cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Manufacturer says I can't sell their stuff?

Can a manufacturer tell me to take down my listings of their products?

Message 1 of 81
latest reply
1 BEST ANSWER

Accepted Solutions

@sammoab wrote:

I initially thought it was a scam, but I think not. They gave me a phone # which I googled and it showed it was the company.  I think they wanted my authorized seller acct #...meaning their company acct #

I'd ignore them unless and until they go through ebay's VeRO route. The way they're doing it is wrong and you owe them nothing in the way of a reply.

You have the right to resell. 

albertabrightalberta
Volunteer Community Mentor

View Best Answer in original post

Message 19 of 81
latest reply
80 REPLIES 80

Yes.

Who's the manufacturer?

What's the item?

Message 2 of 81
latest reply

They are boots that I bought from a liquidator. I did not buy them from the manufacturer. Most are store returns (Amazon), new but returned.

Message 3 of 81
latest reply

@sammoab,

What was the reason they wanted you to stop selling them? Did they say the boots were counterfeit?

Did you get a VeRO notice through eBay, or did the manufacturer contact you outside of eBay?

Message 4 of 81
latest reply

They did not allege that the boots are counterfeit, but rather said that I do not have a seller agreement with them which meant that I could not sell them. They opened and eBay account yesterday and emailed through eBay. I don't know what a VeRO notice is.

Message 5 of 81
latest reply

Thsnk you to those who are reading this and trying to help

Message 6 of 81
latest reply

Unless you get something from an attorney or eBay, I'd sell them.  No professional would just open an ebay account to message you....

Message 7 of 81
latest reply

Here's the VeRO list if you want to make sure the company isn't on it in the meantime:

https://www.ebay.com/sellercenter/ebay-for-business/verified-rights-owner-program

Message 8 of 81
latest reply

@tdl_collectibles wrote:

Here's the VeRO list if you want to make sure the company isn't on it in the meantime:

https://www.ebay.com/sellercenter/ebay-for-business/verified-rights-owner-program

That link only shows VeRO reps who choose to have accounts made public but isn't all-inclusive. Any rights owner can apply for an be a VeRO representative. 

As for the message you got, @sammoab , please post a copy of it, removing any personal/identifying information. 

Did they get your listings removed or was it just a message sent through your listing? 

albertabrightalberta

Message 9 of 81
latest reply

The problem might be that you're selling them as new.

Some companies you have to be an authorized dealer to sell their new items.

Have a great day
Message 10 of 81
latest reply

@sammoab 

That happens sometimes.  Some companies want their own dealers to sell their items, some companies don't want their items to be sold on eBay.  Don't relist them as you could jeopardize your account permanently. 

Happy Selling. 

Message 11 of 81
latest reply

It was just a message they sent through ebay. I responded that I couldn't know who they really were since they just opened an ebay acct that day.

They are not on the VeRO list.

Listings have not been removed, they just asked me to take them down.

Initial email below.

I am contacting you for   ----- ----- ==Boots. We have found that you are selling our boots on Ebay. We don't have you setup as an authorized reseller. Can you please provide your  -------- account details. Regards,

Message 12 of 81
latest reply

Verified Rights Owner.

Message 13 of 81
latest reply

@sammoab  "I am contacting you for ----- ----- ==Boots. We have found that you are selling our boots on Ebay. We don't have you setup as an authorized reseller. Can you please provide your -------- account details. Regards,"

This part, 'Can you please provide your -------- account details,' is very suspicious!  You should not have to provide your account details to anyone. I think this person is a scammer. Glad you have not complied!

Message 14 of 81
latest reply

@sammoab wrote:

It was just a message they sent through ebay. I responded that I couldn't know who they really were since they just opened an ebay acct that day.

They are not on the VeRO list.

Listings have not been removed, they just asked me to take them down.

Initial email below.

I am contacting you for   ----- ----- ==Boots. We have found that you are selling our boots on Ebay. We don't have you setup as an authorized reseller. Can you please provide your  -------- account details. Regards,

You aren't obligated to respond nor do you have to end your listings. 

If you do respond, I'd send something like this: 

"Dear So and so, 

I've received your message and would refer you to "First sale doctrine" which limits rights owners' ability to control distribution of their items when such items are legally obtained. I have purchased the boots through a legitimate source and now that I own them, I'm within my rights to resell them.

Sincerely, 

Ebay seller"

Note that rights owners CAN control distribution of their items with those with whom they have contracts, i.e., their own authorized distributors, but you aren't one of their contractors.

albertabrightalberta

Message 15 of 81
latest reply