cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

My photo is showing as stock photo....say what?

I was checking categories on my listings and find this interesting.  Two different listings, same price and photo - one from Las Vegas with 3 watchers and eBay stating "lowest price" and the other is my listing from Glendale, AZ with no watchers.  The picture is the same - it is a picture I TOOK and EDITED, it is not a stock photo.  What the heck?   2.png1.jpg

Message 1 of 10
latest reply
9 REPLIES 9

Sellers can use photos posted in listings by other sellers. It's lazy and not in their best interest, but it can be done.

Message 2 of 10
latest reply

I know, but why is eBay saying it is a "Stock Photo" which implies it is not a photo of the actual item.

Message 3 of 10
latest reply

Pretty sure "stock photo" was added to the pic by the person that "borrowed" it. 

And it they are selling something that does not match the photo to the buyers desire, then it will cost them.

Message 4 of 10
latest reply

When you listed it, it went into the ebay catalog, hence becoming a 'stock photo'.

So if someone selects a pic from the ebay catalog rather than just copying from a listing, it is labeled as stock photo?

Message 6 of 10
latest reply

@heckofagame wrote:

So if someone selects a pic from the ebay catalog rather than just copying from a listing, it is labeled as stock photo?

I believe so. I didn't sell things that anyone else would have, so I never would have used it. Well, they might have one similar, or in different condition, but with antiques, there really can be no 'stock photo'.

But "stock photo" also shows on MY listing, and I am the one that uploaded it.  So eBay just decides to add "stock photo" to whatever pictures they want?  I'm going to delete the picture and load the original again to see what happens.

Message 8 of 10
latest reply

You gave ebay the rights to those photos when you uploaded them.  

Bet there's going to be 3 kabillion chinese knockoffs in about 10 mins!

Message 9 of 10
latest reply

@km181177 wrote:

But "stock photo" also shows on MY listing, and I am the one that uploaded it.  So eBay just decides to add "stock photo" to whatever pictures they want?  I'm going to delete the picture and load the original again to see what happens.

I didn't see that in your listing when I viewed it earlier, and I thought I looked at it before the time you revised it this afternoon. I have to admit I've never seen that caption in any listings, TBH. I did another search just now with the phrase "Kate Spade Flourish Black Beaded Flower Tassel Earrings," and while it picked up a lot of what looked like similar Kate Spade listings (and at least one knockoff), I didn't see "stock photo" anywhere. Maybe they only show it to the person whose photo got lifted for the catalog...?

When you're taking sharp, clear photos with a white background, the result is going to pretty clearly be catalog bait. That's what they want to see for photos that they can lift to be reused by others. (I'm not saying that's a good thing, just saying why it likely happened.)

Message 10 of 10
latest reply