cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

It's Time to Verify Sellers

It's time for eBay to have some verification process that sellers have what they publicly claimed to have for sale. This nonsense of having people coming on their site and listing things they don't have is killing the spirit of online shopping...even Amazon started following suit.

Online shopping must follow the law and the essence of the Uniform Commercial Code...

Yet, when buyers who already paid and has not gotten their item  call eBay or have eBay call them after the buyer securely logs in to have eBay call...are greeted with so much verify process, its sickening...

Message 1 of 134
latest reply
133 REPLIES 133

Re: It's Time to Verify Sellers

I think the OP is now just having fun with all of us and isn't serious at all.

mam98031  •  Volunteer Community Member  •  Buyer/Seller since 1999
Message 76 of 134
latest reply

Not at all, when someone mentions UCC, you should  know they're more than serious...

Message 77 of 134
latest reply

@mam98031 wrote:

@9ahau wrote:

This is like "too big to fail concept"...here too much transactions to regulate, but guess what, that's coming up...remember taxes on every transactions...eBay was very aggressive not for that to happened...

Not at all.  The two have nothing in common.  You just seem to think that a venue has some responsibility to verify and inventory the items being sold on the site from around the world.  Billions and billions of listings.  You somehow see this as being reasonable and for everyone to be able to stay in business.

The expense of such a thing would be beyond imagination.  The legal team Ebay would have to employ alone because they would be legally responsible for what they say the seller has would be cost preventative alone.

There is a reason why all these sites are Venues only.  They offer a site for a variety of people to come and post the items they have for sale.  But if something like you are proposing were to be necessary, this type of site would no longer exist anywhere.  They would all go out of business, Ebay, Etsy, Craigs list, Facebook marketplace, Ebid, Ecrater, Mercari, Poshmark, Bonanza, Walmart [the 3rd party seller portion], Ruby lane and so much more.  

Every listing was inputted one at a time...it's all software and computer driven. You looking at the sum total of the listings...the billions... then say it's impossible for sellers to say whether the seller has each item (physical possession) or not...that the seller publicly claiming to have for sale. If I have a marketplace, I sure would want whether the seller, using my brand name and proclaiming item for sale, that he/she has it...it's my reputation on the line...the public will know it's an X marketplace's seller.

If the seller doesn't have an item, he/she cannot list it...plain and simple.

Again, this is like the taxes...eBay was saying it's too many transactions to collect the taxes...they found a way...correct?

Message 78 of 134
latest reply

@9ahau wrote:

Not at all, when someone mentions UCC, you should  know they're more than serious...

Just because someone says UCC doesn't mean anything.  They may be serious, but if they can't prove anything, it means nothing.  Slinging mud around amounts to nothing but maybe libel.  

Message 79 of 134
latest reply

What?  When did Ebay say "this is like the taxes...eBay was saying it's too many transactions to collect the taxes...they found a way...correct?"

Ebay fought for years the concept of Internet sales taxes.  They worked with others like Amazon all lobbying and fighting against this ever becoming law.  It was their efforts that likely put it off for all the years it did as it took a ruling by SCOTUS to change things.

The argument was that small sellers / small businesses would be significantly harmed if they had to collect and remit sales taxes for multiple jurisdictions inside of all the states that have sales tax.  And as it ended up SCOTUS agreed with them and ruled that the collection and remitting of sales tax from internet sales could not be overly burdensome on small businesses.

But states didn't want the nightmare of trying to do that anyway, much like how cost preventative what you want ebay to do regarding seller's inventories, trying to collect from all these sellers on all the internet site just didn't make good fiscal sense.

In January of 2019, the State of Washington was the first state to pass an MFL [Marketplace Facilitator Law] that was implemented on Ebay and other internet marketplaces.  From there it was like dominoes.  All the other states that charge sales tax followed.

So now the states didn't have to chase all the little guys, they left that to the Marketplaces to do and the states only dealt with the Marketplaces.

Message 80 of 134
latest reply

Wasn't saying it's a legal code and was meant as a proverb as well as literally reality..the seller having an item on hand, in possession will most likely lead to a successful online sales transaction if the promptly ships with the same urgency as receiving the payment.

