cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Just for information

Have no idea if this would apply on ebay...........

New story (google it) about Cartier having an ad for $13,000 pair of earrings......listed for $13..... guy from Mexico bought them for $13.  Cartier offered some stuff .......Champagne and something else.  Buyer turned it down and went to the Mexican Consumer agency.  Cartier ended up sending the earrings.  Doesn't say what pressure, if any, the Agency put on Cartier or whether Cartier simply decided the bad publicity wasn't worth it.......  Purchase was on Instagram, not Ebay.....

Message 1 of 17
latest reply
16 REPLIES 16

Re: Just for information

There are two big merchants on eBay that I follow.  (both brand sellers) One is a sports/apparel and the other is the product I sell.

At one point in the last year or so, they both made huge pricing errors.  There was a discussion about the sports apparel seller here.  The negatives were flying  and in one case, they were being removed as fast as they were being left.

I don't know the law as it relates to pricing mistakes but I do know that mistakes happen.  The problem with the average eBay seller is that they don't have the volume to absorb the "cancelled transaction rate" nor do they want the ensuing negative feedback.  They also won't have the ear of eBay to remove the negatives.

It is possible that it was done for publicity or to turn the negative publicity into positive.  (see, we let the guy have it for the mistaken price) 

Maybe they could have used the eBay seller excuse "buyer requested to cancel"

Message 16 of 17
latest reply

Re: Just for information

@dhbookds wrote:

Point was....we make mistakes in pricing on ebay.....could we be required to honor the price? 

eBay does not have a mechanism to require a seller to pack up an item and ship it. eBay also has no mechanism that re-activates an order that is canceled for "Out of stock / Item not available'. Surely you have been on this board long enough to know that. 

However, some sellers might have a code of ethics that requires them to honor the price.

Message 17 of 17
latest reply