cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Messed up searches not showing full matches

I have noticed lately that searches are showing a lot of not what I am looking for.  You are supposed to put your search words in parenthesis for exact search?  But I think it is just a new way to show more advertised / sponsored items instead. Just more nuisance and frustration for us sellers. 

They have also started to show not a full list of matches. What if my listing doesn't get to be shown as it is not favored by the algorithms, when in fact a buyer might be searching for it? 

There are also times with "0 returns " on a search, and when I repeat it, it does come with a couple of matches.

Message 1 of 6
latest reply
5 REPLIES 5

Re: Messed up searches not showing full matches

I'll address one issue. You don't need to use parentheses in the Search box.

Message 2 of 6
latest reply

if you don't, the search comes back with unrelated items. 

If you do, the search will come back with the exact words contained in the title.  Supposedly.  

Message 3 of 6
latest reply

use quotations in search (not parentheses) but it's not necessary. 

With item specifics and even before item specifics, if a seller inputs other 'key words' in the various 'part numbers' as there are about 5 different types of 'part numbers') that also makes certain 'other' items show up. 

For instance, I sell Stainless Engine Covers; also known on many other websites as 'under hood dress up' and I will get Car Covers (that covers the entire car NOT made of Stainless (obviously) or I will get 'Dresses' for Women using the other.

The 'keywords' depending on them, will bring up in the search anyone 1 of the words used. If you want to be sure it doesn't do that- use quotations (used to work, not so sure anymore)

Message 4 of 6
latest reply

Oh yes , sorry I meant to say quotations. haha 

Thanks 

Message 5 of 6
latest reply

@shengpetia wrote:

I have noticed lately that searches are showing a lot of not what I am looking for.  You are supposed to put your search words in parenthesis for exact search?  But I think it is just a new way to show more advertised / sponsored items instead. Just more nuisance and frustration for us sellers. 

They have also started to show not a full list of matches. What if my listing doesn't get to be shown as it is not favored by the algorithms, when in fact a buyer might be searching for it? 

There are also times with "0 returns " on a search, and when I repeat it, it does come with a couple of matches.

All I have to say to you post is:

If you can not find what you want: how can you purchase it???

Message 6 of 6
latest reply