cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Incorrect price deposited after sale

The item sold on ebay for $550, without "Make an Offer", but the deposited amount at payout was $68.00.  I contacted support and they said I offered an 88% discount, which i did not do, and there is no record of any such offer.  

Has anyone else had an issue like this?

Message 1 of 212
latest reply
211 REPLIES 211

Re: Incorrect price deposited after sale

@gurlcat 

i misunderstood your question  i was considering when the offer was accepted, you were looking for when the offer was sent.

At 13:30 PDT (16:30 EDT)  on Wednesday afternoon, 2-Aug, when the  offer was sent , i would have been up.  I know i was not on my computer, but i can't say definitively that i was not on my phone.   That said, i remain confident in my assertion that i did not send the quote.  As i said before, i hadn't thought about that generator and ebay for some time.   

Message 151 of 212
latest reply

Wow!  I'd say the article is a pretty fair summary of the mystery.  The comments to it are not surprising, including devout Ebay-haters who believe it's a glitch just because it's Ebay, and others who assume the OP made a mistake "when" he sent an offer, even though the article quoted him about never sending one for any item, so he couldn't have "fat-fingered" the amount vs. percent thing. 

But one commenter made a point I found particularly relevant, how Ebay has glitch-relisted old SOLD listings in the past.  On the one hand, I would say that's a glitch on par with glitch-sending an offer to watchers, like if the software could screw up something as big as whether a listing is ended or not, especially months after it ended, then rogue offer-sending doesn't seem out of the question.  But of course the problem with that comparison is the fact that numerous people have reported false relists, where's the OP's claim is unique, so far at least, to our Community knowledge at least.  

One other commenter to that article said they had to send a card that allegedly was from an offer they had no willing part in, and that they just sent it because the difference between their $12.99 BIN price and the $8.00 "offer" wasn't worth fighting against.  But they didn't give much detail, such as how long ago it happened.  

Message 153 of 212
latest reply

@robots-r-us wrote:

I know i was not on my computer, but i can't say definitively that i was not on my phone.   That said, i remain confident in my assertion that i did not send the quote.  As i said before, i hadn't thought about that generator and ebay for some time.   

One reason I have no trouble believing that is you only had 2 listings up.  There was the generator and one pair of shoes, which appears to be a pretty old listing as the description says you won't be able to ship until a date in November of 2022, LOL!  In other words, you're not fussing over your listings in a way that you could accidentally touch and type a series of things that result in sending someone a crazy offer.  

Message 154 of 212
latest reply

There's already a youtube video about the problem too. Look at the comments there as well.

@amazingsecondshop wrote:

This is in the news now:

https://www.ecommercebytes.com/C/blog/blog.pl?/pl/2023/8/1691615531.html

Message 155 of 212
latest reply

Thank you SO MUCH for posting this- we didn't encounter the glitch all the way through to a sale, but we had a bunch of items in the "Automatically Sending Offers" category to go back and fix. 

Message 156 of 212
latest reply

@robots-r-us wrote:

The following was sent to elizabeth@ebay  via communitysubscriptions@ebay.com.

I share it with the group with the hopes of finding any errors or omissions.

HI Elizabeth,

The discussion thread on the forum has pretty-well scrutinized my predicament, and it appears the ball is now in your court.   Here is what I know for sure:

1. I, the seller, did not send an offer to the buyer.
  2. I am unaware of my eBay account ever being hacked.
  3. I was remiss by not reading the order details in transaction emails sent by eBay.  By doing so, the transaction could have been preempted.
  4. My transaction history will show both purchases and sales have always gone smoothly.
  5. The buyer is cooperating fully in this investigation and has sent me a copy of the offer.

Will you be able to shed some light on this matter from a more technical standpoint? Example; By examining network traffic history, can eBay explain how the buyer received an email offer that I did not send? 

Further, it seems to me eBay does not take Seller generated offers seriously enough to protect those of us with less selling experience.  As such, please have eBay answer the following questions and then consider revising its approach to include more complete communications: 

1. Why was the heavily discounted offer amount not shown on the eBay SOLD page?
  2. Why was  a confirming email not sent to the seller that an offer was made to prospective buyers?
  3. Why was  a confirming email not sent to the seller that an offer was accepted by the buyer?
  4. Why do Emails confirming the sale and payment say nothing about an accepted offer?

Thanks in advance for you assistance in this matter.

