cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

IPR listing sold but payment has Expected Clearing Date of 10/24/18? What is going on??

Sold an item tonight.  Listing was Buy It Now with Immediate Payment Required like I do with all my listings (rechecked the listing in question and it was definitely IPR).  Item is in my Solds list now and is no longer active.  Ebay has it as Awaiting payment.  Paypal has it as Pending with an Expected Clearing Date of 10/24/18 and has a message on it that states "Wait, don't ship yet" (since it is pending).  There are no funds in my Paypal account.  My question is how can a buyer purchase my item with IPR and make a payment that doesn't clear until 10/24?  Can buyers make payment via echeck on IPR listings?

Seems really strange, since this has never happened before.  All my payments received in the past have all been, well, immediate since they are IPR.  Also the buyer left a note for the seller that requests that I ship the item out tomorrow (which I of course won't do until the funds are in my Paypal account).  So something seems really off with this transaction.

Message 1 of 25
latest reply
24 REPLIES 24

IPR listing sold but payment has Expected Clearing Date of 10/24/18? What is going on??

Sounds like they paid with an E-Check.

Message 2 of 25
latest reply

I didn't think IPR listings could be paid with an Echeck (maybe I think that only because it has never happened to me in all the years after I switched to IPR only).  This buyer is certainly not going to be happy about having to wait until it clears...just what I needed.

Message 3 of 25
latest reply

Is there somewhere on the Paypal transaction where it will say it is an echeck payment?  I see the Payment Type only says "Checkout".

Message 4 of 25
latest reply

All of my Payment Types show as "instant" in the transaction details (classic PayPal view). Haven't gotten an e-check payment in many years, so no help on what the payment type might appear as.

(Found a PayPal "notice of pending e-check payment" email from 2008 - don't know if they still issue those)

I too thought IPR precluded use of e-checks, but....

What happens if you look at the PayPal transaction details using the classic view (if it will let you)?
https://history.paypal.com/cgi-bin/webscr?cmd=_history

Message 5 of 25
latest reply

That has to be an echeck.  They did not have any funds in their Paypal account. Therefore the money has to be transferred from their bank.  The transfer time could be from 3-5 days. That is why you cannot ship the item until the e check clears.   I have IPR on all my fixed listings as well. And there aren't any restrictions from eBay with regard to paying from the bank.  If you are uncomfortable about the buyer having to wait why not drop them a message and let them know that you will be shipping when their check clears.

Message 6 of 25
latest reply

@modulok! wrote:

I didn't think IPR listings could be paid with an Echeck (maybe I think that only because it has never happened to me in all the years after I switched to IPR only).  This buyer is certainly not going to be happy about having to wait until it clears...just what I needed.

They aren’t supposed to be able to use an echeck with IPR

“Birth certificates show that you were born. Death certificates show that you died. Photographs show that you have lived.” -Unknown
Message 7 of 25
latest reply

@lightlily_arts wrote:

That has to be an echeck.  They did not have any funds in their Paypal account. Therefore the money has to be transferred from their bank.  The transfer time could be from 3-5 days. That is why you cannot ship the item until the e check clears.   I have IPR on all my fixed listings as well. And there aren't any restrictions from eBay with regard to paying from the bank.  If you are uncomfortable about the buyer having to wait why not drop them a message and let them know that you will be shipping when their check clears.

There isn’t a restrictions on bank accounts.   If a buyer has a cc on file they can pay with a bank account and it will go through as an instant transfer.  But IPR isn’t supposed to allow echeck because it’s not immediate payment.  That’s one of the differences between when a seller sets IPR and eBay’s “it not yours until you pay “that makes the buyer pay immediately. 

“Birth certificates show that you were born. Death certificates show that you died. Photographs show that you have lived.” -Unknown
Message 8 of 25
latest reply

You might give Paypal a call and ask.  I've never heard of an e-check being used for IPR either, I thought it wasn't allowed. 

Since the buyer is requesting immediate shipment, I am suspicious that it is some sort of new scam.  Definitely don't ship until you actually have the money inyour account. 

----------------------------
Successful and experienced seller since 1997, over 70,000 feedback, boardie since the boards were begun.
Message 9 of 25
latest reply

I agree that this sounds like an e-check, so very important that you do not ship until it has cleared, but like others, I am not sure why e-check was allowed on an IPR listing.  I recall that you cannot say you will not take an e-check so maybe that is in there for some reason.

Message 10 of 25
latest reply

I've had 3 items paid via echeck over the years since IPR was implemented.  Each time, I messaged the buyer to advise them not to panic if an unpaid item case opened before it could clear.  If it did, I would then manually turn it off so it won't close automatically on them; only when the payment clears.

It's never been that big a deal.

Not being able to mention e-checks is probably because the bots are not programmed for context and just assume you are trying to say that you will take a check instead.

If it works, sell it. If it works well, sell it for more. If it doesn't work, quadruple the price and sell it as an antique.

-- Ferengi Rule of Acquisition #80
Message 11 of 25
latest reply

@modulok! wrote:

Is there somewhere on the Paypal transaction where it will say it is an echeck payment?  I see the Payment Type only says "Checkout".

It used to be (maybe still?) that you could check the status by viewing the history area of your paypal account and the details list when the echeck should clear.

I would message the buyer the fact that it will take paypal a few days to process and even show them the paypal wording of not to ship yet. If they are understanding, it shouldn't be a problem for them. Echecks can bounce, but hopefully that's rare. 

Did their "request" that you ship the next day (Saturday?) sound more like a demand? If so, It could be a red flag, but not necessarily, if it was an expensive item and they could later stop payment or have insufficient funds.

I think communicating the delay to the buyer would give you a feeling for their temperament and intentions. They may not realize that echecks have a waiting period if paypal doesn't tell buyers that.

Message 12 of 25
latest reply

The item is a larger Halloween costume accessory and was about $35 plus shipping.  The note by the buyer was not demanding but just stated that they needed this item for a Halloween party sometime next week and to please ship it tomorrow (Saturday).  Well Paypal says that the clearing date isn't until the 24th which is already the middle of next week, so before I ship it, it will already be late because of when this buyer needs it by.  On top of that, it is being a larger item, the stated shipping method in the listing was set at USPS Parcel Select Ground.  Parcel Select Ground shipping for this item from ND to AZ is about $12 whereas Priority Mail shipping was about $40 (I'm not taking a chance of a return on this item and end up paying $80 in initial and return shipping fees, so that is why it is being shipped Parcel Select Ground only as stated in the listing).

I've sent a message to the buyer last night explaining all of this and have yet to get a response.  This transaction has trouble written all over it.  I know if I end up shipping this item after the echeck clears it will NOT get there in the buyers time frame and will be returned most probably as a false SNAD with some negative feedback more than likely stating that I ruined their kids Halloween (I've been around a long time and have seen it all).  Is there anyway I can cancel this transaction without any ill effects to my account?

Message 13 of 25
latest reply

Sorry if this was answered already but what  does the actual email from PP say?  If it is an echeck the email should state that is the reason for the delay.

Message 14 of 25
latest reply

Yes, just checked the Paypal email and it is in fact an Echeck payment with an estimated clearing date of 10/24-10/26.  I do Buy It Now with IPR only to avoid nonpayments and Echeck payments.  Worked like a charm for years until this happened.

Message 15 of 25
latest reply