cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Just your honest opinion, please?

Family member saw a Youtube eBay show. Seller said he never leaves description for items unless it has a defect. Because 8 out of 10 buyers do not read description and only look at a couple photos.  Would you as a seller agree with this?

We would just like opinions because we feel that we should give the best description possible. As a buyer, I look and read. But, our daughter who is a reseller says we might be wasting our time.  Hmmm...just a mid-week question.

Thanks for your impute

Message 1 of 56
latest reply
55 REPLIES 55

Re: Just your honest opinion, please?

Has anyone ever gotten good advice about eBay via Youtube?  

Even if just  a minority of potential buyers read the description, it could make the difference between making a sale or not, and potentially avoiding  a SNAD complaint.  The AI descriptions seem very fluffy and insubstantial, which would make them virtually useless.

Message 16 of 56
latest reply

The answer is yes and no.

Most do not read description until they see the item and picture they like then look for more info.

Most just buy off pictures without reading more first few times then learn their lesson when item came not as describe. then they start reading or quit ebay.

I do not read any description until the image attract me on the item I want. then I read.

Message 17 of 56
latest reply

Hi @frecklesfinery88 

Good topic! I would never choose to impart less information to buyers, so i fill out every section. I agree with other posters, omitting the description field is risky and could leave sellers vulnerable.

Each section of the listing form is important and has a role to play in Search Engine Optimization. Complete details are necessary in mail order. Consumers must rely on text and photos to inform them about the item. They do not get to inspect the goods in person.

PS—wanted to emphasize that the eBayer who was first to respond to your post, @a_c_green , is a helpful, knowledgeable, and respected member of the community. His point of view was truly not an attack. Not his/her style.

For the most part, forum participants come to either get help or offer help. There are the rare trolls who pop in occasionally to make trouble, too. But they can be spotted a mile off.

Sometimes the written word makes it hard to get a sense of the posters subtext. Rest assured, in this instance nothing he/she shared was meant to denigrate, but only to inform.

Message 18 of 56
latest reply

@femmefan1946 wrote:

@frecklesfinery88 

@a_c_green 

By the time you set up the AI, you could have written the description , if the description contains any useful information at all.

For example, with a garment, Size is an opinion. Measurements are facts.

Even with Men's Wear.

I walked through a number of the OPs listings at random. I have not yet found any that did not use AI for the descriptions. In every one there is at least one error by the AI that has gone unnoticed and un-fixed:

A 1969 Chevy Nova dealer catalog that the AI keeps calling a 'manual' when it is not the service manual but just an 8-page flyer

A Tupperware 5-piece steamer set where the first paragraph says that there are 2 lids and 3 bowls (which is right according to the photos) but the second paragraph says that there are 'a total of five items, including the lid' (singular?)

Banana Republic High Rise Skinny Jeans described as 'accents including the Banana Republic logo on the pockets' when the photos show that there is no logo on any of the pockets

Using AI in your descriptions is really causing more problems than it solves. At minimum you have to actually read it as if you were the buyer and knew nothing about the item. Then see if every sentence it puts together for you is actually accurate. Some of the wording it produces is just weird while other wording is factually wrong. No one is going to complain about a just-the-facts description written by you that gives all the right details - especially if there is some issue that you need to mention. Good luck!

Message 19 of 56
latest reply

I understand and no harm, no foul. As stated, we just thought it was a fun topic. The great thing about it is everyone is learning and helping each other.

Thank you so much 😊 

Happy Wednesday 

Message 20 of 56
latest reply

I always read descriptions when I buy.   Always.  If there is no description, as many others have already said, I hit the back button. 

As a seller I always write descriptions.  I know it's the trend not to write a description, but it's not a good one.  I agree that many, probably most, buyers don't read the description., but it still needs to be there.  The only time I let a case go all the way up to ebay intervening, I won, because the buyer missed an important point that was clearly listed in the description.  So it's to your benefit to write it.

I keep it simple.  I write only the basics, any defects that I would want to know about if I were buying it & the general condition of the item.  When I first started selling, I remember someone saying if you write every single little issue, you'll never sell anything.  That stuck with me as I don't like the long-winded descriptions either.  That why I say that I only list the main points.   So far it's been working for me for 20 years, so I don't think I'll change it!  🙂

Message 21 of 56
latest reply

8 out of 10....sounds a little off to me..... in my main categories

(and, of course, descriptions are somewhat category driven, especially with 'used' items.)

In books, for example, a picture might not show flaws that are apparent. The ebay condition descriptions are way too vague for middle to upper priced books. Those buyers/collectors need that description.

As mentioned, the picture leads to the description.

In comics/magazines, if they are graded, the description is not as important. It's all about the grade in most cases......if there are flaws on the encapsulation, that's where the description is important.

Message 22 of 56
latest reply

It all really depends on what you sell and buy.  

The item specifics are a good indication of what you are selling.  The description box if the item is used, also contains a lot of information if used.  When I sell used items I mostly cut and paste what I have already said.

If it is in the IS should I also then drone on about the size, color etc in the description?  I do, but I don't think it is always necessary.

