cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Item being forwarded from US address to China

I have an item that I sold to a buyer that seems to be from China, The address they are using is an address in the state of Delaware. The address seems to be for a possible shipping warehouse that forwards to an international address.  The buyer told me they were in a foreign country and asked me to make sure to pack and secure the item very well. That was concerning to me... I asked them to confirm their address- if they lived in the States and they said that yes the address is correct. 

I did ship the item today but was concerned about the address. So I googled the address and it is a warehouse that forwards items to China and the Ukraine. 

Should I be concerned about that?

I have the tracking number to ship to the Delaware address.. so I am hoping whatever happens after that is out of my hands?? I did take pictures of the item while I was packing it up to show that it is wrapped securely.  I am just hoping that I am not getting scammed.

I am not sure if I should report the buyer or wait to see if they try to get a refund or something first. 

Message 1 of 11
latest reply
10 REPLIES 10

Plenty of sales go through freight forwarders like that daily, and most have no problems.  Once it's in their hands, theoretically it's no longer your responsibility, though you might have to prove that it was forwarded to them if there is a problem.

Bottom line: don't stress, but come back if there is any type of problem.

Message 2 of 11
latest reply

The buyer is using a freight forwarder in the US.

Many international buyers do that.

A lot of the freight forwarders will be in Delaware or Oregon because those states have no state sales tax.

Once your package gets to the freight forwarder's address, you are more or less off the hook.

What would you report the buyer for, exactly? 

Message 3 of 11
latest reply

Thank you for reply. I didn't realize that buyers used freight forwarders like that. I wasn't sure what to report the buyer for honestly   😀  I just wanted to confirm they are a legit buyer I guess! 

Message 4 of 11
latest reply

Just be aware, if the buyer files for a return.

Your return label will have the freight forwarder's address, it's their responsibility to get it back to the freight forwarder.

Message 5 of 11
latest reply

I am so glad that someone asked this because I had a sale not too long ago that was the same way and few years ago before the pandemic, I had a sale as well. That person was in Ukraine & this person was from China. Both went to Delaware. The address was a business. Now I know so I thank the person that asked & the people that answered. I didn't have any problems with either. Matter of Fact, I contacted the person that was Ukraine. They were really nice and explained to me that there is a loophole when other countries want to buy from a seller that doesn't sell to other countries. I hope this helps. Blessings to you all. 

Message 6 of 11
latest reply

Just a heads up - more so on the buyer's end than yours, freight forward  users lose their money back guarantee coverage because the item is delivered to the freight forwarder. From there to final destination is no longer your concern nor is it ebays. I would not worry because, they made it pretty simple for you.

Message 7 of 11
latest reply

@jenncar-73 

Someone else asked about this today.  I posted a reply, that provides information that may be of use to you later. 
See message #8 here: 

https://community.ebay.com/t5/Selling/International-Buyer-Issues/m-p/34440127#M2393237

Message 8 of 11
latest reply

Treat this as if it were going to delaware. Period.

Nevermind where it's going after that.

Once it reaches delaware your job is done.

Papa Was A Rolling Stone - The Temptations
Message 9 of 11
latest reply

Thank you for that! I am glad to know that others weren't aware of this either 🙂 I am happy that I asked the question! 

Message 10 of 11
latest reply

Freight forwarders are the second safest addresses you can get.

Almost as safe as a post office box. Safer than a porch in a quiet suburb.

Most of the MBG does not apply once the forwarder accepts the shipment.

Forwarders usually deal with import fees for their clients, so no "customs delay" scams.

And NAD claims end when the Return Shipping Label is sent to the forwarder. (Up to the customer to get the disputed item back to the forwarder and pay them to use the label before the NAD deadline. )

Ship it.

Message 11 of 11
latest reply