cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Item sold and shipped. Ebay is not allowing set up of Chase bank account for payment

My brother lives with my parents, but are having issues and I'm trying to help out.  I don't have all of the details, but I need to find some resolution or help point me in the right direction

My brother sold a used PS4 for $80.00 around 8/14/2023

The buyer paid right away and the item was shipped

Apparently, my brother didn't have a bank account linked so he attempted to link his Chase account. 

He never received any micro deposits after multiple attempts

From what i understand, my mom got a hold of customer service and was told that was because they do not do business with JP Morgan Chase, but the walk them through manually setting  up an account with Chase. This was on 9/1/2023 and they were told it probably wouldn't go through until the following Monday.    That was a holiday, so they assumed it would be Tuesday.

Tuesday came and went and they still have not received any micro deposits.  Apparently my mom called them today 9/8/2023 and was told they is an internal issue and they are no longer doing business with Chase.  Meanwhile they still have my brothers $80.00

They suggested that he open a new account with another bank or open an online Visa account.  

Has this happened to anyone else or has anyone heard of this? How could eBay not do business with JP Morgan Chase?

Are those the only 2 options now for getting paid from ebay?  

The whole thing sounds ridiculous and totally unprofessional 

Message 1 of 29
latest reply
28 REPLIES 28

Item sold and shipped. Ebay is not allowing set up of Chase bank account for payment

Are you sure your mom is talking to eBay? If you just google to find ebay's phone #, a lot of the #s that come up are scam operations. I can't imagine that eBay wouldn't accept a Chase acct and eBay would never  suggest opening an online Visa account.

Use the help links from ebay's site to request a call back or use the chat feature. I prefer chat because I can have a record of the conversation.

Check with your mother to see what information she might have given out to whomever she called and change passwords as necessary.

Message 2 of 29
latest reply

This doesn't fix the OP's situation but it amazes me that ebay lets sellers list items before they have their banking information and managed payments in place. 

albertabrightalberta
Volunteer Community Mentor

Message 3 of 29
latest reply

Doesn't make any sense....EBAY allows many, many banking options (as Chase is a major bank I am sure they would be included).   Is EBAY account in your brother's name?  He needs to follow steps below to get paid.

All new Sellers must register with Managed Payments.   You need to supply checking account (ROUTING# only) and social security# (for tax purposes).   NAME on EBAY profile page, checking account and social security card must be EXACT MATCH (otherwise your application may be denied).   No nicknames allowed (must be your full "legal name").

After sale is made money is deposited into your checking account 5-7 days AFTER sale was made.   If this is a new EBAY account (money could be held for 21 days).

Once you supply correct information...you will get an email from EBAY telling when you application has been approved.

Message 4 of 29
latest reply

If your mother is calling a number to reach eBay, she is not actually speaking with eBay.

Members can only receive a callback, chat or reach eBay thru social media. 

Posting ID
Message 5 of 29
latest reply

@davesthubbins 

The fact that eBay is allowing people to sell without a payment method strikes me as being a bit irresponsible on their part.  There are other on line banks that you can use.   I use the Walmart Green Dot Bank and have used it for years.  You can apply for it on line.  It provides a routing and account number just like any other bank and is perfectly acceptable.  Here's the link should you consider it:

https://www.walmartmoneycard.com/

Message 6 of 29
latest reply

Apparently, my brother didn't have a bank account linked so he attempted to link his Chase account. 

Is the account he is linking a true CHECKING account, and not a savings account or some sort of hybrid credit card account? It must be a checking account that allows unlimited ACH transactions which savings accounts do not. 

Message 7 of 29
latest reply

I have a bad feeling about this.  It has been well over two years since it was possible to telephone eBay directly,  If your mother found a number to place a call direct eBay, she found the number of a scammer and has now given that scammer probably a fair amount of eBay account info and personal info.

Before recommending anything, we need to know whether your mother used the Help & Contact link and arranged for a telephone call-back from eBay, or whether she called a number that she found on the internet (and, therefore, called a scammer).

JP Morgan Chase is not just the largest bank in the U.S. , it is one of the largest in the world (and the largest by market-cap, I believe) so it is absurd to think that eBay does not do business with it.

-

Message 8 of 29
latest reply

@davesthubbins Is your brother over 18?

I have been imported from Australia and this is my posting ID
Message 9 of 29
latest reply

Same thoughts i had.  I guess if you already have a Buyers account and are buying a bunch of stuff, they'll let you sell too.  But if that's the case then why don't they just use the same financial information that's on record for the purchases.  Makes zero sense.

Message 10 of 29
latest reply

Trust me. I asked like 4 different times if they were using the correct account number and routing number and was  assured they did. I'll have to make sure the name matches exactly though. 

Message 11 of 29
latest reply

@davesthubbins 

why don't they just use the same financial information that's on record for the purchases.

Because many buyers use a credit card, a debit card, a gift card, or Paypal for payments.

None of these are acceptable for Managed Accounts

Managed Accounts needs the seller's SSN for that 1066 form so many sellers are terrified by.

And as explained above they need a Checking account so they can collect any random fees not covered by customer payments, like a Store subscription that comes due on a Wednesday when the weekly transfer was on  Tuesday and there in no money being Held yet.

This also takes care of the underage seller question raised above since minors cannot be held to most contracts.

And all names must match.

If your name is John Jacob Jingleheimer Smith, you cannot have a bank account as J J  Jingleheimer Smith , a Managed Payment account as John Jacob Jingleheimer Smith, and an eBay account as JJJ Smith.

Message 12 of 29
latest reply

@davesthubbins wrote:

Same thoughts i had.  I guess if you already have a Buyers account and are buying a bunch of stuff, they'll let you sell too.  But if that's the case then why don't they just use the same financial information that's on record for the purchases.  Makes zero sense.

Buyers don't have to give any financial information to eBay beyond possibly a credit card number, if they use PayPal, Gpay or Applepay they don't have to give eBay ANYTHING other than a name (doesn't need to be real), shipping address (could be anywhere) and (anonymous) email address.

Message 13 of 29
latest reply

The phone reps have a terrible reputation for getting you off the phone as soon as possible even if that means giving you the advice you want to hear instead of the advice you need to have.

https://www.facebook.com/eBayForBusiness/ — Message button in upper right on landing page.
https://twitter.com/askebay?lang=en

https://community.ebay.com/t5/Selling/How-do-I-contact-Customer-Support/m-p/32016431#M1783851 -> Automated Assistant, type AGENT -> enter. You will then get more options.

The social media Chat accounts are covered by trained eBay employees with some authority.
And you get a transcript so you can compare what you heard with what you were told.

And again, as others have asked, where did your mum find that number?
She may have been innocently giving your brother's financial information to a scammer in Belarus.

EBay phones you back once you get in touch through Help and Contact.

Message 14 of 29
latest reply

My account has been with chase since starting with eBay in 2005. Zero issues.

Message 15 of 29
latest reply