cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

It's Time to Reimburse Buyers for Return Packaging

When buyers receive  items not as described or defective, and need to return the item, very often they incurred additional cost to package the item before returning it. That's because, to open the package, one must destroy the onetime use packaging. eBay needs to take that into consideration and factor that in the refund process.

Buyers should never lose money just because they shopped on eBay. Sellers get the ability to deduct from their taxes for return merchandise whereas buyers do not.

eBay must create the ability for buyers to upload receipt for packages when they need to return items either not as described or item is defective so sellers can reimburse buyers.

Message 1 of 106
latest reply
105 REPLIES 105

What one-time use packaging are you referring to?  I've never received a package that couldn't be opened without destroying the packaging.

Message 2 of 106
latest reply

What an absolutely ridiculous idea! 
Sellers already pay a return label. I am a seller I wouldn't be paying for a buyer to purchase packaging. Buyers need to open packages carefully in case they decide they don't want the item to repurpose the packaging for the return.  
There are no retailers that pay for packaging to return items so why should eBay sellers? 

You say why should buyers lose money when returning...why should sellers have to lose more money because buyers want to return? 

Message 3 of 106
latest reply

Tape is a wonderful healer.

Message 4 of 106
latest reply

What a great idea!

eBay should require all sellers to offer FREE SHIPPING, FREE RETURNS, 100% Refunds PLUS an EXTRA 10% of the price they paid (automatically deducted from sellers) to cover buyers time and expense for handling returns. Extra Cost to seller would be extra 10% of total buyer paid plus eBay final value fees on that amount plus AD Fees if the original sale was from an eBay AD. 🙄

Message 5 of 106
latest reply

With all the problems you have, Negatives and Neutrals you've left, you should consider buying your RETURN supplies in bulk, to save some money. Then you will have them in your possession.

Message 6 of 106
latest reply

That’s ridiculous. Don’t buy online then. 

Message 7 of 106
latest reply

@9ahau wrote:

When buyers receive  items not as described or defective, and need to return the item, very often they incurred additional cost to package the item before returning it. That's because, to open the package, one must destroy the onetime use packaging.

Very often destroying the packaging?  I receive a lot of deliveries, and I can't recall ever needing to "destroy" the packaging ... much less doing it very often.  We must open packages differently.

I hear your frustration with getting defective or not as described items, and in a perfect world I would agree that the seller would need to bear all the cost.  But the reality is that this is impossible.  Returning items costs the buyer ... time packaging back up, gas in the car to get it to the shipper, reordering hassles, etc ... and this is not only for on-line stuff, but brick and mortar stores.

Embrace the reality.

Message 8 of 106
latest reply

@9ahau wrote:

eBay must create the ability for buyers to upload receipt for packages when they need to return items either not as described or item is defective so sellers can reimburse buyers.

I have never had a return package that required more than piece of tape and a printed shipping label.

That aside ...

"eBay must" ??

ROTFL. There is absolutely no way eBay is going to do this, and I cannot think of a single website that would. And where would it it end? Pay for the buyer's printer ink and paper? Tape? Gas for his car? An hourly wage for his time? Reimbursement for counseling to deal with the disappointment?

Message 9 of 106
latest reply

Old timers here will remember the buyer who demanded the seller reimburse her for the fake fingernail she broke opening her package. She included a photo of the fingernail (which the seller posted here).

Best response was sending the buyer the medical bill for the hernia the seller got laughing at this.

“The most common way people give up their power is by thinking they don’t have any.”
— Alice Walker

#freedomtoread
#readbannedbooks
Message 10 of 106
latest reply

"eBay must create the ability for buyers to upload receipt for packages when they need to return items either not as described or item is defective so sellers can reimburse buyers."

Entitled much?

``````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````

“Never pick a fight with an ugly person. They don’t have anything to lose.” ~Robin Williams
Message 11 of 106
latest reply

I was in a greeting card store. A dude purchased a card, then inserted it into his back pocket. He went to his car and sat down, forgetting about the card. He then proceeded to come back to the store to exchange it for an undamaged card. Now that's entitled. 

Message 12 of 106
latest reply

iv had a few returns the last 2 weeks. 4 of them the buyers made a false claim of INAD or Item damaged for free returns when neither was true. have sent report to ebay but no answer on any... seems buyers handle it themselves pretty easily by lying.

Message 13 of 106
latest reply

This thread is about a buyer wanting to be reimbursed for packaging materials for a return.

Not about a seller getting returns. 

Message 14 of 106
latest reply

ya i get that... i was just using my example as iv never had a return where my package provided wasnt used so i cant relate... his point is useless to me but i was just saying buyers seem to find a way to abuse the system anyways.

Message 15 of 106
latest reply