cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Insulted! So they offer 50,000 additional listings for store subscribers because of Covid-19? Plea!

And so I want to ask eBay what are they are willing to offer SMALL store sellers who are unable to list up to 50,000 items and whose only income depends on their own eBay sales for their food, mortgage/rent, utilities, gasoline, insurances, medications, family support, in sundries, and such? Esp in the face of Covid-19? And we who have previously and successively always relied on eBay for these? Not to mention having been eBay's bread and butter for their most formidable years? Only a 3 month deferment in seller fees? And with plummeting sales how could we EVER make those deferred payments in addition to our regular monthly payments to this giant? My seller dashboard shows that eBay's sales are UP 10% in the prior 30 days (pffft) ...however it also shows that MY sales as being 30-50% lower within the same time frame!!! I've put almost all of my store on 30-50% off for the last 30 days and most of my "now petty sales" in which I am losing money selling at prices well below value and cost are contributed to "social distancing/work from home buyers" who shop eBay because they are now bored. I've been a seller here since 2005. I'm dedicated and loyal, I've adapted to the many changes that our selling platform has required of us, and I'm still here (albeit only barely and still hopeful and still hanging on in the last couple of years). I read the seller updates weekly. I'm appalled at the lack of attention eBay turns it's attention to the AMERICAN small sellers in which I am ABSOLUTELY POSITIVE are the backbone of the eBay platform! Nothing new...remember I'm a veteran seller. As far as I can search and see, eBay still caters favorably to Chinese Interests. Also Foreign Suppliers, and Big Box Retailers offering goods made/created/imported from countries outside of the USA. I'm ranting, that's because I'm angry. Ebay ARE YOU WITH US SMALL USA SELLERS OR NOT BECAUSE I'M NOT SURE YET THAT YOU ARE. IF YOU ARE THEN PLEASE HELP US BECAUSE WE DEPEND ON YOU! Really kindest regards, Danielle (Bella3Boutique) *I've also posted this on the Power Seller Board*
Message 1 of 70
latest reply
69 REPLIES 69

Re: Insulted! So they offer 50,000 additional listings for store subscribers because of Covid-19? Pl

Don't sell stuff at a loss?

Despite any personal resentment I have towards eBay I can't imagine why anyone would be unhappy with the 50K free listings. This is a win win for everybody. Sellers have no fear of losing money due to dead listings sitting on eBay, and eBay gets to reap the benefits of all the extra sales they will be seeing from all the new listings being added to their site.
Message 2 of 70
latest reply

Re: Insulted! So they offer 50,000 additional listings for store subscribers because of Covid-19? Pl

@bella3boutique wrote:
And so I want to ask eBay what are they are willing to offer SMALL store sellers who are unable to list up to 50,000 items

You are unable to list "up to" 50,000 items? That doesn't mean you HAVE TO list 50,000 items. That means 1 item to 50,000 items.  Why aren't you able to do this?

Papa Was A Rolling Stone - The Temptations
Message 3 of 70
latest reply

Hundreds of millions of Americans are in the process of getting $1,200, there is no better time to list than right now. I plan to make hundreds of new listings this coming month, and hopefully sap up as much of that stimulus money as possible, and you should do the same.

My sales went way up after those stimulus checks started going out, and I'd imagine there will be a ton of money changing hands on ebay for at least the next few months. Heck, I just got a sale right now as I am typing this. 

I get your frustrations with ebay too, but its a bad distraction. That stimulus money is a one time shot, why not take advantage of it while you can? Free listings, and nothing beats free!

Message 4 of 70
latest reply

OK, honestly that doesn't make a whole lot of sense to me.  If you are dependent upon Ebay for your income, one would think you would welcome to ability to list more items at no cost to you.  Well other than your time to create the listings if you have the inventory in which you can pull things to list.  Would that not help you pay those bills you are concerned about?

Not everyone's sales are plummeting.  You may want to look at what you are selling and maybe add more items that are popular right now.  Clean out those closets.  Find puzzles, games, crafting stuff, legos, movies, etc.  Those are really popular right now as people are spending so much time at home.  Use some of those extra listings to list this stuff and maybe it will help your sales until we get back to normal or our new normal around here.

Deferring fees is a dangerous thing for sellers.  It isn't forgiving those fees, it just means you have to pay for them at a later date.  That is really going to get some sellers in trouble down the road.  So use it with real caution.

mam98031  •  Volunteer Community Member  •  Buyer/Seller since 1999
Message 5 of 70
latest reply

Does anyone really have 50,000 items they were storing in a shed just waiting for this opportunity? Maybe drop shippers could take advantage of it.

