cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Is it worth it to have a Ebay store?

I am thinking about having a Ebay store and I was wondering if it would really help my sales or not?

Message 1 of 7
latest reply
6 REPLIES 6

Having a store will not give you a search boost. I don't see you getting much benefit from a store unless you want to run sales.

You'd be better off making some basic changes like:

- Switch from auction format to fixed price format. Auction format is intended for highly desirable items, not common objects with a low price point.

- Change your photo background to something cleaner - get white poster board from the dollar store. Looks like you have many backgrounds, so try to be consistent. The background I suggest never using is the one seen in these listings: 144941104287 and 144940900220

- For increased sales, increase your number of listings - list on a regular basis - and list items in higher demand.

Message 2 of 7
latest reply

Indeed it can as customers can follow you're store and when you list things they can get notified.  You get more free listing's depending one what store size you subscribe to.

There is the ability to organize product by category as well some abilities to feature product within the store.  The storefronts are not as full-featured as most stand alone eCommerce storefront applications which is really a shame but depending on what a seller might sell they can be highly effective especially if you have a great deal of inventory to be navigated/organized.

Its far far more likely buyers will navigate a storefront vs attempting to look through eBay's standard format where there exists tremendous amounts of product you have to vend allowing them to better drill down to items of interest.  Additionally a storefront allows you to far far far more effectively use external forms of traffic delivery such as social media, forums, targeted advertising venues to bring traffic directly to you're product.   Yes, that requires more effort but much can be accomplished via automation via applications such as Wordpress on you're own domain whereby eBay extensions exist and a plethora of capabilities to put into you're own website.

For example if I were running a hobby shop and using eBay as a point of sale I could utilize a Wordpress website to do blogs, forums, social media, youTube and more to create an online presence creating a portal for like minded hobbyists.  Draw traffic from the web utilizing eBay as the point of sale for items/auctions. 

A sporting goods or sporting collectibles store would be another prime candidate for example.

I've made no attempts to really try maximize storefront usage as yet albeit I may at some point.  Most sellers do not take the effort and/or necessarily know how to make that happen but some do.

Message 3 of 7
latest reply

@jucar-843 

In short... not for you just now.

Message 4 of 7
latest reply

Having a store doesn’t help direct more buyers to see your items so no, it would not help your sales.  There are some benefits to having a  basic or higher store but it is unlikely to benefit you unless you have quite a few more listings.   I do agree with @wastingtime101  that having fixed price listings instead of auctions and listing more items would help your sales more than a store. 

Message 5 of 7
latest reply

This is sold advice I appreciate it, just joined eBay as a business and started selling recently, noted on the auction items vs buy it now format

Message 6 of 7
latest reply

Whether having an eBay store is worth it for shopping depends on your shopping habits and preferences. Here are some considerations to help you decide:

**Pros**:

1. **Variety**: eBay stores offer a wide range of products from various sellers. You can find both new and used items, rare collectibles, and unique products that might not be available elsewhere.

2. **Seller Credibility**: Established eBay stores often have a reputation for reliable and quality products. You can check seller ratings and reviews to gauge their trustworthiness.

3. **Customized Shopping Experience**: Some eBay stores have customized layouts and categories, making it easier to navigate and find products in specific niches.

4. **Deals and Discounts**: eBay store owners may offer exclusive deals, discounts, or bundles to attract and retain customers.

5. **Convenience**: Shopping on eBay is convenient, as you can browse and purchase items from the comfort of your home, and eBay's search and filter options help you find what you're looking for quickly.

**Cons**:

1. **Price Comparison**: While eBay can offer unique items, prices can vary widely. It's essential to compare prices to ensure you're getting a good deal.

2. **Shipping Costs**: Shipping costs may not always be transparent, and they can vary based on the seller's location and policies. Be sure to check shipping fees before making a purchase.

3. **Returns and Refunds**: eBay's return and refund policies can differ among sellers. It's crucial to understand the specific policies of the store you're buying from.

4. **Risk of Counterfeits**: Like with any online marketplace, there's a risk of encountering counterfeit or low-quality products. Research sellers and read reviews to mitigate this risk.

5. **Auction Format**: While many eBay listings are fixed-price, some still use an auction format. Participating in auctions can be competitive, and you may not always win the item at the price you want.

In summary, having an eBay store can be a worthwhile shopping experience if you enjoy the variety and convenience it offers. However, it's essential to be a savvy shopper, compare prices, and carefully review product listings and seller information. Whether it's worth it for you ultimately depends on your shopping preferences and the specific items you're looking for.

Message 7 of 7
latest reply