cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Lionel train

IMG_2130.jpeg

IMG_2131.jpeg

Anyone with good Lionel train knowledge that can help identifying.  I have a Lionel locomotive.  Erie with cab number 2088. 

IMG_2123.jpeg

IMG_2126.jpeg

Message 1 of 16
latest reply
15 REPLIES 15

Lionel train

No, but I happen to know someone.  Let me call him @mr_lincoln 

evry1nositswindy  •  seller since 2013
Volunteer Community Mentor

Message 2 of 16
latest reply

Lionel train

Thank you   I appreciate it

Message 3 of 16
latest reply

Lionel train

Penny!  Where are you?

Papa Was A Rolling Stone - The Temptations
Message 4 of 16
latest reply

Lionel train

@inhawaii I forgot about penny.  Let me find her id and I will call her too.  @pennysdream 

evry1nositswindy  •  seller since 2013
Volunteer Community Mentor

Message 5 of 16
latest reply

Lionel train

I believe the engine itself is an EMD G-7.

Message 6 of 16
latest reply

Lionel train

Thank you. 

Message 7 of 16
latest reply

Lionel train

@twstorm14  Penny and Mr L may be sleeping now, so check back tomorrow, and good luck

I have been imported from Australia and this is my posting ID
Message 8 of 16
latest reply

Lionel train

what what what.. I am awake now.. heheheh

And no, I can't help with the Lionel engine.   I know VERY LITTLE about Lionel.   I closed down my web, So I don't have anyone to ask either.   Mr_L is your best shot on here.  You may also check Trainz website.  He has some cool stuff.  

Good luck

Just my Two Cents...
Thank you for being here!
Penny
Message 9 of 16
latest reply

Lionel train

@evry1nositswindy , @twstorm14 , @pennysdream , @downunder-61 , @my-cottage-books-and-antiques 

Sorry for the delay, yes, someone posted up thread that this is a Lionel EMD GP-7 however I cannot find record of that 2088 Erie Road number and suspect it might be a repaint of another Lionel train.  The wheel trucks appear to be aged more than the locomotive's body finish, not to mention the corrosion on the collectors (the power pick up rollers on the underside).  And I suspect the metal chassis has been repainted.  It looks in really nice condition but I am not sure that is the original Lionel color scheme.

Your listing mentions the sound function ... have you tested the diesel horn?

Regards,
Mr. Lincoln - Community Mentor
Message 10 of 16
latest reply

Lionel train

Thanks for the reply.  During the research I couldn’t find anything either. Spent a few hours trying to figure it out.  The owner I got it from tested the horn as well as full functions and it worked.  I will adjust the listing and price as there is enough doubt as it being original.    I appreciate you taking the time to help.  

Message 11 of 16
latest reply

Lionel train

@twstorm14 wrote:

Thanks for the reply.  During the research I couldn’t find anything either. Spent a few hours trying to figure it out.  The owner I got it from tested the horn as well as full functions and it worked.  I will adjust the listing and price as there is enough doubt as it being original.    I appreciate you taking the time to help.  

@twstorm14   You are more than welcome.  Lionel started to produce the GP-7 diesel in 1955 with a single drive motor and the dual collectors on the underside for the center rail.  They produced versions that included:

2028 Pennsylvania (no horn or headlight)

2328 Burlington (horn & headlight)

2338 Milwaukee (horn & headlight)

2339 Wabash (horn & headlight - 1957)

They made later models but yours is the late 50's version and is what appears to be a very nice custom paint job.  You can note that on your listing if you want to ... most collectors will know anyway.

With regard to value do some sold searches on the road names I listed above ... while not original color scheme I think the $ 100 to $ 150 price range is fair ... I run those type engines on Auctions opposed to Buy it now.  Let us know if anyone messages you about it.  I won't Watch it so as not to skew your listing results.

Regards,
Message 12 of 16
latest reply

Lionel train

You have been so incredibly helpful.  I really appreciate it and will run it on auction.  Thank You.  Tim. 

Message 13 of 16
latest reply

Lionel train

@twstorm14   Again, you are more than welcome.  

Regards,
Message 14 of 16
latest reply

Lionel train

You know, there is something interesting about this paint scheme.  It's not the standard Erie yellow and black scheme, which would have the number under the cab window.   It looks like whoever painted it, tried to follow the lead of the other Lionel GP7 postwar schemes, some of which have the number on the battery box like this.   And the number stamped on postwar Lionel locos was usually the same as the product number; 2088 is in an unused number range.   The sans serif font isn't very Lionelesque though. 

Also, that's not an Erie diamond, it's an Erie-Lackawanna diamond, which is also kinda interesting.    

The lettering on the hood looks like it might have been hand-lettered.  Would you be able to post a close up of the "ERIE" lettering? 

Message 15 of 16
latest reply