Don't get me wrong. I think it's great for the very few sellers who will be able to use it. But it seems more like a marketing gimmick. They might as well have made it 50 million! Or 500 gazillion dillions!

Message 6 of 70
latest reply

Don't understand your mentality.......you are getting as many free listings as you want to use........  as said by others if your items aren't selling..... need to rethink what you are listing......

Sellers BEG for free listings every wk........you might ask yourself why you are insulted....

Message 7 of 70
latest reply

@iart wrote:

Does anyone really have 50,000 items they were storing in a shed just waiting for this opportunity? Maybe drop shippers could take advantage of it.

Don't get me wrong. I think it's great for the very few sellers who will be able to use it. But it seems more like a marketing gimmick. They might as well have made it 50 million! Or 500 gazillion dillions!

So use one? Ten? 100?

It's kinda like my $200 MILLION/2 BILLION item listing limit - never in a gazillion years achievable. It's basically an "unlimited limit".

The easier you are to offend the easier you are to control.

We seem to be getting closer and closer to a situation where nobody is responsible for what they did but we are all responsible for what somebody else did. - Thomas Sowell
Message 8 of 70
latest reply

Your fees for selling an item are due the moment you sell it. You don't 'owe' anything, you were simply suppose to 'hold' that money in your account and at the end of the month, you have THEIR money. If you 'took' their money and were spending it in hopes of that 'next' months sales would cover you- that is the single worst way to run any business- for just this reason. 

I'm not sure what else they should do for you? Does the grocery store give you a gallon of milk when you buy eggs? or the gas station simply 'give' you 10 gallons for free because you've been a customer there for a zillion years? or the phone or electric company just tell you 'never mind last months bill'?? 

Nobody, except the $1200 government handout- is expected or SHOULD BE expected to GIVE you anything, and to be insulted by it is beyond understanding. 

Message 9 of 70
latest reply

@dhbookds wrote:

Don't understand your mentality.......you are getting as many free listings as you want to use........  as said by others if your items aren't selling..... need to rethink what you are listing......

Sellers BEG for free listings every wk........you might ask yourself why you are insulted....

IMHO Ebay did an extreme number because so many were on the threads complaining that Ebay wasn't giving them free stuff.  They were upset that Ebay wasn't doing this at a time when they felt Ebay should.  So Ebay responded with this promo.  Yes it is over the top.  I'd bet Ebay knows it is over the top and most sellers would never even get close to listing that many listings.  It is likely done in the hopes that people would stop slamming Ebay for not giving them free listings as they were likely tired hearing it.

mam98031  •  Volunteer Community Member  •  Buyer/Seller since 1999
Message 10 of 70
latest reply

I'm appalled at the lack of attention eBay turns it's attention to the AMERICAN small sellers
----

eBay is a GLOBAL platform, and it's time people stop blaming the Chinese and other countries for their lack of sales. Maybe if you were selling things people actually want, you'd do better.
Message 11 of 70
latest reply

Since online selling is all about the product, its uniqueness, quality, price points, supply & demand, target market,etc, perhaps it is time to re-think the product line.

Times change, trends change, what was popular and selling like crazy 5 years ago may be not be what is desirable these days, buying habits change...

Sellers have to adapt to the changes in trends and buying habits...

Maybe do a little searching about to see what can be changed, and offer buyers something that is more trending for the times...

eBay offers sellers a platform to sell their wares, it is up to sellers how they use that platform to make the most of what is available to them for selling their items.

It is not eBay's job to make sales for the seller, it is the seller's job to make the sales.eBay is under no obligation to make sure each & every seller is successful and/or stays successful - that is the seller's job.

Message 12 of 70
latest reply

@bella3boutique wrote:
 I want to ask eBay what are they are willing to offer SMALL store sellers who are unable to list up to 50,000 items

For any seller who is too small to use all 50K free insertions, they are offering as many free insertions as they can possibly use.

They are also offering those sellers a platform that remains open during the stay at home orders that have closed so many other small businesses.

They are also offering to suspend any negative impacts to your seller status for a 90 day period.

Message 13 of 70
latest reply

Why is it that no one can grasp the 'up to' part of the 50,000 free listings?

It's not like you are forced to list 50k listings each month ...............

Message 14 of 70
latest reply

I don't really get the hangup on the 50K listings. My guess is eBay just picked an arbitrary number that would be enough for 90% of users. I am guessing it was easier for them to give us 50K listings than just make everything 0 insertion fees.
Message 15 of 70
latest reply