecated Guaranteed Delivery, they removed the options from our setting pages, but behind the scenes, our stores are STILL - TO THIS DAY - set to either D2D or Handling Time. If you were set to D2D, you still have the D2D options in your rate tables/etc, and they STILL ACTIVELY APPLY - albeit with bugs.

There is no way to "un-enroll" yourself from GD or switch this option. They removed the ability to do that. But they didn't migrate everyone to a new shipping system. They left the remnants of the old/legacy system.

I conveyed this to leadership/supervisors/community managers/etc time and time again. Sadly, nobody even knows what you're talking about when you mention GD anymore. I gave up hope on them fixing this. The best hope is that they come up with a brand new shipping system and move over to it sometime in the future.

That's the problem with their development direction of not repairing glitches. Many of us here are on two different shipping systems, and eBay isn't even aware of it.

It's easily reproduceable. You can reproduce this yourself if you network with some others. Compare your rate table pages with them, and once you find someone with different rate tables than yours, try using the same shipping settings as them and watch the differences between your listings, and how handling time works when you get orders.

Message 139 of 298
latest reply

@zamo-zuan wrote:

@onefootflippers wrote:

@zamo-zuan wrote:

I'd like to add that the fees don't just hurt sellers, it makes ebay as a whole less competitive against other marketplaces.

Which other marketplaces are significantly cheaper than ebay?

This is asking the wrong question. The question is, which are eBay cheaper than? 

The whole reason eBay thrived was because people could order things online for cheaper than they can get at stores. That advantage is gone. 

So at this point, they need to be cheaper if they want business. Otherwise, what's the point? If you could order elsewhere, with the same or better prices, faster shipping, better return policies, why shop on eBay if they aren't cheaper?

This isn't even going in to the fact that they can search for cheaper prices on Google easier than eBay search considering the filters work much better that way. Problem in this case (for eBay) is that search engines also show other competitors.

But I can't stress it enough, why would anyone buy on eBay if it's NOT cheaper? Maybe some niche categories of items that are hard to find might be viable, maybe for used items. But for general merchandise? eBay has no advantages to buyers.

I'll be honest. If I'm buying something, it's not near the top of my list anymore. I truthfully don't even bother unless it's niche. 

Unless if maybe you're a scammer. Then you have a bit of a reason to buy on eBay...

100% agreed. The people that exclusively shop on eBay or a few in numbers. Samuel use Google, someone will use exclusively Amazon.  If I am buying something new, I might just look on Amazon. I might look on Amazon and eBay. 

So many sellers look for comps on eBay, think they are in great shape, and then wonder why sales are in the toilet. Consumers aren’t stupid. They don’t want to spend 10% on something they have to.  And they don’t want to deal with the variability on seller motivation to actually ship the item or describe it correctly.

eBay is great for a lot of things – collectibles, vinyl records, hard to find items, NOS.  New items that are also on Amazon? Not so much.

Message 140 of 298
latest reply

All I said was replies were not needed, However calling someone names for NO Good reason is Really Immature!

Message 141 of 298
latest reply

Awhile ago I called him out on his dvd's because he was getting bad feedback that they were all scratched up, etc, & I told him I would not even sell anything like that, That's when he stopped selling dvd's

Message 142 of 298
latest reply

Yes, Mercari can enforce its 3 day return policy, because those who use their platform agreed to those policies. Its not Mercari's problem if there's a legal dispute between buyers and sellers.

Just like ebay has the right to enforce its 30 day money back guarantee, as much as I don't agree with it.

Mercari also terminates the accounts of anyone who initiates a chargeback, this is also stated in their policies. This is in stark contrast to ebay, who openly allows buyers open chargebacks galore.

Message 143 of 298
latest reply

Yes, they do force me to ship overnight. They have for years. I have no control over the delivery estimates ebay provides my buyers. Those delivery estimates are often way off.

In some cases they give the buyers estimates that are clearly impossible to achieve, such as telling a buyer I had in California they should expect to receive their order the following day. I don't see how an order shipped from Missouri is going to land in someones mail box half way across the country literally overnight.

