cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

I will no longer buy graded currency on Ebay

On April 26th, Ebay removed a listing of mine for a CGA graded 1928F $2 note. A NOTE THAT I PURCHASED ON EBAY A FEW MONTHS AGO. They said it violated their Replica coin and currency policy. If it's printed on both sides, which this note is, then it's not a replica. Then I assume they think it's counterfeit. I've bought and sold quite a bit of currency on Ebay and I would bet that this note is 100% REAL. According to Ebay, their determination was made using automation or artificial intelligence. I'm sure that's 100% ACCURATE!!!!!!!!!

Message 1 of 24
latest reply
23 REPLIES 23

Re: I will no longer buy graded currency on Ebay

@sin-n-dex wrote:

@wds_collectibles wrote:

On April 26th, Ebay removed a listing of mine for a CGA graded 1928F $2 note. A NOTE THAT I PURCHASED ON EBAY A FEW MONTHS AGO. They said it violated their Replica coin and currency policy. If it's printed on both sides, which this note is, then it's not a replica. Then I assume they think it's counterfeit. I've bought and sold quite a bit of currency on Ebay and I would bet that this note is 100% REAL. According to Ebay, their determination was made using automation or artificial intelligence. I'm sure that's 100% ACCURATE!!!!!!!!!

Is CGA an approved grading company for currency? If the grading company is not "approved by eBay" it will be removed under the coins & currency policy. The verbage is a template, so not everything applies to your item.

C.

Bingo ... although you can sell an item from an un-approved grading company, you just can't advertise the grading co, estimated value or numeric grade or show images of it in the graded holder if the image shows a grade... 

EBay policy:

Listings for ungraded coins and currency or raw currency:

• Must not include a non-approved grading company, numeric grade or estimated value anywhere in the listing and can't show an image of the item in a graded holder if the image shows a grade

Why they flagged it as counterfeit/replica ... idk ... but it seems you may have had a totally different violation as well that would have or should have flagged you. 

The fact that you bought it on here and now tried to resell and got flagged is just unfortunate. It either incorrectly flagged you or improperly let it slide the first time. These things happen. 

Message 16 of 24
latest reply

@tobaccocardyahoo wrote:

Even if you manage to get the listing reinstated, the bot will take it down again unless you find the trigger and remove it.

True ... risky game and you need to know what you're doing. Some items are not inherently a violation, but the way you created the listing violated policy. A.K.A. the item is totally "legal" but your listing technique wasn't.

I had a coin recently ... a state quarter ... that was in a graded holder with a state flag label. The flag on the label was the old state flag and it had confederate symbolism and was changed a couple years ago. So because the OLD state flag was on the holder and had this symbolism it violated eBay policy. The symbolism isn't kosher in any situation, but since it was an issue of a state flag, eBay's policy is written such that any offensive old state flags are a no go. 

Long story short ... I was able to relist the coin and just not show the state flag label in the pics. As long as there is no confederate stuff in the images ... it gets a green light from the bots.

So if you absolutely know what you're doing then go for it, but in any other situation, relisting an item that has been taken down is a very risky business and can get you in deep doo-doo w/ eBay. Repeat violations is a big deal.

Message 17 of 24
latest reply

I think you can get your choice of any 2 menu items at Wendy's for that $2 note.

Message 18 of 24
latest reply

I see other people selling CGA graded currency, so I know it's allowed.

Message 19 of 24
latest reply

August 9th 2023.

Message 20 of 24
latest reply

I will sell it somewhere else, if Ebay doesn't want to make the money, that's fine.

Message 21 of 24
latest reply

@wds_collectibles wrote:

Sorry, I don't see them on this list:

sinndex_0-1714841149326.png

And just because other people are doing it doesn't mean it's allowed.

C.

Message 22 of 24
latest reply

@wds_collectibles wrote:

Then since eBay has "determined" it was fake, then I would file a CC chargeback for the reason inauthentic or fake. eBay has confirmed the item you bought was fake, so you should get your money back. 

I think EVERY seller who buys something here, only to have eBay yank their listing as fraudulent, should file chargebacks. eBay is admitting the item you bought was fake, so as a buyer, you should not have to be taken by a "scammer" eBay allowed to sell here. 

Let eBay destroy their own platform, let buyers get refunds, and let sellers stop selling here when eBay is falsely claiming their items as fakes. 

I mean some people may see this response as nuts or cruel to the sellers, but eBay is marking items as fakes, and fakes are not legal to sell. If you got something that was fake, wouldn't you want your money back? If enough people file chargebacks because eBay is telling them their items are fake, then eBay will have to re-evaluate their system/process of yanking items down as fake. 

Message 23 of 24
latest reply

@wds_collectibles wrote:

Yeah, no, not how that works at all... Let's try that again!

"I see other people selling CGA graded currency..." ... so I know they just haven't been caught yet.

"I see other people selling CGA graded currency..." ... so I know they are only allowed to do so per policy if they do not claim the item to be certified, and do not show images of the item in a graded holder that shows numerical grades in said image.

Message 24 of 24
latest reply