cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Never paid

I sold 2 items recently and the bidder never paid even after numerous attempts to contact him. I eventually cancelled the order. However, I looked at his feedback as a buyer and they were all "positive", however AFTER reading the comments next to the "positive" feedback there were several times that this buyer NEVER paid to many buyers and they had warnings NOT to deal with this individual! This isn't fair as the seller should be able to leave negative feedback. I have been buying and selling on Ebay since 1998 and the feedback is supposed be for BOTH buyer and seller to leave honest feedback including NEGATIVE. If all of the "Positive" feedback with negative comments were "Negative" feedback it would have allowed us ahead of time to block this person. He should be suspended for all the hassle that he has put so many sellers through! Disgusting!

Message 1 of 10
latest reply
9 REPLIES 9

Re: Never paid

Welcome to eBay.... eBay only cares about the buyer. They don’t care much about the seller. I’ve talked to eBay numerous times about this. All they say is “we’ll look into it after you open a nonpayment case” and then nothing happens.  I’m getting 3-5 a week on average of nonpayment cases with similar reviews. It’s annoying but there’s nothing we can do to change it. 

Message 2 of 10
latest reply

There's more... if eBay sees the negative comments beside a buyer's positive mark, they'll remove them. Buyers get 100%.

Message 3 of 10
latest reply

The only way a seller can leave "negative" feedback is to check the positive feedback and then type in the complaint/warning.  Ebay doesn't allow the seller to leave negative feedback. I'm surprised they didn't have it removed - all it would have taken is their request. Problem with that is: the positive score stays but the comment disappears. 

Negative feedback for a seller is never removed for any reason. 

So much for fair and balanced.  It's only ONE of the reasons I'm leaving eBay. 

Message 4 of 10
latest reply

Buyers can have positive negative FB removed and the seller reported.

Best to set up an automatic Unpaid Item, eBay will automatically close the item after 4 days, relist it for you and give the “buyer” a strike, and you get your fees back.

Add the buyer to your BBL.

Also set up your account to block bids from all sellers with more that 2 unpaid strikes in 12 months.

eBay will never allow sellers to neg. the golden geese!

klhmdg  •  Volunteer Community Mentor
Message 5 of 10
latest reply

If anyone is having trouble with a buyer's negative feedback ebay now has it very easy for a seller to reply, and or, refute. on that feedback so sellers should do that and make sure others know what kind of buyer the person is.  I would almost think that after a certain amount of negative replies from sellers that maybe ebay would get the hint that this is not a good buyer.  

Message 6 of 10
latest reply

Sellers have been unable to leave negative or neutral ratings for buyers since 2008.

In your site preferences, you can choose to block bidders/buyers who have gotten two or more nonpayment strikes in the past year. That's much more effective than checking each buyer's feedback history.

Message 7 of 10
latest reply

"Negative" feedback it would have allowed us ahead of time to block this person. 

@vasta 

I think that is part of the "point" of  buyer IDs with only 100% positive.  eBay prefers that you do not know you are dealing with a non-payer (minor annoyance) or a full out phony snad scammer.   That is why we can no longer see what a buyer account has 'purchased' either.   It would do no good for eBay to allow you to see your "buyer" purchase 10 i-phones in the last month and got feedback for NONE of them, or they were the winning bidder for the same ten i-phones and reportedly (through feedback) filed a credit card chargeback for nine of them.

The lack of transparency has its benefits for eBay. 

When eBay went to the no negs for buyers, my good customers were ANGRY.  They felt that they worked hard to be "good buyers" and now they got to have the same ratings as the biggest scammers on the site. 

Not good, but that is how it is.  Sellers are NOT allowed to give truthful feedback, so the system becomes more useless. 

Message 8 of 10
latest reply

@vasta  sending 'numerous' communications for payment does nothing - don't waste your time as eBay already sends invoices, reminders, etc.  UPI is automated and you can set up when you want it to kick in (anywhere from 4 to I think 30 days).  If payment is not received, the sale is canceled and buyer gets a strike.

Also, as mentioned above, set your preferences to block IDs that have 2 or more nonpayments in the past 12 months.

eBay is not the only site that doesn't allow sellers to leave negative feedback - in fact, two of the sites I sell on you don't leave buyer FB at all - it's all one-sided.  And yes, there were very good reasons for more clear buyer feedback.

Sweating it over this stuff is pointless and just adds to the frustration of getting deadbeats keeping your items out of circulation for 5 days until cancellation.

“The most common way people give up their power is by thinking they don’t have any.”
— Alice Walker

#freedomtoread
#readbannedbooks
Message 9 of 10
latest reply

feedback is supposed be for BOTH buyer and seller to leave honest feedback including NEGATIVE.

Your opinion of what feedback is "supposed" to be does not match eBay's decision about how feedback actually works.

If all of the "Positive" feedback with negative comments were "Negative" feedback it would have allowed us ahead of time to block this person

I think eBay would argue that if all those sellers had followed through with non-payment strikes, and you had your buyer requirements set properly, he never would have been able to bid in the first place.

But the truth is that negative feedback would not accomplish what you hope it would, because on eBay there is nothing to stop a buyer from creating a new account to wipe the feedback slate clean.

In that alternate universe where you could give buyers a negative, those buyers would simply create a new account to avoid scrutiny.

Message 10 of 10
latest reply