Message 144 of 298
latest reply

How does that translate to lower fees on Mercari? Because the fees buyers pay are far lower. Likewise, there are no store subscription, listing, or advertising fees. Placement in Google shopping is free with Mercari.

This is why I can sell a DVD for literally a few dollars and still turn a profit on Mercari, I could not do that on ebay.

Sellers don't have to pay for visibility on Mercari like they do on ebay.

Message 145 of 298
latest reply

why would anyone buy on eBay if it's NOT cheaper?

Because a lot of people are lazy & can't be bothered to shop around. If someone is looking around on eBay & they find something they like at a good price, they just buy it instead if wasting their time shopping around for an item they may or may not find cheaper elsewhere

I know this because I've done experiments where I've cross-listed some of my eBay items & put them on other platforms for cheaper. Same pictures. Same descriptions. Identical items. And guess where they sold? Ebay. Every single time. And I'm talking 20%-30% cheaper on those other platforms. Still sold on Ebay.

Message 146 of 298
latest reply

@powell-memorabilia 

You seem to be confusing the definition of an Employee with the definition of a Job.  You do NOT have to be an some companies Employee to have a job.  By your definition no one that works for themselves doesn't have a job, even if they are paid for performing whatever service it is they offer.

So when I was an consultant and paid by various companies for services I performed for them, I didn't have a job???  Sure could have fooled me, I could swear I was working job and being paid for the services I rendered.

pluraljobs
1a
: a regular remunerative position
got a part-time job as a waiter

she quit her job

b
: a specific duty, role, or function
The heart's job is to circulate blood.

c(1)
: something that has to be done : TASK
was given the job of delivering the bad news

(2)
: an undertaking requiring unusual exertion
it was a real job to talk over that noise

2a
: a piece of work
doing odd jobs around the house

Repairing the roof was a big job.

especially : a small miscellaneous piece of work undertaken on order at a stated rate
a car that needs a brake job

bthe object or material on which work is being done
csomething produced by or as if by work
did a nice job

dan example of a usually specified type ITEM
the limousine was a long white job

3asomething done for private advantage
the whole incident was a put-up job

ba criminal enterprise
specifically : ROBBERY
There comes a time in everyone's life when you need a lawyer. And I'm not implying that you're going to hold up a liquor store or pull a bank job anytime soon.Stephen Fenech

ca damaging or destructive bit of work
did a job on him

chiefly British state of affairs 

usually used with bad or good
it was a good job you didn't hit the old manE. L. Thomas

5plastic surgery for cosmetic purposes
an eye job

job

2 of 4

verb

jobbed; jobbing

intransitive verb

1to do odd or occasional pieces of work for hire
supported himself by jobbing in local orchestras

2to carry on public business for private gain

3to carry on the business of a middleman or wholesaler

transitive verb

1to buy and sell (something, such as stock) for profit SPECULATE

2to hire or let by the job or for a period of service
job a carriage

3to get, deal with, or effect by jobbery

4to do or cause to be done by separate portions or lots SUBCONTRACT 

often used with out
a publisher who knew the market might have jobbed out the work to factories in AsiaMichael Shnayerson

5to penalize or deprive unfairly
… fans and players who may still believe that … they were jobbed out of a World Championship …Roger Angell

job

3 of 4

adjective

1of or relating to a job or to employment
a guarantee of job security

2used in, engaged in, or done as job work
a job shop

British that is for hire for a given service or period
a job gardener

Job

4 of 4

noun (2)

1the hero of the book of Job who endures afflictions with fortitude and faith

2a narrative and poetic book of canonical Jewish and Christian Scripture

mam98031  •  Volunteer Community Member  •  Buyer/Seller since 1999
Message 147 of 298
latest reply

@meme6253 wrote:

All I said was replies were not needed, However calling someone names for NO Good reason is Really Immature!

The post of @conservitvs you are responding to did not call you or anyone else names.  Unlike your first line in your original post.  Just sayin'.

mam98031  •  Volunteer Community Member  •  Buyer/Seller since 1999
Message 148 of 298
latest reply

rreeppllyy

Message 149 of 298
latest reply

Title of post includes: "No replies needed"

Within 3 days, it's received nearly 150 replies.

Lol

Message 150 of 298
latest reply