cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

I think it is wrong that defects in Tracking Uploaded cannot be appealed

This post is for sellers that are rated top-rated or aspire to be top-rated.

Recently, my seller's level fell from a top-rated seller to "above standard", so I looked into the issue and found that I have several defects in the category of " Tracking uploaded on time and validated". Turns out that for these transactions, I voided the initial labels and bought new labels, and the system did not get updated. I buy labels from Pirateship, and Pirateship communicates with eBay and uploads the tracking. So the lesson is that whenever you use a third party vendor for labels, be sure to update the tracking on eBay whenever you void the initial label.

So I brought up the issue with eBay, hoping that these defects could be appealed. After all, it was a system glitch, and nobody was hurt. This is where I found out that defects in this category cannot be appealed. As you probably know, you could appeal defects in the other three categories, namely, Transaction defect rate, Late shipment rate, Cases closed without seller resolution. Is it weird that defects in the tracking upload (probably the most harmless defect) cannot be appealed, although it does affect the seller's level?  Well, that is how the system is set up as of now, and I sure hope that it changes in the future.

You might wonder why I care about the seller's level. Top-rated sellers get a 10% discount in FVF. Depending on your regular FVF rate, the discount is worth 1.3 to 1.5% of the transaction. Those defects stay with you for three months, so for three months of not being a top-rated seller, I'd be paying $450 more in FVF based on my past three months' sales. Not a small loss. 

Message 1 of 37
latest reply
36 REPLIES 36

Same thing happened to me, although I purchased the labels through eBay. I cancelled the first one and then about 30 days later, it appears as late shipment. 

Message 2 of 37
latest reply

Only Top Rated Plus get the discount.

It is obvious why this defect cannot be appealed. You could invent a number to fool the system, then when you had a real tracking number try to get it accepted.

Every type of seller fraud possible has been attempted on this site.

Message 3 of 37
latest reply

It happened to me also, I imputed a label via copy and paste  and the pasted number had an unseen extra space. So it was wrong.  I caught the error when the tracking didn't show any updates. When I resubmitted same number with out the added space it update and showed delivered on time, but got the ding for uploaded late.

CDM Antiques
Message 4 of 37
latest reply

@alternative_lab_source wrote:

So I brought up the issue with eBay, hoping that these defects could be appealed. After all, it was a system glitch, and nobody was hurt. This is where I found out that defects in this category cannot be appealed.

I feel for you ... and I understand how the buyer is not impacted.  But, I'm not sure how eBay could judge an appeal.

Moreover, eBay is losing money when any of us buy labels on pirateship, so there is zero incentive for eBay to make adjustments when pirateship is at fault.

Message 5 of 37
latest reply

If you know you're going to check with pirateship & possibly buy a label from them, why would you purchase an eBay label first?

Message 6 of 37
latest reply

Hi, This happened to a friend also.  I think that you have to go into your "all orders" - "edit tracking" & manually take out the canceled tracking #.  Too late now but maybe keep in in mind for next time.  (J.B.)

Message 7 of 37
latest reply

@orangehound wrote:

So I brought up the issue with eBay, hoping that these defects could be appealed. After all, it was a system glitch, and nobody was hurt. This is where I found out that defects in this category cannot be appealed.

I feel for you ... and I understand how the buyer is not impacted.  But, I'm not sure how eBay could judge an appeal.

Moreover, eBay is losing money when any of us buy labels on pirateship, so there is zero incentive for eBay to make adjustments when pirateship is at fault.

eBay shouldn’t “lose” money when we buy labels from a third party, unless eBay makes money from shipping labels. If this is case, the eBay shipping discount is kind of hypocritical. I do remember comparing rate between eBay and pirateship and found the latter to be slightly less, which is why I stick to it.

Message 8 of 37
latest reply

@trip98 wrote:

It happened to me also, I imputed a label via copy and paste  and the pasted number had an unseen extra space. So it was wrong.  I caught the error when the tracking didn't show any updates. When I resubmitted same number with out the added space it update and showed delivered on time, but got the ding for uploaded late.

Exactly, these types of mistakes are exactly what the appealing process is for. It’s unfortunate that there isn’t such an option with the tracking upload category.

