cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Manufacturer says I can't sell their stuff?

Can a manufacturer tell me to take down my listings of their products?

Message 1 of 81
latest reply
80 REPLIES 80

Re: Manufacturer says I can't sell their stuff?

Do a search on Tabberone first sale doctrine. Tons of info there. 

Tabberone was an ebay seller that took on many big companies that did take down on her items. 

She  won against Disney, NFL, Mars and many others and she did it in her own with no lawyers. 

Lots of info in her website. 

The Race is over
The Rats won.
Message 76 of 81
latest reply

Thank you, I'll check it out

Message 77 of 81
latest reply

Actually as a retired 27 year postal employee I can say that until you have signed for the certified letter you have not officially received it. That is the purpose of a certified letter, i.e. proof that you have received it. I did not ignore the letter, I just delayed receiving it while I did my research. A certified letter goes back to the sender after 10 days. I did not let it go back since that would be considered proof that I ignored it. All I did was buy myself 7 days to strategize. It all worked out well for me in the end. 

This forum has some excellent advice and some that is poor advice. I found it extremely helpful. 

Message 78 of 81
latest reply

@sammoab 

Wrote: Can a manufacturer tell me to take down my listings of their products?

Yes.  They may require you to be an authorized seller per their company.  If you are not they'll shut you down. 

Happy Holidays

Message 79 of 81
latest reply

@sammoab wrote:

wow, you misread everything I have said and intend. Please, there is no need to be so negative. Your comment seems to say that I think I know everything. I do not. But at the same time I will not be rolled over by attempted bullying from the manufacturer. In the end it all worked out well for me, but it would not have worked out well if I had followed your advice.You say "Were you business savvy at all",  Please, I have been in business for 50 years. And you? 

I have never received a letter from a manufacture to cease and desist or be sued. You? Guess being in business for 50 years means a whole lotta nothing if you are getting letters from lawyers about the way you run your business. Cease and desist letters are not a good sign you are doing things right. 

When they told you the first time to quit it, you kept poking the bear. You should have listened. Instead you had this brazen attitude "screw them! I got the right to trample their rights! My rights are more important!". That's exactly how your response came off. Only you know if that is how you meant it, but the manufacture took it that way too, or they would not have went the letter from their lawyer route. 

Everyone thinks they can hide behind the first sale doctrine. It's a very fine line AND a slippery slope. You do NOT have cart blanch rights to sell just anything, in whatever fashion you want to. A manufacture spends a whole lot of money developing, making, and marketing their products.  It would be foolish for anyone to do that if you could not protect your products. Resellers at times can hurt brands and cost the manufactures untold millions. You as a business owner, should know as well as anyone, or at least SEE how that is. You were trying to sell HUNDREDS of pairs of shoes, that were NOT new, and buyers had NO idea there was no manufacture support or that you were not authorized to sell them. Makes the company and brand look BAD. 

Message 80 of 81
latest reply

If a manufacturer prohibits you from selling their UV cure adhesive products, it's essential to respect their decision and seek alternative products to offer to your customers. This could involve exploring other manufacturers or product lines that align with your business goals and customer needs. Clear communication with the manufacturer can help clarify any reasons behind their decision and potentially negotiate alternative arrangements or partnerships in the future.

Message 81 of 81
latest reply