cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Local pick-up to a forwarding company? How to protect myself?

Buyer wins an auction for a bike. The first message I receive after they win the auction is them saying they didn’t know the shipping would be so high. (It was very visible) Their address is only an hour away so I tell them that I’d be glad to drop it off and they can pay via local pick up. Win win for me since I don’t have to pack a bike. They then pay and inform me that the address is a forwarding company. What are my options to protect myself here? I will ship it via UPS if I have to but they already paid via local pickup. Thanks

Message 1 of 12
latest reply
11 REPLIES 11

Re: Local pick-up to a forwarding company? How to protect myself?

One quick question:  Why don't I see a bike listed as recently sold, or still for sale when I look at your listings?  Was this sold under another ID?  

Message 2 of 12
latest reply

Whoops yes I’m posting on another ID

Message 3 of 12
latest reply

I think I’ve concluded my only option here is to refund them. Make them repay with a shipping option and just ship it out. 

Message 4 of 12
latest reply

Sounds like it's going to another country. Gee, what could go wrong?

Message 5 of 12
latest reply

That's absolutely valid reason to cancel.  It was local pick up only.  They want it shipped.  It's not going to be shipped.  

Then block um. 

Message 6 of 12
latest reply

What are my options to protect myself here?

-----------------------------------------------------------

Cancel it. 

I have a feeling the transaction will go pear shaped.

Message 7 of 12
latest reply

I guess I’m not so willing to cancel completely. It is sold for parts no returns and I like the price. Frustrated for sure about them mentioning the shipping price. Surely they knew that before they won the auction. This is a tough decision for me.

Message 8 of 12
latest reply

If local pick up was the only option I would do this but I had 2 options for them to choose.

Message 9 of 12
latest reply

@toytrekker wrote:

Buyer wins an auction for a bike. The first message I receive after they win the auction is them saying they didn’t know the shipping would be so high. (It was very visible) Their address is only an hour away so I tell them that I’d be glad to drop it off and they can pay via local pick up. Win win for me since I don’t have to pack a bike. They then pay and inform me that the address is a forwarding company. What are my options to protect myself here?

There really aren't any, under the circumstances you describe. You cannot show up on the reshipper's doorstep with an unpacked bike. You listed it as Local Pickup Only, so it's up to the buyer to arrange his own pickup and shipping.

If there's a local bike shop near you that accepts bikes for packing and shipping, you could refer him there, but don't drop off anything until the bike shop tells you that he's paid them for their service and they're ready to accept the bike. That way the shipping is his risk and his responsibility; you would still be selling it as a local pickup with no shipping in your name.

As others have said, if he can't arrange that much, you'll want to cancel due to Problem with Buyer's Address.

Message 10 of 12
latest reply

He's going to a lot of trouble to receive this bike, so have to ask: Are you sure he realized it was sold for parts?

We can't see the listing, so we're just trying to figure out a way for this scenario to work out. 

Message 11 of 12
latest reply

Cancel it!  The buyer is going to make a claim of nonreceipt and eBay will force you to refund anyway, then will punish you with a defect.  Cancel now using "problem with buyer's address" as the reason and save yourself a major hassle.  

----------------------------
Successful and experienced seller since 1997, over 70,000 feedback, boardie since the boards were begun.
Message 12 of 12
latest reply