cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Listing description color palate options are gothic!!

My ebay descriptions are full of bright colors. Attractive to the eye. The previous listing description color palate had an excellent choice of bright, vibrant colors. The current color options offered by ebay are gothic, depressing, like for a funeral. When the first came out I called ebay and inquired about them. I asked if the previous  color palate could be restored. The service rep said he would send my request to the appropriate department. Is there anyone else here that feels the same? ebay has been coming up with dumb ideas lately. This new color palate is one of the worst.

Message 1 of 14
latest reply
13 REPLIES 13

Re: Listing description color palate options are gothic!!

I really don't see the need for all those colors.

To me personally, they are annoying.

Message 2 of 14
latest reply

The only color in any of my listings are the CD labels. I like the white background with black text, I find it’s easier to read than multicolored. 

Message 3 of 14
latest reply

All I use is black (which I will bold sometimes), so I never check out the colors.  I looked at a few of your listings and see bright red & blue.  What color are you missing?  Personally, I find listings with lots of bright colors harder to read, and oddly enough, more likely to contain unnecessary demands and rules so I back out. 

Message 4 of 14
latest reply

The only time I use other than black on white text in a listing is if I use red to draw attention to a particular point - like "choking hazard, 3 + years only".

Although I also find the new colour palette red sadly lacking. 

"If a product doesn't sell, raise the price" - Reese Palley
"If it sold FAST, it was priced too low" - also Reese Palley
Message 5 of 14
latest reply

Multi-color, multi-font descriptions make me hit the back arrow.  They are too hard to read.  They look amateurish.

Plus, experience has taught me that they are nearly allways used by sellers who think their own crazy TOS trumps eBay's policies and the Uniform Commercial Code;  e.g., claiming it's up to the buyer to purchase insurance, or stating there are no returns and/or that the buyer will always pay return postage, or believing they can sell goods "as is." 

Further, experience has taught me that they are almost always used by sellers who maunder on about feedback.

So, for me:  Back arrow.

-

Message 6 of 14
latest reply

Wonder how people see/read the description on a phone, even on a desktop with good size monitor, it is hard to read because the letting is so big and seems would need a lot of scrolling on a phone to read it all. 

While yes, you do you but the place to get buyers attention is the opening photo and title, along with price. The only place I see a need for calling attention to something using color or different font, is if it is important, which you seem to do. I would suggest smaller type font overall, so it take less space on the screen. 

Message 7 of 14
latest reply

100% agree. I automatically disregard any multi-colored listings unless I have a real need to purchase the item and it's the only one available. I think this is pretty typical, and is why eBay has pivoted away from colorful listing descriptions.

Message 8 of 14
latest reply

I suspect eBay’s reasoning behind the use of limited colored fonts has to do with readability, particularly for buyers using their smartphones to shop. It can also effect SEO.

By the way, I found this phrase (among many disclaimers included in your description field) of one of your listings, directed at the buying population. You state:

“Even neutral feedback has a negative effect on a seller’s rating”.

In what way does a neutral feedback rating affect a seller’s standing? Feedback is no longer a measure of seller performance when eBay calculates a  seller’s metrics.

Message 9 of 14
latest reply

Hi @tradads08 

I totally agree that a description with multiple, bright colors is more difficult to read.  Aside from being distracting … it can produce ‘after images’ that literally blur vision.

Message 10 of 14
latest reply

@ten_o_nine wrote:

I really don't see the need for all those colors.

To me personally, they are annoying.

And for older people or for anyone with vision problems especially, they can be literally difficult to read.

Message 11 of 14
latest reply

I used the old pallet too.

I had more colors. 

Bring it back.

I Love pretty  colors...

Message 12 of 14
latest reply

@tradads08 

It is your opinion that bright colors are "attractive to the eye", but not everyone would agree.  Especially when it comes to colors like Yellow and Red.  A while back Ebay took away many color options because they wanted to limit the seller's options.  While it may look great to some, not so much for others.

And something to always remember, buyers have a variety of devices they would be viewing your listings on.  Some old some new.  Some with wonderful number of pixels available and some not so much.  So what you see and how you see it may not be what someone else sees.

I personally don't think that more options will happen, but here on Ebay I've learned that just about anything could happen.

mam98031  •  Volunteer Community Member  •  Buyer/Seller since 1999
Message 13 of 14
latest reply

The colors I use in my descriptions were "grandfathered" from the previous color palate available for descriptions. Did you look at the current available color palate? Rather dismal!! Who would want to use those?

Message 14 of 14
latest reply