cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Letter from Paypal?

Did anyone else get a letter from Paypal this week advertising a new ecommerce site they're starting and offering a promotion for us to start a store there?

I was interested in it but after I opened it I sat it on the table and my room mate accidentally tossed it thinking it was trash.

Anyone have any idea what I'm talking about?

Message 1 of 29
latest reply
28 REPLIES 28

Re: Letter from Paypal?

i just looked into my email and the website was BigCommerce

Message 16 of 29
latest reply

I didn't get the letter but I did get the working capital email. I'm glad they explianed how it would work going forward.

Message 17 of 29
latest reply

Anonymous
Not applicable

@saki12607 wrote:

That's not a new ecommerce site run by PayPal. That was an advertisement and PayPal was paid to send it out. Do a search for "paypal ecommerce site" and you'll find a PayPal page with lists of sites they partnered with and probably get commissions from the referrals.

These companies aren't like eBay and they don't bring you traffic. They're primarily hosts for your own ecommerce platform and you bring in your own traffic and buyers.

Message 18 of 29
latest reply

I didn't really look into the actual site. I just know that PayPal sent me a message regarding it and they also sent me a snail mail flyer about it. I would tend to agree though that they are a paid advertiser for them. ... I just found it interesting because I have never received flyers through the mail from any PayPal "sponsored" sites like that before.
Message 19 of 29
latest reply

@gracieallen01 wrote:

IF PayPal is actually sending these out, it may be an indication that it is PayPal's choice not to be included in the managed payments at this time, and that they may not be 'available' next summer, either.

I understand but I don't think so.  I think it is part of Ebay's test of the new payment system~they want to see how it goes without having Paypal as part of the mix.  I think it is entirely Ebay's decision and it is only for those sellers who opted into the managed payment system~so the majority of sellers still take Paypal.  I just don't think Paypal is going to be throwing business away, but I do think it might make sense and be attractive to Paypal to start their own site.

But I respect you and your opinion, Gracie.

Message 20 of 29
latest reply

I hope Paypal does start their own website and tries to poach me.

Come on, I'm a Gazelle! Poach me with an offer I can't refuse so I can get off this sinking ship!

Message 21 of 29
latest reply

@saki12607 wrote:

Thats the one I got as well. Was hoping for something better.

With the loss of business PayPal is potentially facing, if I was on that board I would sure be looking for a way to deal with it.

The Race is over
The Rats won.
Message 22 of 29
latest reply

That is why I prefaced it with 'IF' - the biggest little word in the dictionary, as some might say.

Just another possibility of the path 'The Program' might be taking.  Smiley Surprised  Smiley Wink

Not saying 'NO' doesn't mean 'YES'.

The foolishness of one's actions or words is determined by the number of witnesses.

Perhaps if Brains were described as an APP, many people would use them more often.

Respect, like money, is only of 'worth' when it is earned - with all due respect, it can not be ordained, legislated or coerced. Anonymous
Message 23 of 29
latest reply

Does anyone know where to find it? Maybe I got a notice and didnt look at it.  I am EXCITED!  come on paypal!!!!!! fill the void!  I'll go in a heart beat. My customers dont like ebay doing away with pay pal.

Message 24 of 29
latest reply

I noticed Big Commerce is now part of my Site Preferences. Imagine that.

I am a founding member of the eBay Community Expert Group: a USA volunteer mentor with over a decade of experience. I am not an eBay employee.

Live simply. Care deeply. Love generously. Speak kindly. Laugh loudly. Act responsibly. Rejoice daily. Help cheerfully. Plan carefully. Criticize sparingly. Invest wisely. Forgive willingly. Shop seriously. Play fairly. Learn graciously.
Message 25 of 29
latest reply

wow! no I didn't get any. Sounds kind of weird, I would call Paypal to make sure it came from them.
Message 26 of 29
latest reply

@voguevintage wrote:

I hope Paypal does start their own website and tries to poach me.

Come on, I'm a Gazelle! Poach me with an offer I can't refuse so I can get off this sinking ship!

I hope you have a tremendous month of sales going then have paypal ludicrously throw a hold on your money and demand a bunch of nonsensical hoops for you to jump through after youve been a completely established account holder and seller for 15 years like they did to me today. 

I guarantee youll change your paypal tune RIGHT QUICK.

Message 27 of 29
latest reply

According to recent/latest financial reports PayPal is doing streets better than eBay, and that includes stock price.

PayPal is taking off while eBay is stagnating.

https://www.fool.com/investing/2019/01/11/why-paypal-holdings-stock-gained-14-in-2018.aspx

While Etsy, offerup, and a few other sites aren't much for eBay to worry about yet; Facebook and in particular Amazon most certainly are.

For many modern items (read not vintage, antique or otherwise unusual) you can often find them on Amazon either on sale by that place or third party affiliates far cheaper than many are selling the same exact on eBay. Even better Amazon is throwing in Prime and or free shipping/same day delivery. You can't beat that with a stick.

Try to support fellow eBay sellers often as possible, but when things are ten, twenty or more dollars less on Amazon... That and AMEX has been on a roll lately with various reward offers from Amazon.

Message 28 of 29
latest reply

Hello Everyone,

Due to the age of the thread, it has been closed to further replies.  Please feel free to start a new thread if you wish to continue to discuss this topic.

Thanks for understanding!

Message 29 of 29
latest reply