cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Monthly Chat Update

Hi sellers,

We wanted to let you know that we're making a couple of updates to the way we communicate site changes and topics with our sellers. We've decided to retire the monthly chat’s current format. Instead, we will schedule our chats with eBay staff around timely updates and recent changes. Moving forward, we will host the chats in the Buying & Selling boards depending on the appropriate topic, and you will have a week to submit your questions.

As always, our Community team will be focusing on keeping you updated and addressing any questions or concerns you may have in the meantime. 

We know staying up to date is important, so we recommend attending our quarterly eBay Seller Check-In. Register for Spring Seller Check-In here. This way, you'll be able to hear from eBay executives and staff and ask any questions you may have in real time. Don't worry, we'll still be providing educational content and useful tips through our Announcements and What's New posts. 

As always, 

Thank you for being a part of the eBay community

Message 1 of 44
latest reply
43 REPLIES 43

Monthly Chat Update

@community_team wrote:

Moving forward, we will host the chats in the Buying & Selling boards depending on the appropriate topic, and you will have a week to submit your questions.

Thanks for the update! Does this mean the live chat format will be retired?

Will questions be answered throughout the week or just at the end of the week?

If it's at the end of the week, will there be no opportunity for follow up questions as are often necessary in this type of format?

GLORIOUS!

Confused about the switch to eBay discounted shipping? Read this discussion to make an informed decision about opt in / opt out.
Message 2 of 44
latest reply

Monthly Chat Update

Much less direct interaction.

So what's new.

"If a product doesn't sell, raise the price" - Reese Palley
"If it sold FAST, it was priced too low" - also Reese Palley
Message 3 of 44
latest reply

Monthly Chat Update

About those "timely" updates............ hopefully they will be more timely than this update........

And by the way, you might update the Monthly chat page with this info.....

And, considering the many times,we've had to ask if something was a glitch or a change.......and that you've had to "check" with team......any chance there is going to be more transparency on changes?  Will we know about them in advance........will you? 

Message 4 of 44
latest reply

Monthly Chat Update

Sigh.

So much I could say, but.....why bother?

Message 5 of 44
latest reply

Monthly Chat Update

I definitely agree something needs to be posted on the chat page and while you're at it - this post should be an announcement not just a regular post and should be made sticky so it stays at the top and doesn't get lost in the mix. @community_team 

Beyond that, like @my-cottage-books-and-antiques lots of things I could say but eBay has made it crystal clear what their position really is on "seller engagement" here so...why bother?

Message 6 of 44
latest reply

Monthly Chat Update

@valueaddedresource wrote:

I definitely agree something needs to be posted on the chat page and while you're at it - this post should be an announcement not just a regular post and should be made sticky so it stays at the top and doesn't get lost in the mix.

This post on selling board is pinned. Are you not seeing the same @valueaddedresource ?

It was also posted on the monthly chat board (before it was posted on the selling board), but it was not pinned on that board. Since eBay did not de-pin the January monthly chat, you and @dhbookds  probably did not see the post on that board, 2nd in line.

GLORIOUS!

Confused about the switch to eBay discounted shipping? Read this discussion to make an informed decision about opt in / opt out.
Message 7 of 44
latest reply

Monthly Chat Update

@wastingtime101 

It was also posted on the monthly chat board (before it was posted on the selling board), but it was not pinned on that board. Since eBay did not de-pin the January monthly chat, you and @dhbookds  probably did not see the post on that board, 2nd in line.

Yes, you are correct..........I did not see it...... and it was posted before this post........of course, I had no reason to look below the Jan post, since the posts are/have been previously in date order.......I did look at the squib on the right about Monthly Chat where I expected any change would be detailed, which still stands.....

dhbookds_0-1708144870025.png

Sorry.........but that still doesn't cut with me.........just another example of carelessness that is just inexcusable when  you are trying to communicate with people. 

Message 8 of 44
latest reply

Monthly Chat Update

I know right? But in saying that those chats seemed pretty useless each time I read them.

I would love to start a poll asking just how many members issues on those chats were:

a. Actually receiving help/update/info later, as promised in the chat?

b. Was anything at all able to be answered by the chat rep's?

c. Resolved at all, or just ignored as usual?

d. Actually passed on to the relevant team?

e. Any response from so called ''relevant team'' later?

And as to d.  Why would questions have to be passed on at all? When they changed it, I was led to believe the weekly chat ended so the monthly chat could have ''experts'' responding (I know) LMAO

It is like seller's have got the plague the way eBay avoids them......

I have been imported from Australia and this is my posting ID
Message 9 of 44
latest reply

Monthly Chat Update

I don't disagree @dhbookds that communication surrounding this change could have been a lot better. I was just pointing out the post you and Liz asked for does exist on the monthly chat board, but it's not obvious since they forgot to de-pin the last chat. 😉

GLORIOUS!

Message 10 of 44
latest reply

Monthly Chat Update

@community_team wrote:

Hi sellers,

Instead, we will schedule our chats with eBay staff around timely updates and recent changes.

