cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Lots of recent buyers with bad addresses

In the past few weeks, I've had many buyers with low feedback scores purchase small items ($1 shipping included) and the items are returned with "unable to deliver". I've contacted several of the buyers asking for updated addresses, and they haven't responded. Any idea why this might be happening? One option is USPS suddenly can't deliver things reliably, but the number of returns suggests this isn't the case. Another other option is buyers are trying to buy positive ratings for a dollar - these buyers all seem to give me positive feedback immediately. I'm not sure what I can do other than not sell small value items. If I refund their purchases, I'm out the .60/item shipping, which would suck. Of course, none of them have even asked for a refund...

Message 1 of 12
latest reply
11 REPLIES 11

How are you even making anything off of a $1 item with free shipping?

Message 2 of 12
latest reply

I'm selling stamps, so they are only an ounce. Not making a ton off each sale, to be sure - almost not worth my time.

Message 3 of 12
latest reply

More than likely those buyers are looking for cheap feedback. Have you looked at how much you make on a $1.00 item with free shipping? Do you have some other reason for doing that than making money?

Message 4 of 12
latest reply

Returns.

You kinda answered your own question. We tend to give positive feedback immediately on cheapie items.

I don't contact anyone. I let them contact me first. If it's a bad buyer and you are emailing them eBay will do one of those MCO11(I think it may not be the right letters)...I got one 2 months ago...a first for me only because it was an eBayer no longer registered on eBay...they must have done something bad. And I never contacted them. I buyer has to contact me for a refund.

Message 5 of 12
latest reply

It's not a question of making a buck on everything we sell.

We list some items at .99 with free shipping to attract watchers and lookers to our site and maybe buy more expensive items...and get "repeat buyers". 

Buying postage stamps below face value on eBay with USA sellers...selling some and using the ugly ones for postage saves on postage.

Message 6 of 12
latest reply

What other reason is there for selling something?

Message 7 of 12
latest reply

You got more feedback and a 100 % rating than a lot of sellers on eBay...and at some point you might decide to sell more expensive items.

Message 8 of 12
latest reply

Wait, you're saying if I contact a buyer in good faith, asking if their address is correct, I could get a ban? That would be annoying. I think your advice to let them contact me first makes sense.

Message 9 of 12
latest reply

I wish I could use them for postage - that would solve the problem, but they are for non-profit use. Not a problem to own them, particularly as a collector, but I can't use them for postage legally. Also, postage stamps selling below face value are likely counterfeit, I wouldn't do that personally,

Message 10 of 12
latest reply

Scammers also are always on the lookout for nice, cheap $1 item listings as a quick way to test out a stolen credit card or to see if a hijacked account's linked payment method still works. Giving a phony address protects the scammer in case someone notices before the scammer is ready to place a big order to ship to a freight forwarder.

Cheap postcards and baseball cards are common choices.

But scammers rarely bother with leaving feedback, unless the scammer intends to build up the account for a larger scam. An otherwise legitimate buyer would not bother to enter an apparently un-deliverable address.

Might be worth keeping an eye on those accounts.

Possibly related:

https://community.ebay.com/t5/Selling/More-suspicious-purchases-likely-unauthorized-use-of-buyer/m-p...

Message 11 of 12
latest reply

I get lots of these transactions. I'm guessing they are buying feedbacks but if so, why not just accept delivery and get the item anyways.  Who knows.  I have a large stack of returned items on my desk from this type of transaction.  Most of them botch the address or postal code like...

49 Street Courtright, ON
N0N, AB 1H0
I have stopped contacting and I put the items back into the inventory.  I don't really lose anything....I gain my item back for free.
Message 12 of 12
latest reply