cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Just your honest opinion, please?

Family member saw a Youtube eBay show. Seller said he never leaves description for items unless it has a defect. Because 8 out of 10 buyers do not read description and only look at a couple photos.  Would you as a seller agree with this?

We would just like opinions because we feel that we should give the best description possible. As a buyer, I look and read. But, our daughter who is a reseller says we might be wasting our time.  Hmmm...just a mid-week question.

Thanks for your impute

Message 1 of 56
latest reply
1 BEST ANSWER

Accepted Solutions

@frecklesfinery88 

Sellers are a diverse group, with diverse goals and diverse business models. One size doesn't fit all. That's true of writing descriptions as well. 

And, in my case, I'm a small seller of vintage and used stuff. If I were selling other stuff, or if I had other goals, etc, I might feel differently about writing descriptions. But since you asked about our personal opinions....I write what I please. LOL Many of my listings have pretty short descriptions. Some are longer. I have a 30 day free return policy, so I don't spend a lot of time worrying about whether a buyer read the full description before buying or not (or examined the photos carefully). If they decide to return it, they will, regardless of what they actually read or didn't. Yes, it is doubtless more "efficient" to leave the description blank (or do as many sellers do, simply repeat the title) But like I said, I'm a small seller and , while being efficient is generally a good thing, I don't feel a lot of pressure to be as efficient as say, an Amazon warehouse.

Here's a description I wrote the other day, because I felt like writing it that way. I could have kept it much shorter. The information about the tea room and the funny Silent Cal story won't prevent an INAD. Will they help make the sale? Maybe. Maybe not. I don't worry too much about that. If it helps, great. If it doesn't...well, my time is my time, and if I choose to spend a bit of extra time on the description, that's my choice. 

"Colorful hand decorated transferware souvenir plate with a floral border and central motif of the " Home of President Coolidge Plymouth Vermont". The mark on the bottom indicates this was made by Adams Pottery, in Staffordshire England and marketed as Old English Staffordshire Ware, imported to the USA by JonRoth for Ruth M. Aldrich of Plymouth, Vermont. Ruth operated the nearby Top of the Notch Tea Room & Gift Shop, where this was undoubtedly purchased by a traveler in that more genteel time. (probably the 1930s or 1940s.)

President Calvin Coolidge  (served 1923 - 1929) was known as "Silent Cal" , legendary for his dry wit and his frugality with words. My favorite example, although some claim it is apocryphal, is this: his wife recounted that a young woman sitting next to Coolidge at a dinner party confided to him she had bet she could get at least three words of conversation from him. Without looking at her, he quietly stated " you lose. "

Condition: very nice condition, with some light overall crazing, but I see no chips, cracks or other issues. I would not hesitate to give this as a gift."

Like I say, that might not get read at all. And, if it is read, it might not move the reader to buy. Was it a good use of my time? Well, that's just it....it's MY time, I'm not on the clock at ebay corporate headquarters, so I'll do as a I please. LOL

My advice: do as you please. Whatever works for you is fine.

View Best Answer in original post

Message 25 of 56
latest reply
55 REPLIES 55

@frecklesfinery88 wrote:

Family member saw a Youtube eBay show. Seller said he never leaves description for items unless it has a defect. Because 8 out of 10 buyers do not read description and only look at a couple photos.  Would you as a seller agree with this?

Nonsense; of course not. As the saying goes: Write your description as if you had no photos, and take your photos as if you had no description. One backs up the other.

You can cut down on Not As Described claims by providing the details that buyers might otherwise have to guess at, possibly incorrectly.

This does not mean relying on AI to do your writing for you, unless you're going to take the time to check that its descriptions are accurate (and to take out the wildly-overused phrase "must-have," which seems to infest every AI description with one or more instances). For example, you have a blouse listing that reads, "The shirt has a classic fit and comes in size M, making it a perfect fit for any woman." If it's "size M" then it does not fit "any woman."

Message 2 of 56
latest reply

I have been an eBay shopper for years, and if there was NO description, I would hit the back button and move on to something else.

Message 3 of 56
latest reply

If you don't leave a detailed description, you open yourself up for an INAD case.

Some unscrupulous or **bleep** buyer will find something wrong and open a case.  Some flaws don't show up well in photos, especially true for sellers with less than decent photography skills.  Certain buyers will discover the tiniest defect and run with the ball, best to cover yourself as much as possible.

Message 4 of 56
latest reply

NEVER!  I write out descriptions in detail, but that doesn't mean buyers read it.  I just had a return because the buyer said I didn't say there were b/w not color photos inside.  It was stated specifically in my description!   

evry1nositswindy  •  seller since 2013
Volunteer Community Mentor

Message 5 of 56
latest reply

Some buyers only read the description after they receive the item and believe something isn't right.

Don't forget item specifics, I generally use both to complement one another.

That in itself may save you a return.

And if it doesn't, but then it's not because we didn't mention it.

Message 6 of 56
latest reply

Reply, I do not have any Not as described claims this year, Thankfully. As I stated, I have an adult daughter that helps and yes the younger generation loves the AI. Old Mom, (Me)not as much. But that is my opinion.

I was not asking for an attack. Just opinions from other sellers. 

I was not attacking anyone, nor would I. As we all have different ways of operating our shops. Thanks the fun of eBay.

Thanks though for your opinion though.

Message 7 of 56
latest reply

I am with you.  I just think it is an interesting frame of mind that one generation doesn't think description really matters only photos.

I thought is was an interesting topic.

Thank you

Message 8 of 56
latest reply

I agree.  I buy a lot on ebay and if there is no description I pass it by.

Message 9 of 56
latest reply

I agree. I shop that way too.

Thank you

Message 10 of 56
latest reply

@frecklesfinery88 wrote:

Reply, I do not have any Not as described claims this year, Thankfully. As I stated, I have an adult daughter that helps and yes the younger generation loves the AI. Old Mom, (Me)not as much. But that is my opinion.

I was not asking for an attack. Just opinions from other sellers.

Believe me, I was not attacking you. I'm sorry if you took it that way. 

Your Item Specifics look very comprehensive, but I would never recommend using the AI app to write the description for you. Just write your own, be factual and concise, and the Item Specifics will be there to fill in the finer points.

Message 11 of 56
latest reply

As I stated, I do write my own. But, we work as a family. My daughter likes AI & to be honest I am not going behind her to change it as long as the specifics are correct. 

We just thought it was an interesting topic. Maybe difference in generations too.

Thank you

Message 12 of 56
latest reply

@frecklesfinery88 wrote:

Because 8 out of 10 buyers do not read description and only look at a couple photos. 

I think it's more like 9.9 out of 10 buyers do not read descriptions, but part of that is eBay's fault for burying Description on mobile and adding so much other 'junk' above the Description field on computers.

That said... I would never ever NOT put in a description.   

Message 13 of 56
latest reply

Will some buyers never read description....yes...........Will some buyers BUY because of a description......yes.......

Unless you are a mega operation where time involved to describe is a problem..........why not describe?  This is the one place you can SELL an item in words.....to ignore that opportunity, to me, means you are probably losing some sales.........

Message 14 of 56
latest reply

@frecklesfinery88 

@a_c_green 

By the time you set up the AI, you could have written the description , if the description contains any useful information at all.

For example, with a garment, Size is an opinion. Measurements are facts.

Even with Men's Wear.

Message 15 of 56
latest reply