cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Is it even worth trying to continue here?

So I’m a new seller. I put up close to 40 auctions my first go around. My mistake was I scheduled most of them and did so have g them all close with in like a 2 day period.

I sell higher end glass pieces primarily so packing in the correct box size and protective wrapping is paramount. I ran out of supplies which caused a day delay to the process of getting everything out. But all in all I had 7 orders that went over the 3 days before over due. 4 went out the day they hit over due. And the remaining 3 were customers either asking me to ship at a later day because they wouldn’t be home. Or a buyer out of Australia mistaking the global shipping program with the eBay’s international shipping. That customer is a seller with like 100,000 orders u see her belt. I was taking my direction from her trying to find how to ship this large package she said I could but could find it. Finally I figured out she was mistaken the services. We decided to cancel the order and I’d relist it for her to buy after signing up for global shipping.  

also as of now the other two delayed request have been shipped out as per the customers request. 

but I get restricted by eBay. First I just provide tracking, done. 
then they all must show proof delivery, done. 

mind you now I’ve been waiting 5 days to get paid, it’s the first of the month. I just sold almost 3k worth of glass. 

the day all the deliveries show delivered. Instead of sticking to their word. I get more nonsense. 

show proof of ID, they want cards and paperwork. Then to make it even more ridiculous. I need to show receipts for all the items I sold? I mean I can I have them but why on earth would they need this? They believe it make believe glass? Doesn’t the zero complaints and the positives reviews tell the true story here? 

what’s next, are they going to ask me to send them my birth certificate, then potentially a permission slip from my wife showing her approval of selling glass on eBay?

Seema eBay frankly doesn’t want sellers here? Or at least me. And I got to say whatnot and other marketplaces sure as heck roll out the red carpet treatment to new Sellers. Acting and showing they are thrilled for us to be there.

is there a point in continuing to play the game of provide and then wait for more waiting?

Irritated that eBay treats themselves like customers and everyone else like the problem with in their business operation.

Message 1 of 24
latest reply
23 REPLIES 23

New sellers usually need to wait 30 days after delivery to get funds released... from what I understand, Ebay informs this up front

If you aren't meeting your handling time date to get things sent out, Ebay looks at that as well

The more you sell and meet expectations, then Ebay will see you are invested and reliable and will then release funds faster. It was the same way with PayPal, as well

Message 2 of 24
latest reply

So I’m a new seller. I put up close to 40 auctions my first go around. My mistake was I scheduled most of them and did so have g them all close with in like a 2 day period.

I sell higher end glass pieces primarily so packing in the correct box size and protective wrapping is paramount. I ran out of supplies which caused a day delay to the process of getting everything out. But all in all I had 7 orders that went over the 3 days before over due. 4 went out the day they hit over due. And the remaining 3 were customers either asking me to ship at a later day because they wouldn’t be home. Or a buyer out of Australia mistaking the global shipping program with the eBay’s international shipping. That customer is a seller with like 100,000 orders u see her belt. I was taking my direction from her trying to find how to ship this large package she said I could but could find it. Finally I figured out she was mistaken the services. We decided to cancel the order and I’d relist it for her to buy after signing up for global shipping.  

EBay focuses on your seller metrics not your feedback when they do seller level evaluations. While your feedback may look good so few buyers leave feedback these days it's of little value. Look at your metrics in your dashboard. All of these should be 0 other than the tracking uploaded on time which should be 100%. 

dbfolks166mt_0-1712582355244.png

also as of now the other two delayed request have been shipped out as per the customers request. 

but I get restricted by eBay. First I just provide tracking, done. 
then they all must show proof delivery, done. 

At least you are just restricted and not suspended. 

mind you now I’ve been waiting 5 days to get paid, it’s the first of the month. I just sold almost 3k worth of glass. 

the day all the deliveries show delivered. Instead of sticking to their word. I get more nonsense. 

