cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Is it possible to make a non-public or private listing through eBay?

Like if a seller wants to list something for sale, so that only a specific buyer can have the opportunity to see the page / make the purchase, instead of just anyone on eBay. As in, the only way for someone to see it is to share URL to the listing, and it does NOT show up in general search of it's title? Is that possible?

Message 1 of 14
latest reply
13 REPLIES 13

if you are worried another buyer might scoop a buy  it now make it an auction. thats what I do

suppose I told an ebayer I woud sell for 500.then you make an auction for 500 and when they bid you just sell it to them for 500.if someone else bids you cancel there bid after  the correct buyer bids on the item

with an auction you can control the winner

that cant be done with a buy it now.  auctions can be sold in 2 minutes when you end them with the bidder as the winner

@warmsignal21 

Germantown proud Germantown strong
up the whiskey hickon
moving right along
Message 2 of 14
latest reply

There is no way to hide a listing from the public.  When I list a private pre-arranged sale I list it at an exorbitant price allowing best offers and then tell the buyer to send me an offer at the agreed upon price.  Works every time.

Message 3 of 14
latest reply

If you have already agreed on a price, make it a Buy It Now Listing with a very high price and accept offers.  Have the buyer offer the agreed upon price and accept that price.  They can then pay and the transaction goes through.  By putting a high price initially, other buyers will not buy it before your buyer can submit an offer.

Message 4 of 14
latest reply

@1tuna wrote:

if you are worried another buyer might scoop a buy  it now make it an auction. thats what I do

suppose I told an ebayer I woud sell for 500.then you make an auction for 500 and when they bid you just sell it to them for 500.if someone else bids you cancel there bid after  the correct buyer bids on the item

with an auction you can control the winner

that cant be done with a buy it now.  auctions can be sold in 2 minutes when you end them with the bidder as the winner

@warmsignal21 

If you do this, be warned that if your intended buyer does not bid, you will need to either (a) sell to the winning bidder; or (b) cancel the high bid and pay fees as if it was a $500 sale.

I list my item and tell the buyer to be quick about it or he will lose it to someone else.

When you give the buyer the advantage of exclusivity, he can use that as a bargaining chip with other sellers and leave you high and dry.

IMHO when you are doing the buyer a favor, you should always give the buyer an incentive to buy the item ASAP.

Message 5 of 14
latest reply

@luckythewinner wrote: ...  if your intended buyer does not bid, you will need to either (a) sell to the winning bidder; or (b) cancel the high bid and pay fees as if it was a $500 sale....

Canceling bids doesn't incur a fee; cancelling a Sold transaction does.  The seller could cancel a bid from an unwanted bidder at any time before the auction ends, with no penalty.

If the intended buyer never places a bid, then I suppose the seller would be glad to get a bid from somebody else, and sell to them instead.  This potentially complicated scenario is one reason that the alternate strategy (fixed price, high asking price, immediate payment required, best offer) is better.

Message 6 of 14
latest reply

Canceling bids doesn't incur a fee; cancelling a Sold transaction does.  The seller could cancel a bid from an unwanted bidder at any time before the auction ends, with no penalty.

You are correct - the fee I was referring to happens if you end the auction early instead of letting it play out. But by doing so the OP would still risk someone sniping and winning.

If the intended buyer never places a bid, then I suppose the seller would be glad to get a bid from somebody else, and sell to them instead.

Exactly!

Trying to pick your buyer just limits your sales opportunities.

More reason to list as fixed price and let the first person who finds it get it.

Message 7 of 14
latest reply

Are you the seller or buyer??

Why are you asking this??

Message 8 of 14
latest reply

Best way would be to list at a buy it know price way way above what was offered: and then have the buyer make an offer of amount agreed upon. Accept said offer and deal is done.

Note: the buyers Id is hidden from all but the seller anyway...

Message 9 of 14
latest reply

Departures are announced at the airport, not here.  And just as many people there will actually care that you are leaving as here.  But hey, hope your rant made you feel better.  Best of luck.

Message 10 of 14
latest reply

@jameshen1 wrote:

Departures are announced at the airport, not here.  And just as many people there will actually care that you are leaving as here.  But hey, hope your rant made you feel better.  Best of luck.

I am thinking you posted this on the wrong topic???

Message 11 of 14
latest reply

I just change the title to the customer's eBay ID.

Nobody is likely to find it. I might also make changes in shipping cost etc. at that time.

Then I give a 48 hour deadline.

If it's not purchased by then, the listing reverts to the original title and pricing and the customer goes on the BBL as a timewaster.

Message 12 of 14
latest reply

eBay used to allow offers sent through email to interested buyers, but I think they removed that feature.  It used to show up on the first email you get from someone asking a question.  Now, the only way I know is if you get an email from the potential buyer and agree on the price and then tell them it will be a BIN at the agreed price shortly and then have them go the item and use the BIN immediately before someone else buys it.   I wish eBay would allow the send offer through email feature again.  

Message 13 of 14
latest reply

My first question would be why you want to do this? Did you have an item listed that did not sell or something you had listed and the buyer contacted you and made an offer that you are willing to accept? I get these type of requests on occasion and I don't use fixed price that much and I don't have OBO enabled. There are also occasions where a buyer wants a customized bundle. There is no way to create a private listing for one individual so that nobody else can see it. 

I simple end the current auctions provided there are no bids and there is more than 24 hours left on the auction. There are no fees for doing so. I will then create a customized listing using BIN and immediate payment required and when the buyer tells me they are ready I will post the customized bundle and provide them with the item number. There is a small risk that another buyer may see the listing and purchase it but the eBay search engine is so bad the odds of that happening are slim. 

donsdetour also provided an alternative method. 

Message 14 of 14
latest reply