cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Insidious eBay Pop-up causing people to think their credit card was stolen.

This is the 3rd time I make a post about this issue.

After buyers checkout and pay for an item there is an insidious pop-up which eBay has  implemented (see photo attachment).

We have had atleast 3 instance of buyers thinking their credit card was compromised and cancelling their credit card because they clicked on this pop-up accidentally and didn't realize they purchased these "recommended" items.

We've had also had a 5x increase in returns due to "ordered by mistake". Additionally we are getting anywhere in the range of 3-5 people per day realizing the mistake and sending us cancellation requests before we ship (thankfully).

I'm not sure at this point if getting buyers to accidentally buy items they don't want is a bug or a feature. eBay has been mute on this issue the other 2 times I've posted about it. I'm asking again for eBay to acknowledge this problem on this forum and stop this 1 click purchase pop-up.

Thank you.IMG_1031.jpg

Message 1 of 14
latest reply
13 REPLIES 13

Well, I am not eBay but itis sure a problem to me. My elderly mother would without a doubt click on it, then it would go to auto pay.

then when family or helper audits her finances we’d find it. Do credit card reversal and tell every person we knew about this classless tactic to make a sale.

I for one thank u for boring this to my awareness.

Message 2 of 14
latest reply

@sofancy 

Thank you for the screen shot.  Others have posted about the "annoying pop up", but so far I have no seen one in action.  

Message 3 of 14
latest reply

Is this a function of  the new "autopay" keeping that first payment option open for "future purchases"?

Pretty slimy tactics if you ask me.

"If a product doesn't sell, raise the price" - Reese Palley
"If it sold FAST, it was priced too low" - also Reese Palley
Message 4 of 14
latest reply

then it would go to auto pay.

@collectfest   

Why do you think that?  

Message 5 of 14
latest reply

This is ebay, why wouldn't it? lol

"If a product doesn't sell, raise the price" - Reese Palley
"If it sold FAST, it was priced too low" - also Reese Palley
Message 6 of 14
latest reply

@ittybitnot wrote:

then it would go to auto pay.

@collectfest   

Why do you think that?  

Cause it does for me.

Message 7 of 14
latest reply

Cause it does for me.

@collectfest 

Thank you.  I appreciate the time you took to answer.   Do you have the opportunity to choose a payment source first?  or does it just pick the last one you used when you were required to provide a payment source in order to proceed to make an offer or bid on something else? 

I see there is a button in the screenshot provided by the OP @sofancy  that says "view item details" .  If one were inclined to even click on an eBay pop up in the first place, I would presume it would lead to a page where one could see the seller's ID and check if they have IPR or auto-pay engaged.  Then again, I have been here so long, I wouldn't click on that at all either. LOL. 

Message 8 of 14
latest reply

Just thanks to the op for posting this. That's all

Message 9 of 14
latest reply

This pop-up comes up on the "order confirmation" page after you pay for an item.

eBay is taking the same address / method of payment you selected for that order. So on the screenshot if I were to click the "confirm and pay" button it would use the same payment and same address as the item I just paid for.

Please note the "recommended" item in the screenshot is literally something I've never looked at or would even consider buying. We don't buy a whole lot on eBay (mostly sell) but I'm glad I caught this pop-up in action.

It's literally causing huge havoc with our business, we've lost hundreds of dollars at this point paying return shipping charges. And for customers who are thinking their credit card was stolen I'm sure it's even worse.

Message 10 of 14
latest reply

@ittybitnot wrote:

Cause it does for me.

@collectfest 

Thank you.  I appreciate the time you took to answer.   Do you have the opportunity to choose a payment source first?  or does it just pick the last one you used when you were required to provide a payment source in order to proceed to make an offer or bid on something else? 

I see there is a button in the screenshot provided by the OP @sofancy  that says "view item details" .  If one were inclined to even click on an eBay pop up in the first place, I would presume it would lead to a page where one could see the seller's ID and check if they have IPR or auto-pay engaged.  Then again, I have been here so long, I wouldn't click on that at all either. LOL. 

Long story….all I know, after being a stellar lol, ebay member, out of the blue, I’m magically having my payments automatically paid WITHOUT MY CONSENT BTW. Spent time on phone with eBay, long story short, still autopay WITHOUT MY CONSENT.

THIS THREAD really about a different subject. It’s about that pop up, something I’d expect from a bush league operation but that’s just my opinion. Admittedly I’m getting old lol, I expect better from ebay.

anyway, I just accept autopay but WILL NEVER BUY MULTIPLE ITEMS FROM SAME SELLER.  Not gonna go through the hoops to combine shipping.

anyway, sorry for getting off subject 

Message 11 of 14
latest reply

This just happened to me after paying for something.

This pop-up is beyond insidious, trying to get people to accidentally buy something they don't want.

This would be very easy to do especially if in a hurry or paying for more than one item, or thinking your original payment didn't go through for some reason and you just click on the pay tab again, not looking at the pic of the unwanted item. VERY DANGEROUS and seems it will cause all kind of problems.

I had never even looked for the item that they tried to push on me and trick me into buying. It will just make me buy less from them. 

EBAY PLEASE STOP THIS VERY DECEIVING POP-UP 

Message 12 of 14
latest reply

Yes, this started for me 2 days ago and I don't like it either.  eBay needs to stop this bad pop up.  It's too easy to mistakenly buy this other item we don't want since it takes only one click.  Crazy!

Message 13 of 14
latest reply

Lately, and more and more, I think it is best to buy IN  PERSON with CASH  from your mattress funds...... PERIOD.

For some......It seems wisdom has been chasing you, but you have always been faster.
Message 14 of 14
latest reply