Message 81 of 134
latest reply

Okay, I agree on your prosecutorial powers point...it should be to sue; however, you see it's coming right back on eBay and the imperative for it to clean up its marketplace. Remember, eBay's transactions were supposedly to be friendly transaction similarly to a garage sale...then once the news broke that one can become millionaire selling on eBay...that attracted the dishonest folks.

Message 82 of 134
latest reply

mam98031
05-04-2024 11:04 PM

What?  When did Ebay say "this is like the taxes...eBay was saying it's too many transactions to collect the taxes...they found a way...correct?"

It's an analogy...a similarity...however, you pointed out that eBay had to comply...they found a way to as you correctly noted because it's the marketplace's responsibility...just like it's their responsibility that when sellers list items for sale that the sellers have those items...as well as if the buyer determined at anytime before the seller ships, (48hrs had passed and the item is not in the possession of the shipper) that the seller doesn't  have what the seller claimed, the buyer must be able to cancel and refunded immediately.

Message 83 of 134
latest reply

@9ahau wrote:
mam98031
05-04-2024 11:04 PM

It's an analogy...a similarity...however, you pointed out that eBay had to comply...they found a way to as you correctly noted because it's the marketplace's responsibility...just like it's their responsibility that when sellers list items for sale that the sellers have those items...as well as if the buyer determined at anytime before the seller ships, (48hrs had passed and the item is not in the possession of the shipper) that the seller doesn't  have what the seller claimed, the buyer must be able to cancel and refunded immediately.

Apples and oranges.

NO, it is NOT Ebay's responsibility  "just like it's their responsibility that when sellers list items for sale that the sellers have those items."  I get it from this long thread that you want this to happen, but Ebay is NOT currently responsible for this, you just want them to take this job on.  It won't happen for a zillion reasons that have already been explained to you but you refuse to see or accept.

"as well as if the buyer determined at anytime before the seller ships, (48hrs had passed and the item is not in the possession of the shipper) that the seller doesn't  have what the seller claimed"  You have some pretty unusual ideas.  How in the world would a "buyer determine [d]" that a seller doesn't have some certain inventory. 

And how are you defining "possession of the shipper".  Is the shipper the seller?  They aren't always.  Sometimes the shipper is from a warehouse that the seller has their inventory stored in and someone is at that warehouse to pull and ship items as orders come in.

"the buyer must be able to cancel and refunded immediately."  Buyers will never have this ability either as the buyer is not able to determine if the item has been shipped out, only the seller is.  That is why buyers can REQUEST a cancellation, but can not actually process a cancellation.  Not sure why you think buyers should be able to go into a sellers money and issue refunds either.  Ebay isn't going to allow that and it actually sounds illegal to me, but IDK for sure.

It appears you assume that sellers that have to cancel transactions because they are OOS [out of stock] have no ramifications.  Nothing could be further from the truth.  Ebay keeps stats on all sellers.  We are allowed a very small number of these types of cancellations before Ebay starts to sanction the seller.  A seller continues with this behavior get stiffer sanctions up to actually losing their ability to sell on the site.

So Ebay already tracks this stuff.

Message 84 of 134
latest reply

There is a PayPal payment as well as no shipping info or tracking info to show that the shipper has possession of the item/shipment...what more proof you need?

Message 85 of 134
latest reply

If 48hrs pass and the tracking not showing the shipper received the item, the seller has not shipped it. ..that's exactly why the postal service start showing that they're waiting to receive the item. You know how many transactions seller accused that postal service received the item but is not updating the info.

Congress, not me, will change this...eBay is sidestepping the UCC. If the buyer informs the seller to cancel before the seller ships and do so with eBay's message system...and if the seller continues, still ships, the buyer refused the item and return to the seller...then the seller is obligated to refund payment...the seller pays for the free ride...eBay can frown all they want, it's the law...their policy does not delete the law.

Message 86 of 134
latest reply

@9ahau wrote:

There is a PayPal payment as well as no shipping info or tracking info to show that the shipper has possession of the item/shipment...what more proof you need?

What are we now talking about?  In the post you are responding too, you were talking about the UCC, not PayPal.  

Buyers can pay with PayPal, but the transaction will be processed by Managed Payments.  

