cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Is this a scam or just a new buyer

So I just got a sale from a buyer that has 5 feedbacks but none that I can see because they are over a year old.

the buyer bought something around $70 and messaged me to read my feedback. Right then I thought something was off because if they knew to message me why would they already leave feedback.

So the feedback was positive and said I haven’t bought from here in a few years and I need you to ship to my current address. I told them I can only ship to the verified address that eBay has and I could either cancel the sale or they would have to change the address and have it verified by eBay. 
I have a 1 day handling time so they would have to do it immediately. 
She responded I changed my address so you can now send it to my current address. Well I double checked and the address has not been changed. So is this a scam or just an uninformed buyer?

Message 1 of 8
latest reply
7 REPLIES 7

Re: Is this a scam or just a new buyer

Cancel the sale and block. Sounds like maybe they hijacked a dormant account.

Message 2 of 8
latest reply

I vote "uninformed buyer."  At the time of payment, the address is permanently attached to the transaction so it's not possible for the buyer to change their shipping address after they pay. Even if they update their primary address on file with eBay, that won't affect a payment that has already been made.

If you ship to an alternate address that was just sent to you in a message, then you have no protection against a fake 'Item not received" claim.  Since it's a $70 item, I would not want to take a chance, so I'd cancel the transaction using the option for "problem with buyer's address."

Message 3 of 8
latest reply

Only way you can ship to different address is if you "cancel transaction using reason bad shipping address" and relist item "customer would then purchase item showing correct address".

Had to say if they are a scammer who "hijacked sold item" or the real person who purchase this item.   If you go to ORDERS, VIEW ORDER DETAILS (this will give you address & phone number) of person who paid for the order.   Have you tried to phone customer to find out if they want address changed?   That would tell you if person who contacted you about address change is the real customer.    If customer is real...tell them you have to cancel transaction and they must "repurchase item using correct address".

Message 4 of 8
latest reply

Doesn't matter which one it is.

Cancel and BBL.

Message 5 of 8
latest reply

I wouldn't BBL.  If he's a scammer, you probably won't hear from him again. And if it really is a confused buyer who just forgot to update his address, then I'd be willing to give him a chance to fix his address on file (which the buyer says they already did) and re-purchase.

Message 6 of 8
latest reply

@nobody*s_perfect wrote:

I wouldn't BBL.  If he's a scammer, you probably won't hear from him again. And if it really is a confused buyer who just forgot to update his address, then I'd be willing to give him a chance to fix his address on file (which the buyer says they already did) and re-purchase.

This time of year all the noobs and pinks come out of the woodwork. Dealing with them when you have an out is begging for trouble.

The last thing a seller wants is a buyer that doesn't understand how ebay works.

Mileage may vary.

Any other time of year I would do just as you say.

Message 7 of 8
latest reply

Well I canceled the order and before I had time to block them (I ran to a store that was having a huge sale lol) they repurchased with the correct address so maybe they were telling the truth.

Message 8 of 8
latest reply