cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Just your honest opinion, please?

Family member saw a Youtube eBay show. Seller said he never leaves description for items unless it has a defect. Because 8 out of 10 buyers do not read description and only look at a couple photos.  Would you as a seller agree with this?

We would just like opinions because we feel that we should give the best description possible. As a buyer, I look and read. But, our daughter who is a reseller says we might be wasting our time.  Hmmm...just a mid-week question.

Thanks for your impute

Message 1 of 56
latest reply
55 REPLIES 55

Re: Just your honest opinion, please?

I've scoped out a number of YouTubers and can only stomach a few of them. The ones who are calm, not hyper.

I watched one recently, very perky, and I could swear she seeded the thrift shops before filming her little "go shopping with me" video. No one on a random Goodwill expedition finds the quality of stuff she was finding for the low prices she was paying. I've wondered how much money some of these accounts make off YT compared to what they make on eBay.

Message 46 of 56
latest reply

I think that depends on what you are buying.   I sell coins, banknotes, and other collectible items so I have a mix of unique and common retail items.   I find that some sellers in my category are quite lazy because they don't take the time to give any history of an item or provide adequate information to a buyer, especially knowing that this site is full of novice collectors.  Personally, I would not buy from anyone I consider to be a lazy seller, but that is my preference.  Some items that are common retail items don't need an elaborate description, however I believe that all listings should include at a minimum the nomenclature of the item, its SKU if it has one, the quantity of the items you are buying and basic information like size, color, and country of origin because I know that many American buyers try to buy products that are Made in the USA whenever possible.   I also believe that each listing should have the shipping and handling policy for the item and a buyer should list out their return policies as well.  

As a seller who happens to buy, I do like to see a good description, but this is my preference.

Message 47 of 56
latest reply

Your comment is so true.  In the Navy, I remember a senior military member teaching me acronymns when I first joined and one of the ones he said was the one that we all have heard - Cover Your A!% (CYA).  There is always some unscrupulous buyer out there that will try to find some angle to get something free or discounted.

Message 48 of 56
latest reply

I think we saw some of the same YouTube videos.  LMAO!  You might find some great stuff 1 out of every 10 visits at most.  

Message 49 of 56
latest reply

Depends on the item and the category. I don't need a detailed description and numerous pics for an ordinary widget in new condition. But that's very different than, say, an antiquarian book.

I avoid sellers with no description, a minimal description, or some tripe from AI. If they're lazy when listing, it could also mean slow shipping, careless packaging, and other stuff that makes for a bad transaction.

Message 50 of 56
latest reply

I think that post was referring to no description or just using AI as lazy.

Message 51 of 56
latest reply

I guess it depends on what you are selling. If the youtuber can get away with it, props to him. For my kind of products? I feel I need descriptions and if a history is necessary I will put that too.  If descriptions weren't important, than customers wouldn't have the option to return an item for not being exactly as described. Maybe you can get away from writing the detailed description if you have filled out the item specifics but no, I think you need that description.

Message 52 of 56
latest reply

It's a bad idea. I watched a figurine sell for nearly $300 with an ai description. It had 2 repairs  of a broken waist and hand, poorly glued back together. Of course ai made no mention of this in the flowery nonsense description.

Message 53 of 56
latest reply

Almost all sellers cut corners, trying to be more efficient. For me, it's having maybe 1.333 photographs per listing, on average. They are rotated and have the excess space around the perimeter deleted (cropped).

I have set a minimum standard for myself when composing descriptions. That is defined as typing ALL of the text from the retail package into my description. Watch shoppers. Some items get grabbed and thrown into their cart. Other items get rotated as they read the six sides of the package. Including that text:
a) Provides them with the virtual shopping experience since they do not have the package in hand to rotate and read.
b) Some won't want to Zoom In to your eBay photos to read.
c) Answers almost all of the questions they would ask the seller through the eBay Message Center.
d) Prevents the buyer from leaving your listing to look at identical items to find the information.
e) Including a list of makes and models the item will fit will ensure compatibility and reduce returns.

I include Removal and Installation Instructions. Some come with the merchandise and others I compose myself. I also include a list of required tools. That empowers the Do-It-Yourselfer to do the work themselves and save money by not having to hire a professional. In some cases, it discourages mechanically challenged buyers from attempting an installation. It encourages them to hire a professional. That reduces returns.

The pen is mightier than the sword. The keyboard is mightier than the pen. Use your keyboard as your Excalibur to slay your competition. In summary, a complete description usually enables me to sell more units compared against other sellers with identical items.

Message 54 of 56
latest reply

My honest opinion is I like a good description and good pictures. I always had specific descriptions in my listings, particularly 20 years ago, when I was selling expensive antiques and collectibles.

I write a description and I add as many Item Specifics that seem appropriate. With all Item specific and the description it might look like I am over doing it but, that's the way I like it. If a potential buyer does not want to read the description, well, it's fine. The description will be there for the person who like to see a description.

My point is I do not think a potential buyer will hit the back button because there is a description but I rather think a potential buyer might hit the back button  because there is no description.

And when it comes to AI descriptions, it probably depends on what you are selling. Not for me for sure.

Wishing the best!

Message 55 of 56
latest reply

@redlinear wrote:

Some days it seems like NOBODY reads descriptions.  

And for buyers using the app - some days it seems like nobody can FIND the descriptions.

Message 56 of 56
latest reply