cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

My views are low even with "Promoted Listings" . Is eBay throttling accounts ?

My views are low even with "Promoted Listings" . Is eBay throttling accounts ?  Or is the eBay thing just no longer an interest to todays buyers?

Message 1 of 50
latest reply
49 REPLIES 49

Both, a combination of the eBay's throttling and buyer frustration with the platform.

Message 2 of 50
latest reply

I don't believe eBay throttles accounts.  The business of selling has always been a precarious profession.  If your sales are down it may mean your pricing is not competitive or the items are not in high demand. 

Give it time.  

Message 3 of 50
latest reply

Yes, eBay throttles accounts all the time because they make less money that way.

Message 4 of 50
latest reply

@oachalon wrote:

Or is the eBay thing just no longer an interest to todays buyers?

Perhaps what you're selling is no longer an interest to todays buyers?

Papa Was A Rolling Stone - The Temptations
Message 5 of 50
latest reply

@oachalon wrote:

My views are low even with "Promoted Listings" . Is eBay throttling accounts ?  Or is the eBay thing just no longer an interest to todays buyers?

In my opinion its BOTH

Message 6 of 50
latest reply

Also consider that rising shipping costs are putting buyers off of eBay.  That $6.99 pair of jeans you're selling costs more than that to ship within the US, and $25-plus to ship to me in Canada.

Message 7 of 50
latest reply

Some say yes and some say no....

It is amazing what can be done these days on computers by computers...driverless cars in my city...so I say anything is possible. It freaks me out when I am behind on my motorcycle with no one in the car driving in front of me.

Message 8 of 50
latest reply

@hartungcards wrote:

Yes, eBay throttles accounts all the time because they make less money that way.

Wait a minute!

Why would they do it if they made LESS money?

That makes no sense!

Maybe just to **bleep** off their customers?

Papa Was A Rolling Stone - The Temptations
Message 9 of 50
latest reply

I think 'throttle' is the wrong word...

Are people boosted above you for various reasons? Most likely.

The algo isn't something we know, and is something we are always looking to try and be more favorable with.

Message 10 of 50
latest reply

@12345jamesstamps wrote:

Some say yes and some say no....

It is amazing what can be done these days on computers by computers...driverless cars in my city...so I say anything is possible. It freaks me out when I am behind on my motorcycle with no one in the car driving in front of me.

It's even worse when they're behind you. Seriously - is the even going to sense when to stop (the tech is lousy), or is the so-called "driver" too busy and important, and playing with their mobile to notice when to take over.

As for eBay - no, it's not such a big thing anymore - there's lots more competition.

“The most common way people give up their power is by thinking they don’t have any.”
— Alice Walker

#freedomtoread
#readbannedbooks
Message 11 of 50
latest reply

Honestly, I think it's just what you're selling. You're inventory is either very specific (car parts, adapters) or stuff that quite frankly, just isn't very desirable 

I'm not saying that stuff can't sell, it's just most people aren't casually browsing for a used 2001-2005 Pontiac Aztek tail light

Message 12 of 50
latest reply

@mordecai8614 wrote:

Honestly, I think it's just what you're selling. You're inventory is either very specific (car parts, adapters) or stuff that quite frankly, just isn't very desirable 

I'm not saying that stuff can't sell, it's just most people aren't casually browsing for a used 2001-2005 Pontiac Aztek tail light

Yes - yet eBay  is the place to look for stuff like that - it's just that they're very long tail. I have a few things like that. One item I sold after listing it for a couple of years (which is an outlier for me) and the happy buyer said they'd been looking for that exact thing for months and months. I try to have enough more quickly flipped items to even things out.

“The most common way people give up their power is by thinking they don’t have any.”
— Alice Walker

#freedomtoread
#readbannedbooks
Message 13 of 50
latest reply

Sellers think Ebay throttles sales sometimes, but that is typically out of not knowing why and it sounds good to them.  There is no proof of it, nor is it likely to be true.

It is far more likely competition.  The shear volume of other similar listings as well as the number of sellers selling in the same categories.  Competition in most categories is deep.  That is more likely the issue for all those sellers seeing slow sales.

mam98031  •  Volunteer Community Member  •  Buyer/Seller since 1999
Message 14 of 50
latest reply

Is a "today's buyer" a human? What's is a yesterday's buyer? What will a tomorrow's buyer be like? Deep stuff!

Message 15 of 50
latest reply