cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Message from eBay needs better wording to be understandable....

Received a message that my account was to be debited for outstanding fees and expenses. The way this is worded made me think I had a return, but I never received any notice of a return. Then I thought a buyer had opened a charge back, but also didn't have any notices of that. Then I thought USPS was charging me fees they felt I had underpaid. Basically I was going through every scenario trying to figure out why I had a pending charge because there was no explanation in the message from eBay. All it says is that they are debiting my account using my CC. 

I placed my store on time away so after the latest deposit I have no current pending payments left in my account. That's when it dawned on me this is the start of the month and they are simply charging my store fees. Store fees, that what this is. Why couldn't they have worded the message as "your account is being debited for STORE FEES". Two simple words would have made all the difference. 

Store fees....two simple words....

Message 1 of 25
latest reply
1 BEST ANSWER

Accepted Solutions

@lamber9347 wrote:

Received a message that my account was to be debited for outstanding fees and expenses.  ....  That's when it dawned on me this is the start of the month and they are simply charging my store fees. Store fees, that what this is. Why couldn't they have worded the message as "your account is being debited for STORE FEES". Two simple words would have made all the difference. 

What you are seeing is the difference between experienced, local designers & developers vs newbies fresh out of college who "know it all" and overseas outsourced developers who don't understand your local culture.

I developed systems for three decades.  When I started out, I listened, a lot.  The people I was working with were all a bit older than me (7-10yrs) and most were very very good at what they did.  By paying attention to what they were doing, I learned how to think something thru before you start playing with code.  And when you do code, Keep It Simple Stupid so the next clueless contractor can read it and modify it more easily.  It helps.

When you send things out to people who are only concerned with slamming out code and meeting unrealistic deadlines, you get applications that seem a little brain-dead.  Or that don't really sync up with the rest of your corporate optics.  When you start thinking about it, you'll start seeing it.

The solution here is to not only pass the messaging subroutine the message number you want sent, but also a text field that can be used to enhance the readability/clarity of the message.  It doesn't take that long to do, and it's not difficult to code... but you have to think about it, you have to understand your customer (sellers) and what they need to do what they do the best that they can.  Time wasted trying to figure out what a simple message is about is time not spent on developing new inventory, posting new inventory, answering customer questions, or just managing your business.

I guess they don't teach that in college anymore.  Maybe that's why the job description is "coder" instead of "developer".  Kinda sad, actually.

-Bob.

RKS Solutions LLC logo
Ask me about SixBit and the tools I use to sell - I'm happy to share!
"A journey of a thousand miles begins by getting off the couch"

View Best Answer in original post

Message 15 of 25
latest reply
24 REPLIES 24

I'm guessing the system has 1 type of debit, as shown on the Payment-Report; for 'other fees' (which I see for 2nd category fees, Promotion fees on sales and once a month which also does NOT State 'Store Fee', just 'other fee' like all the other items on this report in that column). The 'other fees' are in 2 different columns, one being the .30c per transaction, the 2nd column being the actual FVF. 

Message 2 of 25
latest reply

@stainlessenginecovers wrote:

I'm guessing the system has 1 type of debit, as shown on the Payment-Report; for 'other fees' (which I see for 2nd category fees, Promotion fees on sales and once a month which also does NOT State 'Store Fee', just 'other fee' like all the other items on this report in that column). The 'other fees' are in 2 different columns, one being the .30c per transaction, the 2nd column being the actual FVF. 

Yes I agree and part of the issue here. This generic labeling for fees they are choosing to use inadvertently creates situations which hinder effective communication....

Message 3 of 25
latest reply

I received the exact message on 6/17. Only difference... I knew the amount of my invoice and it matched. LOL

Message 4 of 25
latest reply

@mtgraves7984 wrote:

I received the exact message on 6/17. Only difference... I knew the amount of my invoice and it matched. LOL

Yes once it dawned on me what this was for I was fine, but we are all programed to think the worst. If only they would just word things differently from the start....

Message 5 of 25
latest reply

@lamber9347 wrote:

@mtgraves7984 wrote:

Yes once it dawned on me what this was for I was fine, but we are all programed to think the worst. If only they would just word things differently from the start....

