cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Insertion Fees paid on ahead

I had unlimited free listings (or I had a huge number that it seemed unlimited, I can't remember) and now I've only have 250 p/ month just like when I started 10 years ago — and Ebay is charging insertion fees before the listings even sell. Isn't that nice?

Can someone tell me when did these changes came about? It seems I've missed yet another fantastic seller update somewhere back.

Message 1 of 28
latest reply
27 REPLIES 27

2020 is when I remember 

Message 2 of 28
latest reply

Are you sure its insertion fee's and not a listing upgrade fee?

I see 9 listed and 1 sold this month, so there shouldn't be any insertion fee's.

Have a great day.
Message 3 of 28
latest reply

There were promotions in the past for what seemed like enormous numbers of free listings in selected categories. Now there are 250 unless you pay to have a store.

Listing fees were always charged when you list unless they were free.

The free listing promotions always has an end date each month, and eventually Ebay stopped offering them.

Second categories were always billed.

Message 4 of 28
latest reply

The number of free insertions for sellers who don't have a Store has been 250 since 2021, and before that it was 200.  

https://www.ebay.com/sellercenter/resources/seller-updates/2021-spring/financials

With the small number of active and Sold listings showing for your account, there should be no insertion fees.  But there  might be fees for listing upgrades such as subtitles.  Listing upgrade fees and insertion fees (if any) are charged when the listing goes live and are generally not refundable (there are a few special circumstances).

For details about the fees on a listing, you can check at the bottom of each listing form before you launch it, or check your itemized invoice from eBay for fees details.  Here's an overview of fees for sellers who don't have a Store subscription:

https://www.ebay.com/help/selling/fees-credits-invoices/selling-fees?id=4822 

Message 5 of 28
latest reply

They are insertion fees...

Screen Shot 2024-02-20 at 19.52.50.png

Thanks, like @tobaccocardyahoo pointed out something must have changed recently — and caught me off guard. 

They probably cut it because this way your listings really sink down even more in the feed and searches and they want you to rescue them with their greedy advertising scheme. Ebay isn't what it was any more.

Thanks, all!

Message 6 of 28
latest reply

You're on the discussion board for the US site. The policies (such as fees and number of free insertions) might be completely different for sellers who are based in Portugal.

Message 7 of 28
latest reply

@ulfesharpe,

Your screenshot shows that you are paying US$ 0.43 per listing in insertion fees. However, since you are in Portugal, unless you are registered as a business seller (you don't appear to be) and have provided your VAT registration number, eBay is required to charge VAT at the rate for Portugal (23%) on your selling fees.

So, $ 0.43 would be 1.23 times the insertion fee (as it would be charged for a seller in the USA). 

$ 0.43 / 1.23 = $ 0.35

That ($ 0.35) is the insertion fee (listing upgrade fee) for Gallery Plus ... can you please check your listings, and see if you have Gallery Plus checked off to be applied to your listings?

https://www.ebay.com/help/selling/fees-credits-invoices/selling-fees?id=4822#section5

$ 0.35 is also the basic insertion fee for an item listed in a second category, which would be charged if you had listed those items in two categories. I can't see that you did that, but eBay has changed how it shows categories, so I'm not sure if multiple categories can still be seen except by the seller.

I checked Item: 335267306361, Dyson Biro Ballpoint Pen, which is one of the ones shown in your screenshot. As far as I can tell, it is only listed in one category (Collectibles > Pens & Writing Instruments > Pens > Ballpoint Pens > Other Collectible Ballpoint (#7279)) so I think it is more likely to be the Gallery Plus listing upgrade as I mentioned above.

Message 8 of 28
latest reply

Shipping as a gift means you are encouraging the customer to smuggle in the pen.

US residents have an $800  duty free allowance, so it isn't even useful to them.

No Returns does not mean No Refunds. Your buyer is still covered by eBay's Money Back Guarantee as well as the Buyer Protection policy of Paypal and by the chargeback provisions of their credit card.

The "brand new unused unopened" condition is made incorrect by inking the pen "for testing".

Message 9 of 28
latest reply

I dont use gallery plus, it's not checked. Nor 2nd categories. Thank you for checking

Message 10 of 28
latest reply

@reallynicestamps wrote:

Shipping as a gift means you are encouraging the customer to smuggle in the pen.

Interesting ideas no doubt, but why are you bringing this up?

Message 11 of 28
latest reply

@lacemaker3 

I thought at first that it was gallery plus too but it looks like the .35 is for auctions and $1 for gtc listings.

The gallery plus upgrade should be free in collectibles.

Message 12 of 28
latest reply

@lacemaker3 

Wow. In fact I went back to check and Gallery Plus was on on every listing! But I know I never selected it bc I relisted them all in bulk.

So is this a new trick from ebay to squeeze more money from us — gallery plus being on by default and you have to de-select it?????

Message 13 of 28
latest reply

Also, any "refunds" are withdrawn from "available funds" immediately....and anything "promoted" the fee is withdrawn immediately from "available funds". Yes, I do end up in the negative sometimes in "available funds".

Its a learning experience.

Message 14 of 28
latest reply

As I mentioned in my post gallery plus is supposed to be free in collectibles which is what your listings are in.  Also the upgrade charge for fixed price listings is $1 which is what you are using.  The .35 rate is for auctions.  I don’t know what the charge is for but I suspect it is a mistake so you should be able to get it credited if you contact customer service.

Message 15 of 28
latest reply