cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Market Saturation: is there a cure for this plague?

I assume this theme is a horse long ago dead and thoroughly beaten, but I'm feeling social, and want to talk about it with my fellow sellers. Several items I occasion to selling - vintage telephones, vintage photo slides, etc... Have seemed to reach a point of market saturation on eBay.  Just several years ago, some of the items I had listed would have been snapped up in a second, and now they sit for weeks, sometimes months before getting a single watcher. What is the solution to this saturation? How has it impacted you as a seller? Do you think eBay will experience a resurgence in the near future?

elvis animated GIF
Message 1 of 69
latest reply
68 REPLIES 68

Re: Market Saturation: is there a cure for this plague?

Howdy equidox...

When estate or especially garage sale sellers say "oh,. that goes for XYZ on Ebay", I say, "oh! Well, go sell it on Ebay then.  I'm here NOW with cold hard cash!"  Sheesh.  The thing with vintage or collectibles, is yes, the millennials don't want them, they are too busy eating Grub Hub and hanging with their friends taking selfies...BUT, someday they will purchase a home, and want nice things to fill it.  I just looked at a slick magazine in the grocery check-out, "Farmhouse Living" or something...and it showed an old hutch or china cabinet, open faced as is the style now, filled with about 50 pieces of vintage milkglass.  You know such photo's and magazines inspire people to emulate what they see, so it's inevitable that the interest in vintage will come back around again.  Just have patience, I say!

-Dippitydoo

Message 61 of 69
latest reply

Market saturation is real and it effects not only ebay. I have several items listed on the selling platforms of my country, and the customer activity has been low for 3 years already.

And don't get me started on deadbeat buyers.

Message 62 of 69
latest reply

Market saturation is real and it effects not only ebay. I have several items listed on the selling platforms of my country, and the customer activity has been low for 3 years already.

And don't get me started on deadbeat buyers.

Tbh, it feels like it's also an economic issue. Everyone gets poorer, so when you have to choose between an ebay product and something else you'll probably choose the latter. 

Message 63 of 69
latest reply

snip: I've been to some of these sales on the final day and the homes are still loaded with items unsold. Not sure what they end up doing with it. 

It bleep gets loaded up and then brought to the next "estate" sale. After a few "estate" sales, the "estate" sale becomes just a sale filled with bleep that didn't sell during the last six attempts.

Nobody has six G. Foreman grills in their kitchen.

Message 64 of 69
latest reply

@vintageantique77   Good post, great topic ... not a simple answer and not all eBay's fault.

Regarding the two items in specific you mentioned, I've seen them both at numerous live auctions and in numerous quantities ... old telephones:  it seems that unless they are a rare  color or style they sell for dirt.  sold slides:  these are usually with someone's old slide projector ... the slide projectors might drive the price up a little but the slides do not seem to have much value.

Anyway, the other issue is the internet browser industry and who has the best algorithm to find and return items in Search.  At present, Google has the best Algorithm based on the vast amount of data they accumulate of not just items for sale but services as well.  The large browser companies have the ability to block out or displace smaller companies with the shear amount of data they command in the market place AND can manipulate WHAT they return to Buyers in Search.  Here in the US there is no "regulation" of this type of situation or manipulative activity whereas the UK has already progressed to creating a government regulatory branch that oversees how browser firms operate on the internet AND if the playing field is level to allow smaller OR new companies the ability to break in to the market ... sort of like an anti-monopoly government group.

One thing that has been determined is that most Buyers purchase or commit to a service company from the first page of items returned in a search.  The general thinking is they trust the internet and assume it has returned the best items on the first page.

The above is a very simplified explanation of somethings that are going on around the world as it relates to e-commerce, search engines and browsers.

Another interesting point about ads on web pages is this: I, like many other people, thought that ad placement was based on the company who pays the most for the advertising space when in reality, the browser firms tend to look at ad "quality" for placement opposed to who paid the most for advertisement.

Regards,
Mr. Lincoln - Community Mentor
Message 65 of 69
latest reply

the slides do not seem to have much value.

Some have some pretty good value, but you have to know "which", just as in other categories......... check out Military/specific ships/planes.  They have to "have a hook" that people are interested in......trains/amusement parks, that kind of thing. 

Message 66 of 69
latest reply

You're on top of it 😉

I listed a bunch of vintage 60's slides once and they got up to 160$. I was floored. I then researched the buyer, and she was selling bulk listings of photo slides that she either didn't like, or didn't need. Her listings sold groupings of random photos for 50$+ a listing....
elvis animated GIF
Message 67 of 69
latest reply

@earlyant-77 wrote:

Tell that to all the sellers stuck in 1999 who refuse to adapt and want eBay to revert backwards. Without the mega sellers and the new items this place wouldn't stay afloat. This is a large publicly traded company and you can't go that far back focusing on inventory that's saturated in a market with declining demand.

So you're OK with saturating the market with cheap chinese junk instead of quality antiques which doesn't saturate the market? Or repops from india and china(which is why i refuse to sell overseas)?

I didn't say anything even remotely close to that. I have no idea how you inferred that from my post. No, I'm not ok with the practices you described.

GLORIOUS!

Confused about the switch to eBay discounted shipping? Read this discussion to make an informed decision about opt in / opt out.
Message 68 of 69
latest reply

What EBay needs is  getting back to the basics, having a great reputation with buyers & sellers for business integrity, & offering shoppers good value for their dollars.

Message 69 of 69
latest reply