cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Lots of buyer questions is this normal

Hi, I’m hoping you can help me. I lowered the price on an item that I am selling. It’s a great deal but a person that is interested keeps asking whether there’s chips and cracks. I answered that question and now they wanna know if there is white stains on it that they see in the photo. I don’t see that. This is a vintage pitcher And six glasses. I’m going to take new pictures and post them, but is this a red flag that I might have a problem from this buyer? I’d like your thoughts and what you would do in this case? 

Message 1 of 11
latest reply
1 BEST ANSWER

Accepted Solutions

@fern*wood wrote:

It's hard to say if they will be a problem or not, but do you realize you have free shipping on those?  Your listing talks about the shipping calculator, so I just wondered. 

@dress2thenine : Yes, definitely get that Free Shipping switch turned off, or most of your $29.99 sale price is going to go towards postage. Hopefully you have already uploaded accurate values for package size and weight; you just need to ensure that the buyer is the one paying for it.

As for the original issues, I would say that there are faint visible scuffs or marks from use, mainly around the neck of the pitcher, but nothing horrendous that I can pick out. What does your interested buyer's Feedback Left for Others look like?

View Best Answer in original post

Message 4 of 11
latest reply
10 REPLIES 10

@dress2thenine wrote:

Hi, I’m hoping you can help me. I lowered the price on an item that I am selling. It’s a great deal but a person that is interested keeps asking whether there’s chips and cracks. I answered that question and now they wanna know if there is white stains on it that they see in the photo. I don’t see that. This is a vintage pitcher And six glasses. I’m going to take new pictures and post them, but is this a red flag that I might have a problem from this buyer? I’d like your thoughts and what you would do in this case? 

I would simply cease communications and block this buyer. People who start pestering with question after question (when there are clear photos and description) are often problematic buyers.

“The most common way people give up their power is by thinking they don’t have any.”
— Alice Walker

#freedomtoread
#readbannedbooks
Message 2 of 11
latest reply

It's hard to say if they will be a problem or not, but do you realize you have free shipping on those?  Your listing talks about the shipping calculator, so I just wondered. 

Message 3 of 11
latest reply

@fern*wood wrote:

@dress2thenine : Yes, definitely get that Free Shipping switch turned off, or most of your $29.99 sale price is going to go towards postage. Hopefully you have already uploaded accurate values for package size and weight; you just need to ensure that the buyer is the one paying for it.

As for the original issues, I would say that there are faint visible scuffs or marks from use, mainly around the neck of the pitcher, but nothing horrendous that I can pick out. What does your interested buyer's Feedback Left for Others look like?

Message 4 of 11
latest reply

I see what the buyer sees as "white stains". It's reflection of light on the inside of the pitcher... Buyer doesn't realize it's just reflection. 

You offer returns. I expect these sorts/amount of questions on an item with "No Returns".

Message 5 of 11
latest reply

I agree, change the shipping to calculated or at very least add something for the shipping/handling costs. The set is going take at least 10 minutes to pack. I find lots of questions about condition can means it is a dealer making sure it is perfect for resale . An alert that maybe I have priced the item too low.

CDM Antiques
Message 6 of 11
latest reply

Along with what others suggest................................... personally, I would not use the word "excellent".  Too much leeway in the perception of "excellent" from one person to the next.

Message 7 of 11
latest reply

There is no way you can ship this FREE for that price. You will take a big loss. 

probably just water stains. 

Looks like this item was produced in 1980

You need to revise your listing ASAP!

weight, packing material cost, and calculated shipping based on destination.

Message 8 of 11
latest reply

I did change the shipping. I hadn’t noticed that thank you so much for your feedback. So glad I put the question up and got some great help. Thank you,

Message 9 of 11
latest reply

@dress2thenine 

As a buyer and seller of antique and vintage glassware for many years, I can perhaps shed some light on the "questions" you received.  Though typically not a problem with more contemporary pieces such as your set, there is such a thing with 'white stains' typically named "bad glass".  One would find this hazy white phenomenon on antique cruets, decanters, and other pieces that held products that would actually etch the glass over time.  It is generally not removable.  One might see that on modern pieces such as this that have been repeatedly washed in a dishwasher.  For a glass collector, that may be a valid question. 

In light of so many sellers that lack specific condition issues, asking about cracks, chips, or scratches is a valid concern as well.  It is annoying, however, if you put that in your description and the buyer is asking again. Some people just don't read.   I know that it would annoy me, but as a buyer I really can't stand a description that says such things as "good vintage condition", or "excellent condition for its age" with no subsequent clarification.  

Buyers that ask questions BEFORE the purchase are much better than those that start after they have bought your item.  

Good luck! 

Message 10 of 11
latest reply

In my experience, buyers who ask too many questions that can be answered by simply reading descriptions, are trouble waiting to happen.

I would stop answering all those silly questions and block the buyer.  

Message 11 of 11
latest reply