"ARE YOU SURE? YOUR CREDIT CARD WILL BE CHARGED?"

"OH HELL NO !!!!! "

"CLICK X"

Message 1 of 31
latest reply
30 REPLIES 30

Re: Makes Ebay Offer - OH HELL NO - CHANGES MIND

@chicka8618 wrote:

I apologize. I didn't realize it was such a big issue. Continue....

Not sure why it's a big issue to some buyers?

You're going to pay for the item anyway, right, if the offer is accepted.

Have a great day.
Message 16 of 31
latest reply

@sdneped wrote:

@chicka8618 wrote:

"ARE YOU SURE? YOUR CREDIT CARD WILL BE CHARGED?" 

You're probably doing it wrong.

sdneped_0-1714515277705.jpeg

If your credit card cannot be charged but the seller accepts your offer, you'll have to come back and pay with e.g. PayPal Pay-in-4, PayPal Credit, a bank account, another credit card, etc.

They probably wouldn't have a chance to come back and pay.

Some sellers would block the buyer.

Have a great day.
Message 17 of 31
latest reply

@campanaelia wrote:

I haven't made an offer for a year now and I'm buying at least half of what I used to because of auto-pay. If I can't review the final invoice and the payment source it's being deducted from I hit the back button.

You know the Shipping cost even before you make your offer on the item AND the popup warning you receive before submitting the offer also gives you the option to change your funding source to a different one if you like. The only number I can think of that is not spelled out for you in advance would be your state sales tax but you can probably do your own math on what that is likely to be.

Message 18 of 31
latest reply

Failure to pay is just not a big deal in MY world.

Most of my listings now have the "pay now" feature.

Some don't.  I'm getting to them.

It is an action that a buyer can take that is annoying.

It is also a glimpse into the way that buyer does things.

It doesn't do any damage to me, but it alerts me.

I actually LIKE adding names to my Iggy List.

So, I like it when someone will raise their hand and say "I am probably going to be real trouble."

That being said, at least 1/3 of my 'deals' start with an offer from the buyer.

Message 19 of 31
latest reply

I've read many threads where the credit card was the default payment shown but the money was taken from their bank accounts instead causing over $200 in late and ovedraft fees. Here's a few

https://community.ebay.com/t5/Buying/immediate-pay-on-offers/m-p/33990246#M460022

https://community.ebay.com/t5/Buying/Auto-pay/m-p/34050697#M463753

https://community.ebay.com/t5/Buying/Automatic-Payments-on-Buy-it-Now-Offers/td-p/34049408

In the thread below the buyer was overcharged for shipping, no way to fix after payment was completed.

https://community.ebay.com/t5/Buying/Over-charged-for-shipping/m-p/34428023#M485094

Message 20 of 31
latest reply

@campanaelia wrote:

I haven't made an offer for a year now and I'm buying at least half of what I used to because of auto-pay. If I can't review the final invoice and the payment source it's being deducted from I hit the back button. There have been many errors made and once they have your money there's no fixing it. Also many payment options are not available nor combined shipping invoices. Thankfully they removed the option from auctions.

I highly doubt the auto-pay policy has ever increased buyers that were never serious in the first place to suddenly pay immediately, but what did happen is it decreased paying buyers from buying as much as they use to before auto-pay began, I am one of them.

I've also never had an UPI in 20 years using ebay so it has nothing to do with not planning to pay.

In most all cases, I myself will not do the auto pay thing. I do NOT like that you do not get push notifications IF the seller accepts the offer, you only get an email. You don't even get a notification on the website about the message or the sale completing. It's like eBay doesn't want to tell you the seller accepted and they charged your card. 

I also detest when you do make an offer, have to use your card, and the lazy seller will not even get to the offer timely. I think with auto pay, the offer should expire in 12 hours. 

I rarely do auto pay offers. And when I rarely do, half the time I regret even bothering to make the offer. 

So yes, for me as well, auto pay offers have knocked down my buying. If another seller here doesn't have what I am looking for without auto pay, I shop elsewhere most of the time. I have never had an unpaid item case for failing to pay. I just do not like the screwing around with the auto pay. 

Message 21 of 31
latest reply

I prefer buyers to just pay without drama. I'm not sure why this is so hard to understand on this platform - I guess people have been spoiled.

“The most common way people give up their power is by thinking they don’t have any.”
— Alice Walker

#freedomtoread
#readbannedbooks
Message 22 of 31
latest reply

What drama? There was no problem just paying the old way for the majority of buyers.

Sellers already had in the buyer requirements the tool to block buyers with 2 or more UPI strikes. The auto-pay option should of also only been applied the same way to non-payers and/or new accounts for a trial period.

Buyers that have always paid should not have been included and found it insulting at the least. But I guess some sellers prefer to limit their paying-buyer pool instead and then cry sales are dead.

Message 23 of 31
latest reply

I will tell you what the problem is for ME as a buyer. If I have Paypal funds & a Debit Card / credit card and multiple sources I use for payment. Once I select a particular method. I am not allowed to CHANGE that method. If I use my Paypal funds-Paypal will NOT PAY with those funds but CHARGE MY CARD ON FILE instead. Also, If I have a Pre Paid EBAY Gift Card I want to use instead, I Can't Use It! Huge Problem

Message 24 of 31
latest reply

Please read post 11 of that thread. It gives the most likely reason for the difference. 

No one asked, but I am looking forward to the day when having feedback default sorted by relevance seems right.
Message 25 of 31
latest reply

@campanaelia wrote:

What drama? There was no problem just paying the old way for the majority of buyers.

Sellers already had in the buyer requirements the tool to block buyers with 2 or more UPI strikes. The auto-pay option should of also only been applied the same way to non-payers and/or new accounts for a trial period.

Buyers that have always paid should not have been included and found it insulting at the least. But I guess some sellers prefer to limit their paying-buyer pool instead and then cry sales are dead.

Insulting?

That's what I mean.

“The most common way people give up their power is by thinking they don’t have any.”
— Alice Walker

#freedomtoread
#readbannedbooks
Message 26 of 31
latest reply

@kensgiftshop wrote:

They probably wouldn't have a chance to come back and pay [because]

[s]ome sellers would block the buyer

That's not how block the buyer from bidding or buying works, doesn't prevent payment, and lacks logic.

1. The seller is awaiting payment.

2. So the seller blocks the payment.

Message 27 of 31
latest reply

@chapeau-noir wrote:

@campanaelia wrote:

Insulting?

That's what I mean.

Yes, exactly what I said, many buyers find it insulting.

Here's a screenshot of one post from a well respected member of the community.

https://community.ebay.com/t5/Buying/Auto-checkout-when-bidding-is-an-insult-may-leave-E-Bay/td-p/34...

Screenshot 2024-04-30 at 21-30-47 Auto checkout when bidding is an insult may leave E-Bay.png

Message 28 of 31
latest reply

The problem  is   requesting  combined  shipping   if  you have  other items from the same  seller  in the shopping  cart  ,after getting a offer  with pay now  ,which seller  will pay  more FVF's  .

Message 29 of 31
latest reply

You have taken same words out of mouth  !Which I said the same things  on other threads dealing  with this subject .

Message 30 of 31
latest reply