cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

International shipping

I am very upset.  I sold two items then got a notice I was automatically enrolled in International shipping.  I am a senior with mobility issues only want to ship to US.  I called in and I have been on EBay since 1999 and they couldn’t remove this option.  I only have an iPhone.  Why would they do this without consent.  Please help me I don’t know who to contact to get this option they put on removed.  Thank you.

Message 1 of 28
latest reply
27 REPLIES 27

Re: International shipping

Thank you with the link you sent me I was able to go directly to international shipping.  Really appreciate your time and help

Message 16 of 28
latest reply

There is no reason to not use this. 

If you are waiting for payouts it is because you haven't sold much recently. And as far as that is concerned it is still only waiting for delivery to the ebay hub, not to the final destination. 

Message 17 of 28
latest reply

@res17zzy60j4 wrote:

shipping worldwide I realize increases sales but you have to wait till item is received to get payout. 

Who pays for the additional shipping charges? To ship worldwide?

@res17zzy60j4 Payout is same exact schedule as domestic sales. Your responsibility ends when the package is delivered to the hub in the US. So if delayed payouts are your reason for not wanting to ship with eIS then you're working off of wrong information.

Buyer pays additional shipping charges direct to eBay and eBay uses those funds for international shipping. There is no fee increase on your end as the seller. It's basically the same as any shipment to the US except you have more protections than you would with a domestic shipment.

Message 18 of 28
latest reply

One of my issues with the eBay IS system is that best I can tell if you turn it on EVERYTHING you list is included which means we would have to essentially pack everything when it is listed and have an exact weight and package dimensions.  And, we have a lot of breakable things that are hard enough to get to survive the gorillas handling things domestically let alone make it a few thousand additional miles.  You say "no returns, no refunds" but to me it just does not seem likely that eBay will just eat it if something breaks.  They just aren't that "helpful".  Does eBay open and repack things?

My other issue is the cost to the buyer.  I have a buyer in the UK who wants a pair of special jeans that I have listed with a Flat shipping rate to all of the continental US.  If I put it into the shipping calculator FedEx would be over $120 and the USPS about $27 for "First Class Mail International".  What would a buyer pay? Suppose I was off on the weight and instead of 2 pounds  it was more?  Or what if I use a flat rate box and they wouldn't have a weight until they got it in Illinois?  It could be up to 70 pounds but I wouldn't need to put any weight in when I list or ship it. 

2/3 of our items are under $10.  I just can't see it being worth the potential hassle, but I suppose I could opt in long enough to sell that one item then opt back out.

Message 19 of 28
latest reply

eIS is not optimal for everyone.  Yup, low cost item would not be a good eIS sell.

Message 20 of 28
latest reply

@cyranojones wrote:

I have a buyer in the UK who wants a pair of special jeans that I have listed with a Flat shipping rate to all of the continental US.  If I put it into the shipping calculator FedEx would be over $120 and the USPS about $27 for "First Class Mail International".  What would a buyer pay?

The buyer would pay your flat shipping rate within the US plus whatever eBay International Shipping charges for getting them item from the Illinois shipping hub to its destination in the UK.  eIS's charges tend to be pretty competitive with USPS charges as long as the eIS "bot" knows the item's shipping dimensions and weight.

@cyranojones wrote:

Suppose I was off on the weight and instead of 2 pounds  it was more?

Good question.  I checked a few older threads on this and they were unhelpful.  Those responding didn't seem to understand that there's a second shipping charge involved when using eIS and the seller technically doesn't see that charge, only the buyer.

@cyranojones wrote:

Or what if I use a flat rate box and they wouldn't have a weight until they got it in Illinois?  It could be up to 70 pounds but I wouldn't need to put any weight in when I list or ship it. 

I believe the terms and conditions for sellers using eIS state that the seller has to provide information on the item's shipping dimensions and weights when listing the item.  Those who don't do so at their peril as it really messes up the eIS "bot's" calculation of the shipping charges from the US shipping hub to the item's destination.  There was a thread a while back on the eBay Canada discussion boards from a buyer outraged by all these listings for small electronic doodads with shipping charges approaching $100.  It appeared that the "bot" had no shipping dimensions/weight to work with for these listings so it had to resort to estimating the shipping cost based on the category where items can be extremely heavy.

Message 21 of 28
latest reply

I see comments in other threads that turning EIS on can take days to implement and they modify listings in ways that creates a tremendous amount of grief if you turn it off again.   I can foresee a problem with a number of listings with flat rate shipping where I didn't show a weight or dimensions, such as DVDs where I know they will cost me $3.92 to send.  Certainly not worth it for a $20 sale.

Message 22 of 28
latest reply

dryophelia

Hello sorry to get into this comment, I was searching help with the international shipping. Due to I do want to ship internationally and I know I enrolled but I don’t understand the part where I can choose where to send to, like you mentioned in this comment, could you please explain to me , 

I will really appreciate it 

Message 23 of 28
latest reply

When I read eBay's fine print on this, they don't actually cover everything.  You still have to have a license to export certain items, so they aren't covering that.

They aren’t covering the Proof of Filing Citation (PFC) that is required to be filed with U.S. Census Bureau for items over $2,500 or those requiring an export license.

They aren't covering the issues of Extended Producer Responsibility (EPR) for Sellers, which requires certain forms to prove your packaging and product complies with various recycling provisions.  (look up the eBay articles on it and also note that eBay says they don't actually replace the shipping materials you use to send to the hub.) 

Message 24 of 28
latest reply

I have an item that a potential international buyer says the listing says it will not ship to the United Kingdom.

Your reply says that the seller needs to choose what countries they will ship to.  I only see the ability to EXCLUDE countries to ship to in Shipping Preferences.

Where does a seller choose countries to ship to?

Message 25 of 28
latest reply

@keea05 

The UK has very strict import laws and there are many items that will not pass customs inspection. 
Using eIS, these items are flagged as such and shipping is not considered for those locations. 

No one asked, but I am looking forward to the day when having feedback default sorted by relevance seems right.
Message 26 of 28
latest reply

You ship to anywhere you have not excluded, there's not a setting to include specific countries.  That said, as @dryophelia  said, many items are restricted to the UK, properly or not, and there's really nothing you can do within the eIS program.  You can try adding direct international shipping, but if eBay was right that it's not allowed, you risk it being taken by customs and running into a big mess.  We won't ship internationally any other way than the eIS, and if an item doesn't ship to the UK or some other country through that, we just tell the customer sorry, we can't do that.

Message 27 of 28
latest reply

Hi everyone,

Due to the age of this thread, it has been closed to further replies. Please feel free to start a new thread if you wish to continue to discuss this topic.

Thank you for understanding.

Message 28 of 28
latest reply