Okay. Let me see if I can wrap my head around this.

You want ebay (EBAY!!! of all people) to make things, simple, easy, and direct for a seller?

HA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Message 6 of 25
latest reply

@jonathankirkland wrote:

@lamber9347 wrote:

@mtgraves7984 wrote:

You want ebay (EBAY!!! of all people) to make things, simple, easy, and direct for a seller?

A dream... is a wish... your heart makes....

Message 7 of 25
latest reply

@lamber9347 wrote:

@jonathankirkland wrote:

@lamber9347 wrote:

@mtgraves7984 wrote:

A dream... is a wish... your heart makes....

@lamber9347 

I dreamed that another poster would bring this up... I even saved the email in a folder simply for future reference. 😲

Message 8 of 25
latest reply

@jonathankirkland wrote:

That would be nice

May I suggest, EBay can easily afford the services of people with a degree in communications.

Message 9 of 25
latest reply

I received this yesterday.

In my case the charge is for two eBay Standard International Shipping Fees.  I confirmed it within the Managed Payments Transactions as they specific what listing the charges are against.

Someone not using due diligence may kick this back to their Credit Card Company as a Charge Back/Reversal.

Screenshot 2021-07-02 191015.jpg

Message 10 of 25
latest reply

That's when it dawned on me this is the start of the month and they are simply charging my store fees. Store fees, that what this is.

Yeah, store fees, that's what it is, pay the piper and stop whining.  What could be so intrusive?  You clicked "I Agree" before authorizing the legal document that states, "store fees" come every month before you started your store.  Two simple words....from a machine?  Arnold says "Get over it", three words.  "It's a 3 letter word, Jobs, J.O.B.S."

Message 11 of 25
latest reply

@stephenmorgan 

What do you get if you click the "See Charge Details" link?

Message 12 of 25
latest reply

great, thanks for the post

Message 13 of 25
latest reply

@slippinjimmy wrote:

@stephenmorgan 

What do you get if you click the "See Charge Details" link?

That is a good question. 

This is what I got when I just now clicked on it.  Does not explain anything.  I do not even know what it means. 

It sounds like they are talking about Managed Payments, but I have been on Managed Payments for about 11 months now.

Screenshot 2021-07-02 221455.jpg

Message 14 of 25
latest reply

@lamber9347 wrote:

Received a message that my account was to be debited for outstanding fees and expenses.  ....  That's when it dawned on me this is the start of the month and they are simply charging my store fees. Store fees, that what this is. Why couldn't they have worded the message as "your account is being debited for STORE FEES". Two simple words would have made all the difference. 

What you are seeing is the difference between experienced, local designers & developers vs newbies fresh out of college who "know it all" and overseas outsourced developers who don't understand your local culture.

I developed systems for three decades.  When I started out, I listened, a lot.  The people I was working with were all a bit older than me (7-10yrs) and most were very very good at what they did.  By paying attention to what they were doing, I learned how to think something thru before you start playing with code.  And when you do code, Keep It Simple Stupid so the next clueless contractor can read it and modify it more easily.  It helps.

When you send things out to people who are only concerned with slamming out code and meeting unrealistic deadlines, you get applications that seem a little brain-dead.  Or that don't really sync up with the rest of your corporate optics.  When you start thinking about it, you'll start seeing it.

The solution here is to not only pass the messaging subroutine the message number you want sent, but also a text field that can be used to enhance the readability/clarity of the message.  It doesn't take that long to do, and it's not difficult to code... but you have to think about it, you have to understand your customer (sellers) and what they need to do what they do the best that they can.  Time wasted trying to figure out what a simple message is about is time not spent on developing new inventory, posting new inventory, answering customer questions, or just managing your business.

I guess they don't teach that in college anymore.  Maybe that's why the job description is "coder" instead of "developer".  Kinda sad, actually.

-Bob.

RKS Solutions LLC logo
Ask me about SixBit and the tools I use to sell - I'm happy to share!
"A journey of a thousand miles begins by getting off the couch"
Message 15 of 25
latest reply