I also get a chuckle out of needed a wall of words in the description.  Have any of you tried to find the description on some pages? There are so many promoted listing items and photos and "try this" or "maybe you really want this" that it takes a bit of time to even find the description in some items.

Message 23 of 56
latest reply

eBay would talk about "above the fold" many years ago.  That is the prime real estate on the page that you see without scrolling.  

I just looked at a "used item" I sell on another ID (not logged in with that selling ID)

The basics, photos, condition, title, price, buy now etc were above the fold.

Then I scrolled down and the next part of the page was "similar items" "Sponsored"  with photos of other seller's offerings.

Then I scrolled down and there was "explore related items" with photos and listings from other sellers

And then finally it got to my item specifics and description 

Followed by a  feedback overview

Followed by more sponsored listings.. related stores and literally another 50 other listings for similar items.

My point, you have to scroll through a lot of junk to get to the description.  No wonder people don't value it anymore.

Message 24 of 56
latest reply

@frecklesfinery88 

Sellers are a diverse group, with diverse goals and diverse business models. One size doesn't fit all. That's true of writing descriptions as well. 

And, in my case, I'm a small seller of vintage and used stuff. If I were selling other stuff, or if I had other goals, etc, I might feel differently about writing descriptions. But since you asked about our personal opinions....I write what I please. LOL Many of my listings have pretty short descriptions. Some are longer. I have a 30 day free return policy, so I don't spend a lot of time worrying about whether a buyer read the full description before buying or not (or examined the photos carefully). If they decide to return it, they will, regardless of what they actually read or didn't. Yes, it is doubtless more "efficient" to leave the description blank (or do as many sellers do, simply repeat the title) But like I said, I'm a small seller and , while being efficient is generally a good thing, I don't feel a lot of pressure to be as efficient as say, an Amazon warehouse.

Here's a description I wrote the other day, because I felt like writing it that way. I could have kept it much shorter. The information about the tea room and the funny Silent Cal story won't prevent an INAD. Will they help make the sale? Maybe. Maybe not. I don't worry too much about that. If it helps, great. If it doesn't...well, my time is my time, and if I choose to spend a bit of extra time on the description, that's my choice. 

"Colorful hand decorated transferware souvenir plate with a floral border and central motif of the " Home of President Coolidge Plymouth Vermont". The mark on the bottom indicates this was made by Adams Pottery, in Staffordshire England and marketed as Old English Staffordshire Ware, imported to the USA by JonRoth for Ruth M. Aldrich of Plymouth, Vermont. Ruth operated the nearby Top of the Notch Tea Room & Gift Shop, where this was undoubtedly purchased by a traveler in that more genteel time. (probably the 1930s or 1940s.)

President Calvin Coolidge  (served 1923 - 1929) was known as "Silent Cal" , legendary for his dry wit and his frugality with words. My favorite example, although some claim it is apocryphal, is this: his wife recounted that a young woman sitting next to Coolidge at a dinner party confided to him she had bet she could get at least three words of conversation from him. Without looking at her, he quietly stated " you lose. "

Condition: very nice condition, with some light overall crazing, but I see no chips, cracks or other issues. I would not hesitate to give this as a gift."

Like I say, that might not get read at all. And, if it is read, it might not move the reader to buy. Was it a good use of my time? Well, that's just it....it's MY time, I'm not on the clock at ebay corporate headquarters, so I'll do as a I please. LOL

My advice: do as you please. Whatever works for you is fine.

Message 25 of 56
latest reply

That's what I said as well.  I think that's just a guesstimate. I read everything, but that's me.  I love eBay and resale. It's all the options of the seller. 

This has been a great topic and fun to read.  Oh there I go. 

Thanks to everyone for participating 🙂 

Message 26 of 56
latest reply

Wow, well as I stated I didn't post to get critiqued.  I wish that  you that were looking were shoppers! Haha

We do our very best to provide accurate information and photos. We always are happy to answer questions as well.

I hope this topic added to your day and it was fun.

Thanks

Message 27 of 56
latest reply

Never- always provided a bullet point descriptions and about 6 to 10 close up  pics ( without the family dog, flowers etc. in the background) for ever item I listed and sold.  Had  very few issues with buyers.

Sounds like someone is lazy.

"I have the right to remain silent but I didn't have the ability." Ron White, Fritch, Texas
"Stay away from negative people, they have a problem for every solution." A. Einstein
The Devil made me do it! - Flip Wilson
If the band can only play loud - they ain't no good - peps too J.R. Johnson
Message 28 of 56
latest reply

@johnrj1226  Your post indicates that it is a response to my post. I'm not sure if that's what you intended? 

Bullet points are fine as far as I'm concerned. I've used them for some descriptions, and as I say, whatever works for you.

Not sure I'd consider my descriptions evidence of laziness though, just because I didn't use bullet points?

Message 29 of 56
latest reply

@frecklesfinery88   how would he know 8 out of 10?

there r those that read descriptions in minute detail, some read generally, some skim read, some don't read at all, etc etc etc

for me, i will describe for the buyers who want to know exactly what they are buying, that will cover all buyers.

Message 30 of 56
latest reply