The payment holds are one of the worst potential issues a seller must face. How eBay figures out which payments to put on hold and for how long doesn't appear to be consistently applied other than when an account is under review. Make no mistake the ONLY reason eBay has this policy in place is to cover their own posterior regardless of what they claim. They also earn interest on your held funds which they keep. 

show proof of ID, they want cards and paperwork. Then to make it even more ridiculous. I need to show receipts for all the items I sold? I mean I can I have them but why on earth would they need this? They believe it make believe glass? Doesn’t the zero complaints and the positives reviews tell the true story here? 

The request for receipts is an attempt to cut down on the stolen merchandise that sells through eBay although I am not sure, since you make your items, how eBay would even think you are maybe stealing the sand or other materials you use in the production process. 

what’s next, are they going to ask me to send them my birth certificate, then potentially a permission slip from my wife showing her approval of selling glass on eBay?

Actually the next request will probably be for fingerprints and a blood sample for DNA analysis. 😁

Seema eBay frankly doesn’t want sellers here? Or at least me. And I got to say whatnot and other marketplaces sure as heck roll out the red carpet treatment to new Sellers. Acting and showing they are thrilled for us to be there.

Because of the policies and processes with eBay I diversified across multiple platforms and venues LONG ago and now eBay accounts for less than 20% of my sales and that number continues to dwindle. 

is there a point in continuing to play the game of provide and then wait for more waiting?

It is still a viable platform but there are other options. You can continue to play along with eBay but if you find the requirement are simply not worth it then I would quit selling on this platform. There are also other options as a buyer and like my sales my purchases off eBay have dropped to almost 0 other than some items I cannot find elsewhere. 

Irritated that eBay treats themselves like customers and everyone else like the problem with in their business operation.

Message 3 of 24
latest reply

As a new Seller you started off on the wrong foot.   With 3 late shipments and 3 delayed shipments (per customer request) and 1 cancellation (per customer request).   EBAY does NOT allow you to "delay shipment" to please customer (so you have a total of 6 late shipments).

EBAY judges Sellers by their performance and if you are "below standard" EBAY will charge you 5% additional fees. 

It is not a good sign that EBAY is asking for "proof of purchase" where you got your merchandise.   If you cannot provide that information....EBAY will terminate your account and hold your money.   Your money will be send to your state "unclaimed funds" and you can retrieve it after 6 months.

Message 4 of 24
latest reply

Sounds like you jumped in with both feet and landed on another body part......and now blame ebay....

Question now become whether you are willing to expend the effort to try to learn enough to make a success and yes, you will have to jump thru their hoops and hope they extend you more time to learn......  Selling 3K on a first effort is darned good so the opportunity is there, but it's your choice.........

Message 5 of 24
latest reply

Oh no, I didn’t know there was a delicate word play that had such a dire different meaning. I’ll look restricted or suspended here in a sec.

as for my seller metrics. It says good.

and I was wrong only 3 were late shipments 

Your seller level

If we evaluated you today

Your seller level would beAbove Standard
Next evaluation on Apr 20, 2024

Transaction defect rate

0.00%0 of 39 transactions

Late shipment rate

0.00%0 of 36 transactions

Cases closed without seller resolution

0.00%0 of 39 transactions

Tracking uploaded on time and validated

92.31%36 of 39 transactions

Transactions and sales

39transactions$2,476.82sales
See monthly breakdownSee monthly breakdown

Return rate

5.13%2 of 39 transactions
Select by category, condition or purchase price to learn more about returns
Showing your returns by:
CategoryConditionPurchase price
Category Quantity %CollectiblesPottery & GlassOther categories
1 of 812.50%
1 of 283.57%
0 of 30.00%
Transaction period: Apr 01, 2023 - Mar 31, 2024

says two returns but I’ve had none. Customers selected return and then closed the returns themselsves after talking with me. 

I didn’t know I shouldn’t hold back shipping items at customers request. Wow stuff like that that make me feel like I know nothing.  Thank you for that. I would have continued doing that wrong.

Message 6 of 24
latest reply

my problem isn’t whether I’m willing to learn. It’s really two fold. Do they intent on even teaching me. I’ve heard nothing regarding why they have a problem. I’ve got beliefs and this community. If that’s the sole means of teaching and helping  that’s garbage. 

