Did you mean: 

Money on hold

Buyer wants a refund but money is on hold

Message 1 of 17
latest reply
16 REPLIES 16

Re: Money on hold

You can refund from Held funds.

That's actually one reason payments to new sellers are Held.

BTW you can also use Held funds to buy shipping labels, in fact that a quick and dirty way to confirm that you have been paid, by buying the label to ship the goods.

Message 2 of 17
latest reply

@reallynicestamps wrote:

You can refund from Held funds.

That's actually one reason payments to new sellers are Held.

BTW you can also use Held funds to buy shipping labels, in fact that a quick and dirty way to confirm that you have been paid, by buying the label to ship the goods.

Are you sure about that?  Regarding refunds.

@reallynicestamps 

mam98031  •  Volunteer Community Member  •  Buyer/Seller since 1999
Message 3 of 17
latest reply

Did they open a return?  If they are doing a return, once they send the item back you should be able to refund from the held funds.  Just a caution, don't refund until you get the item back for a return.   If the buyer is not doing a return, what is going on?

Message 4 of 17
latest reply

@just-me wrote:

Did they open a return?  If they are doing a return, once they send the item back you should be able to refund from the held funds.  Just a caution, don't refund until you get the item back for a return.   If the buyer is not doing a return, what is going on?

That is a really good point for @buster56 .  By the time the buyer returns the item, the money may no longer be on hold.  

And EXCELLENT advise highlighted in pink above !!!

Message 5 of 17
latest reply

Thank you so very much. 

Message 6 of 17
latest reply

Happy to help.  Come here anytime you have a question or concern and we will try to help you.

Welcome to selling on Ebay.  Know that most transactions go off without any issues.

Message 7 of 17
latest reply

Actually, if your funds are still being held when you receive the item back, Ebay will take the refund from your payment source, and the held funds will eventually be removed.

``````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````

“Never pick a fight with an ugly person. They don’t have anything to lose.” ~Robin Williams
Message 8 of 17
latest reply

@bonjourami wrote:

Actually, if your funds are still being held when you receive the item back, Ebay will take the refund from your payment source, and the held funds will eventually be removed.

That has been my experience too, but @reallynicestamps says differently and they often give great advice, so I asked about it.  They haven't responded yet.  

With that said, the return process does give the Seller some good time for the hold to lift.  and if it isn't by the time the item is back, contacting Ebay may be a good choice to see if the hold could be lifted as Ebay can see there is a claim and they can see the tracking to know it was just returned to the seller.

Message 9 of 17
latest reply

Yes I have a couple of Ebay friends with held funds and the refund was taken from their bank acct they had as their payment source, then the pending funds were removed.The one friend said she was told it was done that way to prevent the buyer from then doing a chargeback on that pending refund.

``````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````

“Never pick a fight with an ugly person. They don’t have anything to lose.” ~Robin Williams
Message 10 of 17
latest reply

@bonjourami wrote:

Yes I have a couple of Ebay friends with held funds and the refund was taken from their bank acct they had as their payment source, then the pending funds were removed.The one friend said she was told it was done that way to prevent the buyer from then doing a chargeback on that pending refund.

I'm thinking that was incorrect information.  Ebay can tell if a buyer has been refunded, so if that buyer then comes back and files a Chargeback, I'm confident Ebay turns it back on the CCC as it is / has been refunded.  Besides the CCC should be able to tell as well since the refunds can ONLY go back on the original funding source.

Message 11 of 17
latest reply

Sellers can also add a credit card to their selling account to back up funds if they come up short.

At times, being a nickel short will stall the refund and the seller receives a notice from eBay.

Posting ID
Message 12 of 17
latest reply

I think so too, just the usual misinformation from a csr.

Message 13 of 17
latest reply

@lakefor94 wrote:

Sellers can also add a credit card to their selling account to back up funds if they come up short.

At times, being a nickel short will stall the refund and the seller receives a notice from eBay.

Yes.  I did mention that earlier.  But I believe it is actually a required element for sellers now.

Message 14 of 17
latest reply

@mam98031 

@bonjourami That makes sense, although it is pretty convoluted.

The point being that the seller still owes the refund Held or not, although as others have said , No Refund without Return.

Message 15 of 17
latest reply