I'm not at all sure I understand your question, but if you are asking a seller shipping a transaction when the buyer pays with PayPal, the tracking will be in Ebay on the transaction.  The seller has no ability to post anything to the buyer's transaction with PayPal.  

Give me more details about what you are actually talking to and I'd be happy to respond.

Message 87 of 134
latest reply

@9ahau wrote:

If 48hrs pass and the tracking not showing the shipper received the item, the seller has not shipped it. ..that's exactly why the postal service start showing that they're waiting to receive the item. You know how many transactions seller accused that postal service received the item but is not updating the info.

Congress, not me, will change this...eBay is sidestepping the UCC. If the buyer informs the seller to cancel before the seller ships and do so with eBay's message system...and if the seller continues, still ships, the buyer refused the item and return to the seller...then the seller is obligated to refund payment...the seller pays for the free ride...eBay can frown all they want, it's the law...their policy does not delete the law.

You are assuming that the carrier hasn't received the item or that the seller hasn't shipped.  The carrier may not have updated the tracking yet [on Ebay is it not in Real time] or the carrier may not have scanned the package in, or the seller may have had a longer handling time than 2 days, or the seller may have failed to meet their stated handling time for shipping.  

That isn't why USPS started showing when a label is created.  They show that info because it is valid information.  Sometimes I create labels on a Sunday but don't ship until Tuesday.  Or I create a shipping label later in the day on any given business day, but it doesn't ship until the next day.  Or even on a Saturday but it doesn't actually ship until Tuesday because Monday is a holiday.  

USPS has many issues right now and it is getting worse.  You can choose to believe they don't make mistakes or you can choose to consider news reports, the serious delays there are at certain processing centers because they have closed down many other processing centers around the nation.  Or any number of self inflicted issues USPS has implemented in the last few years since DeJoy took over the agency.

You are entitled to your opinion.  You assume far more than I'm willing too, but still you are entitled to your opinion and others are entitled not to agree.

Not sure why you think Ebay "frowns" on the little story you cited above.  Ebay doesn't care.  What you describe can and does happen to sellers that are usually not as experienced.  Trying to force a buyer to buy something they have asked you to cancel is never a good idea to deny their cancellation if you have not yet shipped the item.  I've never said it would be a good idea and nor does Ebay.  What your point is IDK.  Seems you want to create stories that make it seem different than they actually are.

Message 88 of 134
latest reply

So, you're a seller...when I sell on eBay and shipped a sold item, it's immediately shown that USPS is in possession of the item...I don't play around with that because I know that's what the buyer wants to see...online shopping must be conducted swiftly as possible...mirroring the fast payment requirement these days.

I only cancel when three days have passed and no communication from the seller...that's when I know the seller doesn't have what the seller publicly claimed to had for sale yet wanted quick  and immediate payment. It's not reasonable to have something for sale, then get paid, only to take three days to put in an envelope or box...not cool.

The frown story...well, eBay claimed in a transaction once that I was supposed to follow their policy and not refuse the package...that I am to accept it then return as item not as described despite the seller took over five days to ship and was told several times to cancel via eBay's message. I followed the law. Then when I wanted my money back, I had to wait until the seller received the item, while I never took the item out of the postal staff hands...tying up cash flow all because I shop on eBay. That's why I believe the only guarantee buyers have is hassle.

Also, when I sell on eBay, the item is packaged ready to deliver to the carrier, even before it's sold because all is needed is a name and an address, aka shipping label. Some sellers do what you described in your second paragraph...get paid then take their merry time to ship with no sense of urgency...instead they focus on more sales.

Not sure why you think I am making assumptions...I have been shopping on eBay close to the time you started and have seen the days where buyer pays only to get negative feedback for paying because the seller shipped a not as described item...so, I know what I am saying from experience. Once eBay transformed into a big business, all the company cared about is money and developed a sick corporate culture in the process...the friendliness long gone, sadly.

Message 89 of 134
latest reply

'I think the OP is now just having fun with all of us and isn't serious at all."

A dog with a bone comes to mind.

``````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````

“Never pick a fight with an ugly person. They don’t have anything to lose.” ~Robin Williams
Message 90 of 134
latest reply