cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Item return - Problem when seller attempts to refund buyer

Hello, I am seeking some help or insight in order to resolve an issue that I am having with eBay.

I sold an item via eBay. The buyer decided to return the item. I have been attempting to refund their purchase during the past weeks to no avail.

Here are the steps taken that will reproduce the issue:

1. Upon viewing the sold items page on my eBay account, I click on the 'View order details' dropdown.

2. The dropdown offers multiple options, and I select the option 'Send refund'. The reason for refund selected is 'Buyer return'.

3. Upon entering the full cost amount for the order, I click 'Review Refund'.

4. A new page which confirms the refund initiation has the option 'Send Refund', which I select to continue.

5. An error is returned which reads, "Your refund did not go through because we could not verify your payment option. Please change your payment option and try again."

I have tried selecting other refund reasons. I have verified the payment methods on file, which are all correct -- and should be, since these are the primary payment options. I have attempted to contact eBay via the help page, as well as by phone... which directs me back to the help page.

How can I refund the buyer?

Message 1 of 3
latest reply
2 REPLIES 2

Did buyer open "return request" using EBAY automated system?   If so, you should wait until item is returned and then go to "open case" and click SEND REFUND.   Refund should be done through EBAY automated system (this way EBAY has a record of the refund).

If buyer did NOT "open case" and you just want to SEND REFUND.   Go to ORDERS (click SEND REFUND) and choose different reason (such as OTHER ADJUSTMENT).    I believe the reason your refund will not go through is because you are choosing reason BUYER CANCELLED (you cannot "cancel an order after it has been shipped".

Message 2 of 3
latest reply

Usually that means your payment method used for seller fees isn't working.  Check that first.  If you use a credit card, make sure the number and expiration date are accurate.

Message 3 of 3
latest reply