Message 9 of 37
latest reply

Hi @alternative_lab_source 

-Top Rated Sellers do not get the 10% FVF discount.  Top Rated Sellers who offer same or 1 day Handling and 30 Day Free returns get the Top Rated PLUS 10% FVF discount.  I checked one of your listings, you offer returns but the Buyer pays, no TRS Plus 10% discount on FVFs on that item if it sells.

-As to defects rolling off an account, here is what the Policy states:

To make sure we're getting a fair picture, we'll adjust how far we look back (the "evaluation period") depending on how much you've sold recently:

• If you had more than 400 transactions in the past 3 months, we'll count all those transactions
  • If you had fewer than 400 transactions in the past 3 months, we'll count all your transactions from the last 12 months

So it depends on one's sales volume as to when defects roll off an account. 

Regards,
Mr. Lincoln - Community Mentor
Message 10 of 37
latest reply

@mr_lincoln wrote:

_Top Rated Sellers do not get the 10% FVF discount.  Top Rated Sellers who offer same or 1 day Handling and 30 Day Free returns get the Top Rated PLUS 10% FVF discount.  I checked one of your listings, you offer returns but the Buyer pays, no TRS Plus 10% discount on FVFs on that item if it sells.

@mr_lincoln 

Actually the OP sells primarily in Business & Industrial categories where you don't even have to accept returns to qualify for the TRS+ discount (the badge won't be shown but the discount is still given.)

Source:
https://www.ebay.com/help/policies/selling-policies/seller-standards-policy?id=4347

Specifically see the section on "eBay Top Rated Plus requirements and benefits" and expand the part where it says "See the full list of circumstances where the discount benefit applies."

Message 11 of 37
latest reply

@mr_lincoln wrote:

-Top Rated Sellers do not get the 10% FVF discount.  Top Rated Sellers who offer same or 1 day Handling and 30 Day Free returns get the Top Rated PLUS 10% FVF discount.  I checked one of your listings, you offer returns but the Buyer pays, no TRS Plus 10% discount on FVFs on that item if it sells.

To make sure we're getting a fair picture, we'll adjust how far we look back (the "evaluation period") depending on how much you've sold recently:

• If you had more than 400 transactions in the past 3 months, we'll count all those transactions
  • If you had fewer than 400 transactions in the past 3 months, we'll count all your transactions from the last 12 months

I never offer free return but I still got 10% discount when I was a top rate seller. There may be exceptions to the general rule. 

Thanks for bringing up the rolling off period. The rule is complicated and it seems to be different for different categories

Message 12 of 37
latest reply

@mr_lincoln wrote:

I never offer free return but I still got 10% discount when I was a top rate seller. There may be exceptions to the general rule. 

Thanks for bringing up the rolling off period. The rule is complicated and it seems to be different for different categories

From eBay’s policy page: In some product categories, we'll extend the discount benefit (but not the seal) even if you don't offer 30-day free returns.

I sell exclusively in business and industrial, so I get the discount even if I am not offering free return 

Message 13 of 37
latest reply

@crazystuff4sale wrote:

@mr_lincoln wrote:

_Top Rated Sellers do not get the 10% FVF discount.  Top Rated Sellers who offer same or 1 day Handling and 30 Day Free returns get the Top Rated PLUS 10% FVF discount.  I checked one of your listings, you offer returns but the Buyer pays, no TRS Plus 10% discount on FVFs on that item if it sells.

@mr_lincoln 

Actually the OP sells primarily in Business & Industrial categories where you don't even have to accept returns to qualify for the TRS+ discount (the badge won't be shown but the discount is still given.)

Source:
https://www.ebay.com/help/policies/selling-policies/seller-standards-policy?id=4347

Specifically see the section on "eBay Top Rated Plus requirements and benefits" and expand the part where it says "See the full list of circumstances where the discount benefit applies."

@crazystuff4sale 

Ahhhhhh, good to know thank you, I did not check anything on the Seller's account and I don't sell in Business & Industrial categories ... 

Regards,
Message 14 of 37
latest reply

@mr_lincoln wrote:

@alternative_lab_source 

You are more than welcome, my post covers the categories I sell in but @crazystuff4sale  pointed out things are different in yours.  So good for you that you get the 10% FVF discount on your Business & Industrial listings.

Regards,
Message 15 of 37
latest reply