The only factor is ability. How many more hoops do they have planned that I must jump through in order to get paid. I can. Or continue to go extended periods where as it’s anybody’s guess when I will receive payment. That’s not a position I even have a say in. I simply need structure with my payments. Like every other marketplace.

Message 7 of 24
latest reply

You did not get nonsense. You got a very valid response from eBay when faced with a seller who was repeatedly unprepared and failed to meet his obligations.

eBay policy permits them to assess risk and hit "pause" on paying money out to unreliable sellers.

That is entirely up to you. Hopefully instead of showing contempt for eBay, you will reflect on how your unreliable selling affects the reputation of eBay and thus EVERYONE who sells here, not just you.

Message 8 of 24
latest reply

I have receipts for every purchase I’ve made. Bit they are so specific in there wording that concerns me. Says they have to have their name, my name, the amount ……, most of which are standards things. But receipts don’t typically have customers name. I hope they bend slightly on their listing a requirements.

Message 9 of 24
latest reply

Have you actually read the posting here. 

3 late deliveries. 

2 were requested of me. I now kbow that to be not the correct path going forward. 

the other had to do it it’s a confused 10 year seller/buyer. 

hardly unreliable deserving of being dragged through the mud. Or maybe I’m wrong. And that serves my point exactly. If this causes eBay to consider me unreliable and risky. They obviously don’t want me. I worked my ass to get it all out. I messaged every buyer, potential or otherwise discussing my items. Discussing how I package and ship and making sure it lives up to there concern. 

the assessment that I’ve somehow dishonored myself here is almost enough to say whatever . Yea I’ll go some  where else.

Message 10 of 24
latest reply

Why is there no discussion of things like this. Or a one stop listing of rules sellers  should have and know?

Also when someone makes a mistake. Why is there no means to constructively discuss it openly so they can clearly understand and move forward with confidence? 

At this point I’m not being critical of the lack or any of this. As I feel I must be missing something. Likely there’s a place exactly what I’ve missed?  Or some reason for the the elusive nature of it. 

Message 11 of 24
latest reply

All of the things you are experiencing are typical, 

new sellers will have to show their ID, especially when they are making $3k in sales

eBay likes transactions that go smoothly, by shipping late that is a red flag

Now you know, I'd just keep asking to get my account back reinstated and then make sure you have enough packing material on hand and adjust your shipping time to meet your obligations

eBay is not a good platform to change the terms of the sale after the sale, you have to provide a shipping deadline yourself and then meet that deadline every time.

Message 12 of 24
latest reply

Payment holds of 30 days are common for new sellers on most Internet marketplaces and even with PayPal.

Policy/performance violations while you payments are held trigger trust and safety reviews. One trust and safety review often triggers others.

Sellers who show success with their early sales often find a cascade of trust and safety issues to be resolved by following the instructions in the emails.

Sellers are not told all of the things that can go wrong in one place, but all of the requirements to deal with trust and safety are included in the seller help pages, and no one reads all of those.

Message 13 of 24
latest reply

Given how much you sold here first go round, I'd say it was worth it. Yes, eBay is over-complicated, but I'd advise clearing up these issues one at a time to reclaim your account, spacing out your auctions and having your packing materials ready and then continuing onward. Ask here for any questions. Jumping in as quickly as you did is what caused problems. I'm actually surprised eBay let you list this much stuff - usually they're restrictive with new sellers (maybe because it was auctions?).

These requests for receipts, payment holds and the like are due to eBay struggling with counterfeits, stolen merchandise, hijacked accounts, etc. It's a huge problem internet-wide, so because of this, all the honest people have to jump through the hoops.

“The most common way people give up their power is by thinking they don’t have any.”
— Alice Walker

#freedomtoread
#readbannedbooks
Message 14 of 24
latest reply

I do some tracking for my orders.

I sometimes mark shipped...and then enter tracking later.

And I don't do next day shipping as listed on items as such...but I am pretty good at getting items the next day even though it is not required.

So my question to others here...can a seller mark item shipped and then enter tracking later in a day or so? And using USPS...not eBay shipping labels? Curious...

I understand it's probably impossible when doing eBay shipping labels.

As sometimes tracking does always show up as being scanned by USPS.

Message 15 of 24
latest reply