Robots-r-us

Jan

Hi @robots-r-us. I've sent this over to have your questions answered while we continue to dig into this further. Please send any emails to me through askcommunity@ebay.com, as we do not have access to the inbox you sent this to. I will follow up via the askcommunity inbox once I hear back. 

Elizabeth,
eBay
Message 157 of 212
latest reply

@wastingtime101 wrote:

That explains it @gurlcat and @lacemaker3 .

Since the items were on sale, the SIO had to be a minimum % off the sale price. And confusion came in because the offer window showed gurlcat's non-markdown price.

You can cancel my request for assistance elizabeth@ebay - mystery solved on why the math appeared to be so off. But if you wouldn't mind escalating feedback that it would help in the offer window to see the original price with a strikethrough followed by the markdown price so the seller can see the current price & the fact that it's on markdown, that would be helpful.

Absolutely @wastingtime101! I love this suggestion and will get this passed along. 

Elizabeth,
eBay
Message 158 of 212
latest reply

Thanks Elizabeth.  

it appears this topic has gained traction outside of eBay.  I hope this motivates people inside of eBay. 

Message 159 of 212
latest reply

Here is an older post on the same subject.

https://community.ebay.com/t5/Selling/Heads-Up-Items-selling-for-amounts-other-than-listed/td-p/3376...

For some......It seems wisdom has been chasing you, but you have always been faster.
Message 160 of 212
latest reply

@janet9988 wrote:

Here is an older post on the same subject.

https://community.ebay.com/t5/Selling/Heads-Up-Items-selling-for-amounts-other-than-listed/td-p/3376...

There were at least 3 instances (including the one you linked) from around that same time period where something similar happened, all in the jewelry category, but there were several differences with the OP here and those other cases which is why I didn't think the issues were related. But I did consider it in the beginning. 🙂

GLORIOUS!

Confused about the switch to eBay discounted shipping? Read this discussion to make an informed decision about opt in / opt out.
Message 161 of 212
latest reply

I believe the OP. And to state, I have almost 50 years of IT experience(and still adding to it), a lot with operating systems, data communications, databases, RF applications, you name it - I've done it.

First off, ebay showing a sold price of the asking price when  it did NOT sell at that price is just wrong on so many levels. That just proves that they play with what they want the numbers to be.

If the OP ever talked to ebay on a problem and gave them any personal info(hopefully not), then that person or group could easily fudge a BO like this to screw the seller. 

My bet is on some poorly written code concerning the various offer toggles and the OP's listing got caught up in it somehow. I have no doubt that it will be fixed, but whether or not it's made public is up in the air.

I know that whenever I was selling here, I hated those messages from ebay telling us offers are better than sliced bread no matter how they came in or who makes them or how ridiculous they may be were very irritating and I wouldn't doubt that even clicking on one of them to "check" the status would toss the seller into an abyss.

I'm showing my ignorance here, but as i was looking for clues to this dilemma in my other item for sale, i found two things:

1.  There is nothing about generating a seller offer to a prospective buyer.  There are currently  3 watchers.

2. The slide in the image below (Promoted Listings section) was active for a "Campaign" indicating a date.   

robotsrus_1-1691813772928.png

When i opened the link, below is what was found.  Note that the date and time is within 7 minutes of the date and time when the mysterious offer was sent to the buyer of the generator.   Is this a coincidence? MMMMM, dunno!  

robotsrus_2-1691814197890.png

What does " Campaign" mean?  I assume some sort of promotional campaign. 

• Is it a planted campaign by ebay? 
  • Could this activate some sort of process to automatically promote my listing...and perhaps send offers?
  • What will happen if i turn it off?

This is yet another feature in ebay, of which i was unaware....no surprise there.

Message 163 of 212
latest reply

That 12.5% rate means if your items sells you will owe eBay an additional 12.5% in fees.  So the normal 13.25% plus 12.5% will mean you owe eBay 25.75% of the total sale.

To get away from the promotion completely you need to end the listing and then relist it.  When you relist it make sure the promotion is turned off.

Message 164 of 212
latest reply

@robots-r-us  So it seems, you also set up a Promoted Listings Campaign or at least promoted this one item, without realizing it also?  

In your Order Details, can you an Ad Fee?  If so, that means that you indeed did ALSO set up a Promoted Listing for the item, without ever realizing it. 

This one goes to Eleven - Nigel Tufnel

Simply-the-best-for-you Volunteer Community Mentor
eBay Seller since 1996

Message 165 of 212
latest reply