cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Is it time ebay closes it's doors

16 years ago it was all about ebay, it was the best thing since sliced bread, so easy to use list an item sell it job done, yes you would get the buyers that messed around and asked for a return but ebay was about the seller the ones that made their money. Up to 3 years ago I had over 100 listings for about a year but found that not only were ebay fleecing me with the postage cost and fees including PayPal fees that I had no choice but to use as part of their policies as a payment method, it was the returns that made me decide to end it. Being forced to refund buyers including return postage at a loss for items they bought, removed from packaging used for a day, broke and returned. So the item is now second hand at best broken at worse. Then there the website, wow clearly they have not heard of the saying if it's not broken don't try to fix it, well it's definitely broken now. 

I thought after 2 years I'd give them another chance and after a week trying to list an item,  basically I can't because apparently they don't have my payment details even though I've now entered my payment card details 3 times I now have 3 payments cards set up but still being asked for a payment method. This site is a joke and I can see it becoming nothing more then a brand name from history.  Whenever I'm trying to use ebay it's a headache. No thanks.

Message 1 of 27
latest reply
26 REPLIES 26

Re: Is it time ebay closes it's doors

You need to get yourself signed uo on Managed Payments if you plan on selling.

Registering as a seller

Updating your checking account details for payouts

Message 2 of 27
latest reply

Hi @2009.tony1 

You probably would do better asking your question on your home website:  http://www.ebay.co.uk

[You currently are posting on the eBay US site, which has somewhat different policies.]

Message 3 of 27
latest reply

With 2,000,000,000 (Billion) Transactions worth $80,000,000,000 (Billion); quite doubtful this site is going anywhere.

Like any publicly traded company, they have to 'improve' every quarter of every year. 

In such a competitive (now, and especially with Covid making people stay home so many learned to 'list items' on various 'other' platforms as well as here), there will be years when the numbers don't always make it.

Best Buy was dying to kill off Circuit City. They finally did it. Then they were in trouble because everyone just used them as a 'showroom' but buyers then bought off websites. 

Home Depot/Lowes are both hurting compared to other years; yet they are really the only 2 players around (remember Handyman? Oles? Contractors Warehouse? Grossmans? so many all gone...)

Sears lasted 100+ years

Kmart 60+ years

Mervyn's became Kohls (same type stuff, new name, new game so they stole their business) but now they are in trouble because they don't know what to buy and put in the stores.

I think this place will just evolve and keep on moving forward for many decades. 

Message 4 of 27
latest reply

"even though I've now entered my payment card details 3 times I now have 3 payments cards set up but still being asked for a payment method."

I am assuming you have provided all your banking info,   so everything can be verified by eBay?

For many countries, PayPal as a payment processor for sellers is G-O-N-E!  I believe ALL U.K. sellers must provide eBay with banking information.

so really this isn't about eBay being the "joke", this seems to be more about you not providing eBay with the required banking information.

Message 5 of 27
latest reply

It is a little more complicated but it still works. Some things have changed. I am still learning stuff on my iphone of 2 years...3rd generation iphone by the way. You can ask questions here and get help.

Per the law, (not eBay law),  eBay needs a social security number on file and you have to list a banking institution to eBay to get pay. Its that simple.

Message 6 of 27
latest reply

I don't know what eBaydotUK wants as identification, but we Canadians were asked for our Social Insurance Number, which was not a legal requirement and caused a bit of a stink, but I used my passport and DH used his driving license.

Avoid the micro-payments. There seems to be a problem possibly related to currency exchange.

Message 7 of 27
latest reply

People have been saying that for 16 years now. The only ones closing doors is the ones who cannot keep up with the times.

Message 8 of 27
latest reply

@mrdutch1001 wrote:

"even though I've now entered my payment card details 3 times I now have 3 payments cards set up but still being asked for a payment method."

I am assuming you have provided all your banking info,   so everything can be verified by eBay?

For many countries, PayPal as a payment processor for sellers is G-O-N-E!  I believe ALL U.K. sellers must provide eBay with banking information.

Many countries also never used PayPal to begin with.

Message 9 of 27
latest reply

It's not the number of transactions or the dollar amount that keeps publically traded companies going. It's their ability to maximize the returns for their shareholders and nothing else. At the moment eBay is struggling with this for a number of reasons. Their net profit and net profit margin are both down year over year for the first quarter of 2022 and I suspect the second quarter 2022 report is going to look rather dismal.  The $80 billion is an estimated annual GMV and means little if they are not making a sufficient profit to appease their shareholders. 

As for Lowes and Home Depot the construction boom may have slowed a bit but Lowes despite reduced revenues Y/Y has managed to increase both net income and net profit margin Y/Y based on their last two quarterly reports. Hone Depot has seen increase revenues Y/Y and increased net profits Y/Y based on their first quarter 2022 report although their net profit margin has dropped a bit. I worry little about either HD and/or Lowes continuing to be successful they appear to have the leadership and financial analysis in place to quickly adapt to a VERY dynamic market. I am not so sure eBay has the same capability. 

Message 10 of 27
latest reply

Don't  know if they  have checking accounts  in the UK.  The need to  go by what ever eBay uk policies are.

"I have the right to remain silent but I didn't have the ability." Ron White, Fritch, Texas
"Stay away from negative people, they have a problem for every solution." A. Einstein
The Devil made me do it! - Flip Wilson
If the band can only play loud - they ain't no good - peps too J.R. Johnson
Message 11 of 27
latest reply

why would ebay close their doors when they are making millions?

Might be time for some sellers to close up their shops but for ebay themselves that would be nuts. 

Message 12 of 27
latest reply

Myspace is still around, do you still use it.

Message 13 of 27
latest reply

And Myspace is still online.

Message 14 of 27
latest reply

eBay is doing just fine. 

Good Moms let you lick the Beaters.

Great Moms turn them off first.
Message 15 of 27
latest reply