cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Message from buyer wanting me to cancel listing so they can buy it now-scam?

The auction has multiple bids and 5 days left. The message is from someone who hasn’t made a bid yet. It is a longer term account with a great rating.  
1. The listing allows best offer, why don’t they just make an offer?

2. I would have to pay FVF on the highest existing bid, right?  
3. It would be the 1st time I ended a listing with bids, is there still 1 free per year?

It is a popular item, I received an offer from someone else but they have a low rating and 1 month old account.

Thanks for any help you can provide!

Message 1 of 31
latest reply
30 REPLIES 30

Re: Message from buyer wanting me to cancel listing so they can buy it now-scam?

lol ! Should have specified that he is not included in the listing. Although after he woke me up at 5:30 this morning I might reconsider. 😉

Message 16 of 31
latest reply

Re: Message from buyer wanting me to cancel listing so they can buy it now-scam?

@policequilts wrote:

I agree with the others not to cancel your auction.
If I was a bidder, I would be really put off if it was cancelled and I took the time to bid on the item.

(PS :  Is the black and white cat included?  🙂  )

I know that cat is adorable!

Message 17 of 31
latest reply

Most of your other listings- all that Zumba stuff- would do much better as a fixed price listing instead of an auction. Research the prices of sold items- if low you may consider bundling some of it together instead of selling separately.

Message 18 of 31
latest reply

@bigbellybean wrote:

lol ! Should have specified that he is not included in the listing. Although after he woke me up at 5:30 this morning I might reconsider. 😉

From the looks of that cat, I'm thinking he's not within the First Class Package range. Maybe Priority Mail Flat Rate Large...

As for the buyer's offer, it's ridiculous, and he or she is probably well aware that you would need to cancel everyone else's bid before ending the auction, with no real guarantee that s/he will buy it when all is said and done. Plus, of course, they could simply bid that amount they're offering and wait to win it, if their offer was really better than what you're likely to get from anyone else, so you might wonder why they didn't just do that in the first place.

As of this moment, you have 95 watchers on it (including me), so I think it's safe to say that you have a large enough number of interested potential bidders, everyone who might bid on it is probably already aware of it, and you're likely to get a very good sale price for it. Let it ride.

Message 19 of 31
latest reply

@bigbellybean wrote:

That big boy is going to take a large flat rate for shipping at least!  (I love tuxedos)

Oh yes - keep the dress running.  That era Gunne Sax goes for good money, particularly with some of those touches, and that one looks in wonderful condition.  So often the dresses just fell apart due to all the gauze getting brittle, or they were worn to death or whatever.  

70s size 8 is about a modern size 2 (there was an industry size shift in the early 80s from standard pattern sizing) which is why it seems so small for the size.

“The most common way people give up their power is by thinking they don’t have any.”
— Alice Walker

#freedomtoread
#readbannedbooks
Message 20 of 31
latest reply

To the OP. If you cancel an auction with bids on it. The item is sold to the highest bidder at the time you cancel the post.   I would also never end an auction early. You are asking for a string of bad FB. 

Message 21 of 31
latest reply

That's a big cat you have! Pretty too.

Message 22 of 31
latest reply

Thank you very much for the advice!  I taught zumba for 5 years and bought items as giveaways or to sell to students. I was struggling with how to sell on eBay instead. I have to research listing multiple quantities for bulk t-shirts, same style different colors. 

Message 23 of 31
latest reply

I wanted to see an update on the dress listing.

You made a good decision in not accepting the offer and continuing the auction.

So far, you have 120 watchers  ( I think it was the cat that brought in those views.  😉 🙂  )

Message 24 of 31
latest reply

You would pay the FINAL VALUE FEE on the total that the winning bidder pays you after the auction has ended.  That would be the FVF on the item price, the shipping and the state sales tax, if applicable.

Message 25 of 31
latest reply

@doug_5857 wrote:

To the OP. If you cancel an auction with bids on it. The item is sold to the highest bidder at the time you cancel the post.  

Actually that is now a seller choice: you can cancel all bids and thus sell to no one, or just end the auction in its present state and sell to the current leader.

Obviously the right answer in this case was Neither of the Above. 😁 10 hours to go and it's looking very good.

Message 26 of 31
latest reply

@a_c_green wrote:
10 hours to go and it's looking very good.

So... the final sale price was a nice $308.99, with the winning bid swooping in 2 seconds from the end of the auction. I'm going to guess here, @bigbellybean, that that was higher than the offer you received? Was the winner the same person who tried to get you to end the auction earlier?

(The cat went for $37.50 plus Shipping.)

Message 27 of 31
latest reply

There was quite the flurry of bids at the end !  That was more than the offer and the winner was not the person who made the offer.  Unless that person has multiple usernames, they never bid at all. 
I am currently training the cat to pose in all my listings 😉

Message 28 of 31
latest reply

You are under no obligation to respond to a request to do a Buy-It-Now for someone. I always ignore those requests, thinking the lack of response speaks for itself.

P.S.  You show your cat in your picture.  Many people are allergic to cats and avoid items, especially clothing, from homes with pets or smokers. 

Message 29 of 31
latest reply

Not sure how a buyer can have a bad rating!  Sellers are not permitted to give negative feedback to buyers these days.

Message 30 of 31
latest reply