cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Moving Staying With Friends Using Their IP Address

After years of living in my house it was sold and I will be staying with friends in another town, until I find a new house. It will probably take months to find and/ or build a new home , but I will still be selling  a limited inventory, that can easily be kept at their place. 

My concern is, I use a laptop, to do my listings.  (Using a phone is out of the question, can't stand looking at a small screen.)  I will be using their IP address. I've read horror stories, on here, where people claim to have  been booted off because someone else in a home they were in did something on eBay and it effected their ability to sell.  I don't want to have any problems.  I think it would be rude of me to ask them if they ever had a problem on eBay. 

Has anyone done this, had issues, know how to keep in good standing.  Any advice would be appreciated. 

I will be moving most of my inventory and belongings out next weekend and then staying here until the closing. 

Thank you in advance for your help.

Message 1 of 14
latest reply
13 REPLIES 13

Re: Moving Staying With Friends Using Their IP Address

I think it would be rude of me to ask them if they ever had a problem on eBay

@findersltd 

I think it would be prudent to ask exactly that. Your friends should respect the question... ask. Good luck to you!

Message 2 of 14
latest reply

Thanks. I would then wonder if they tell the truth or if they don't feel they should answer. I know the one sells on a clothing site so she would get it. The other one I don't now if he would be truthful.

Message 3 of 14
latest reply

Just curious, what happens if you do your listings using a public computer, perhaps a library. Or your laptop where internet is available like a coffee shop. I load all my photos with my phone and then complete the listings on my laptop.

Message 4 of 14
latest reply

I have no clue. I've only taken pics with my Nikon and uploaded to laptop.  And I've always done it from home. That's why I don't know if the people who say they have been banned where actually not telling the truth. I don't know if in public places the IP  address is a different. 

That is why I figured I would ask. I want to keep doing this and not shut down my store until I find a place. 

Message 5 of 14
latest reply

Personally, I would just use my cellphone as a mobile hotspot for internet while I was doing eBay activities. That way you wouldn't be using their IP address for your business.

Message 6 of 14
latest reply

Do the people who you are staying with sell on Ebay? If they do not you have nothing to worry about. Never sign into your account on someone else's computer and you will have nothing to worry about.

Message 7 of 14
latest reply

Thank you, that was what I was concerned. I would be using my own laptop. The woman sells clothes on 2 sites, not here. I don't know about her husband. 

Message 8 of 14
latest reply

@findersltd wrote:

Thank you, that was what I was concerned. I would be using my own laptop. The woman sells clothes on 2 sites, not here. I don't know about her husband. 

Unfortunately, they could have sold on this site previously and have an older/unresolved issue.

I have the ability to use my Samsung Galaxy S22 (newer version of the Note) as a hot spot for my laptop.

You could also use their provider, but set up a separate IP address (you would need to pay for it of course) and have your own dedicated bandwidth, etc.  Adding 1 person, depending on their plan and what they purchase, can really slow everything down if everyone is on working, streaming, etc.   We have 2 dedicated lines for us - one is just for work (day job) and the other for household.    Well worth the investment and cheaper than what I am charged for hot spot capability.

Good luck!

....... "The Ranger isn't gonna like it Yogi"......... Boo-Boo knew what he was talking about!

Posting ID Only.......
Yes, I have no Bananas, only Flamethrowers.......
Message 9 of 14
latest reply

@mtgraves7984 wrote:

@findersltd 

I think it would be prudent to ask exactly that. Your friends should respect the question... ask. Good luck to you!

Yes, but at the same consideration, the friends need to be able to trust that their own account will not get suspended for any policy violation of the OP.

For some......It seems wisdom has been chasing you, but you have always been faster.
Message 10 of 14
latest reply

Post #6 is the easy answer. 

Message 11 of 14
latest reply

The odds that a random friend would be ebay banned and they are on a fixed IP address and the ban was recent enough for ebay to even trust that the same IP address was even related is astronomically low, unless you know something you are not mentioning. 

Message 12 of 14
latest reply

@janet9988 wrote:

@mtgraves7984 wrote:

@findersltd 

Yes, but at the same consideration, the friends need to be able to trust that their own account will not get suspended for any policy violation of the OP.

Good point.  The boomerang could/might go either way.  

....... "The Ranger isn't gonna like it Yogi"......... Boo-Boo knew what he was talking about!

Posting ID Only.......
Yes, I have no Bananas, only Flamethrowers.......
Message 13 of 14
latest reply

Actually not at all. He's a jeweler by day, is developing games at night, she's a full time accountant, from home,  and sells on 2 other sites part time. 

I think it's more that I know they always have friends and family over and you never know with others. Yes her family does go on their internet. When I'm at home and people come over (very rarely) they are not allowed to use my internet.  

I don't know, maybe I'm just over thinking the whole thing.  I just read what others have said and I always thought the same thing, it's not the whole story. Never gave it much thought because never dreamed I would move , yet here I am.  This whole move has me stressed to the max. 

Message 14 of 14
latest reply