So when will the first of these new update chats happen?

Moving forward, we will host the chats in the Buying & Selling boards depending on the appropriate topic, and you will have a week to submit your questions.

So will you answer every question submitted all at one specific time?

Will there be an opportunity for sellers to re-engage with the community team once those answers are provided? 

Will that answer and questions board stay pinned to the boards for the purposes of educating sellers who were unable to submit questions?

As always, our Community team will be focusing on keeping you updated and addressing any questions or concerns you may have in the meantime. 

Can I post questions that I have regarding the current state or iteration of the EIS program as it exist right now and expect an answer in the near future? Or should I wait for the first Q&A session?

Message 11 of 44
latest reply

Monthly Chat Update

@community_team wrote:

Hi sellers,

We know staying up to date is important, so we recommend attending our quarterly eBay Seller Check-In. Register for Spring Seller Check-In here. This way, you'll be able to hear from eBay executives and staff and ask any questions you may have in real time.

As always, 

Thank you for being a part of the eBay community

Can I ask selling questions regarding the categories that I sell in during the Spring Seller Check-In even though they do not appear on the Check-In's agenda? i.e. I don't sell fashion, I know how to do my taxes, and Terapeak doesn't work very well for what I do but I have that part of my business covered by other outside 3rd party applications.

Message 12 of 44
latest reply

Monthly Chat Update

@wastingtime101 wrote:

@valueaddedresource wrote:

I definitely agree something needs to be posted on the chat page and while you're at it - this post should be an announcement not just a regular post and should be made sticky so it stays at the top and doesn't get lost in the mix.

This post on selling board is pinned. Are you not seeing the same @valueaddedresource ?

Thanks @wastingtime101  - Sorry if i worded it poorly, I meant done as an announcement and pinned so it would stay at the top when looking at the main community page.

Honestly, I rarely click through to individual board sections here as there are often interesting and helpful discussions across the boards and I find it easier to keep up by just viewing the main page sorted chronologically by replies.

You're right that I missed the post in the chat section but I agree with @dhbookds that the way all of this was handled is just another example of eBay's poor communication and the fact that the many dedicated and knowledgeable users here are increasingly just an afterthought.

Admittedly, the handling of the announcement might have landed a little differently if we hadn't spent 3 days being completely ignored and not even given the courtesy of a reply to repeated tags.

Message 13 of 44
latest reply

Monthly Chat Update

@downunder-61 wrote:

I know right? But in saying that those chats seemed pretty useless each time I read them.

I would love to start a poll asking just how many members issues on those chats were:

a. Actually receiving help/update/info later, as promised in the chat?

b. Was anything at all able to be answered by the chat rep's?

c. Resolved at all, or just ignored as usual?

d. Actually passed on to the relevant team?

e. Any response from so called ''relevant team'' later?

And as to d.  Why would questions have to be passed on at all? When they changed it, I was led to believe the weekly chat ended so the monthly chat could have ''experts'' responding (I know) LMAO

It is like seller's have got the plague the way eBay avoids them......

@downunder-61  "It is like seller's have got the plague the way eBay avoids them" - you've got that right!

Absolutely the chat had become pretty useless...some might even wonder if that could have been by design. 😉

We've been discussing that very thing in another thread this week while we were waiting for answers about the fate of the chat.

https://community.ebay.com/t5/Selling/February-monthly-chat/m-p/34288548/highlight/true#M2355207 

If the powers that be try to use waning seller interest/participation as a "reason" for why they are pulling back on this particular avenue for engagement, I hope at the very least people won't fall for that line that easily.

I firmly believe lack of usefulness or waning participation is not an accident. As we are so often told around here, "it is working as intended."

Even trying to take the most charitable view of things and assuming this wasn't the intended result- this is the very predictable outcome of moving from a weekly open chat to monthly limited topic chats and many other changes that have been implemented to the community in the last few years.

Long ago perma-ban purges to more recent (last few years) changes including chat schedules, official staff interactions becoming few and far between, heavy handed and uneven moderation and more have set the tone and course for what the community has become - and those are all things within eBay's direct control.

I see it a lot like much of the criticism a certain occasional world's richest man gets for what has become of Twitter - that platform (for better or worse) is largely a reflection of decisions current ownership has made just as this forum, any usefulness it may or may not have, and eBay's seller engagement overall is reflective of eBay management's priorities, internal policies, and strategic decision-making - or lack thereof.

I simply cannot take any platitude about seller engagement from eBay seriously as long as they continue down this path.

As @simply-the-best-for-you  so aptly put it in that thread "Honestly, it's just feeling like an afterthought for eBay these days...It's hard to feel valued, when you feel like an afterthought."

Message 14 of 44
latest reply

Monthly Chat Update

@wastingtime101 wrote:

Well, it's pinned there now. Interestingly, it is also not locked (yet), in case anyone wants to post a followup comment there: 

https://community.ebay.com/t5/Monthly-Chat-with-eBay-Staff/Monthly-Chat-Update/m-p/34294877#M30392 

Message 15 of 44
latest reply