cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Is ebay still dead in 2024

Yes. Although certain answers on google ..... will say otherwise. Facebook marketplace is still the number one platform,aside from selling locally. Now if your just selling Chinese knockoffs ,then ebay may still be an ok place to sell. But for an individual,part time seller, or hustler, its the absolute worst. ebays numbers have ONLY went down consistently for around 5 years now,maybe longer. But I'm sure that if you're searching this,it's because you've noticed your 0 views and 0 sales, right? Personally I barely list anything on the platform anymore,there's really no use. Especially when ebay is not even close to being the #1 selling platform. Things like Etsy and Facebook marketplace are killing it,where as ebay.... Is being killed. But it's mostly the fault of the people who run ebay,not yours. Although people will tell you that's it's my fault,or you're fault,it's clearly not. Nobody likes ebay anymore,and ebay doesn't like you. Items that sold in the hundreds daily,will never get views or sales,especially if you don't use promoted listings. But they sell locally and on other platforms constantly. My listed video game console gets 4 views in a month on ebay,while it gets sold immediately in person. Daily. But years ago on ebay,it would also sell immediately. People don't suddenly dislike video games,or retro games,or consoles. My pictures aren't suddenly horrible,and my pricing is still spot on. So how is this even happening? Because ebay is a dead platform.You're better off having a yard sale or getting  a booth at a local vendor mall. That's how I've been mainly selling for the last year and its great. Not everyone has that luxury though. But yes ,don't worry,ebay is still dying it's slow death. It's going down with disney ,AAA gaming, "mainstream" news, streaming services. All things that you probably think are making millions right? Wrong,some of them are infact losing billions.(Not all companies or games are this bad,I understand) Yes,these companies and platforms are not successful. Meaning no,they do not make money. This includes ebay. Thats not to say that money isn't coming in to these companies,it's to say that they are bleeding more than they have,struggling to stay above a yearly loss or worse numbers than the year before(consistently),and failing miserably. Even twitch,the largest video/gaming platform where some of their users make millions each years. They are losing money,even though video games are a 150 billion dollar industry. Disney lost billions last year,and the year before,and the year before...Numbers have tanked,and are still consistently tanking here at ebay. Woke is broke,dinosaurs are out of touch, and scammy practices are being out more often and more swiftly today. Nobody is falling for the **bleep** anymore and people are smarter than these ceos think. Google lies about these things,news outlets regurgitate the same garbage, and ebay trolls will be here to tell you otherwise.  

Message 1 of 92
latest reply
91 REPLIES 91

Paragraphs are your friend. 

Message 2 of 92
latest reply

I have trouble GIVING things away on Facebook marketplace. It is literally the worst platform, it has the worst customers and is the absolute hardest thing to manage I have ever seen.

Message 3 of 92
latest reply

Thank you for your opinion. 

Message 4 of 92
latest reply

Seems like it all depends on what you are selling.  For instance, the clothing category, especially women's, is beyond saturated.

However, antiques  and even just vintage appear to be doing fairly well if the seller prices reasonably and knows what it's worth.  These are more likely to be one-of-a-kind instead of items you can find at the dollar store or on Temu.  

Message 5 of 92
latest reply

I really wish more people had paid attention in their basic english composition class.

Message 6 of 92
latest reply

Wow.  You seem very dissatisfied with eBay.  Yet you still have nine (9) items listed, that you are trying to sell here.  
Many of them I would consider "tchotchkes", household decorative things that are not really necessities, and I would not pay what you are asking for any of them.  

Are you really sure that your "pricing is still spot on"?  
For example, I did a brief search for other recent sales of that M*A*S*H Klinger action figure.  The highest sold priced one went for about half of what you are asking.   

Message 7 of 92
latest reply

I must have misread when I saw our sales this weekend if eBay is dead.

Message 8 of 92
latest reply

It's not dead for me, nor for many others.  You've just got to have what people want to buy. I sell mostly vintage, where there aren't already 500 of something listed, and I only have slower sales when I have slacked off for one reason or another and haven't done any new listings. I get out of it, what I put into it. It's hard work to run a business. Casual sellers selling their cast-off clothes or dollar store merchandise are NEVER going to sell well.

Message 9 of 92
latest reply

OK, whatever.

Disney lost billions last year,and the year before,and the year before

"In 2023, the Walt Disney Company generated a total revenue of nearly 32.6 billion U.S. dollars with its parks, and experiences, an increase of around 16 percent from the year before." - Statista

🙄

When you dine with leopards, it is wise to check the menu lest you find yourself as the main course.

#freedomtoread
#readbannedbooks
Message 10 of 92
latest reply

I see 6 items listed. All at $100 or above. Some with lots of competition, others with limited demand.

I would not expect a steady stream of sales, or quick sales.

Some of the items you have ended without a sale are items which used to be in demand and no longer in demand, The price is probably not the issue, the issue is very few people want it.

I have some more desirable pieces of Roseville, for example, which are not worth the effort of listing. The heydey of high priced Roseville has passed. Unlike the past, even the most highest grade of some products is now unsaleable. But even the rarest and most valuable pieces of Roseville in the past were lower middle class or lower class products, mass produced in large numbers. Prices realized are off in most venues and marketplaces.

Message 11 of 92
latest reply

I think sourcing good items is the hardest part these days.

Message 12 of 92
latest reply

@onefootflippers wrote:

I have trouble GIVING things away on Facebook marketplace. It is literally the worst platform, it has the worst customers and is the absolute hardest thing to manage I have ever seen.

I find that to be true for just listing things to be picked up locally.  List something worth $400 for $200 and you'll get $30 offers. 
I've not tried to listings you have to pay for / ship yet.   Seems like most people think those are scams, or so I've heard.

Message 13 of 92
latest reply

@monroe67 wrote:

Wow.  You seem very dissatisfied with eBay.  Yet you still have nine (9) items listed, that you are trying to sell here.  
Many of them I would consider "tchotchkes", household decorative things that are not really necessities, and I would not pay what you are asking for any of them.  

Are you really sure that your "pricing is still spot on"?  
For example, I did a brief search for other recent sales of that M*A*S*H Klinger action figure.  The highest sold priced one went for about half of what you are asking.   

The number one overwhelming reason why people fail on ebay is price guessing or thinking that they can somehow, someway sell their identical item for more than the competition. It is totally irrational but the majority of ebay users operate this way.

Message 14 of 92
latest reply

@onefootflippers wrote:

The number one overwhelming reason why people fail on ebay is price guessing or thinking that they can somehow, someway sell their identical item for more than the competition. It is totally irrational but the majority of ebay users operate this way.

But you can sell the identical item for more than some of the competition.

A price which is too low triggers warnings to some very knowledgeable buyers that a scam is likely.

Obviously, determining what is too low, requires more expertise than many sellers have.

Sometimes, I am the lowest priced offer, sometimes I am the highest priced offer. The time it takes to sell any specific item does not matter to me. All I care about is meeting my profit goal each month.

Obviously, I do not think much of the items I am the lowest price offer on, unless my offer is the only offer.

And many of my items are the only offers for that item. If someone wants it, they will either buy it from me or not find another.

A common antique dealer's pitch has been "where are you going to find another?" And I can honestly say that much of the time.

IMO it is easier to succeed on Ebay if you have a large quantity of items which have no direct competition, and have a low investment in. In many parts of the US, that is impossible.

Message 15 of 92
latest reply