cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

I recently had a bottle of perfume removed that was slightly used because of policy violation

I recently had a bottle of perfume that was slightly used removed due to policy violation. There are still quite a few bottles partially used just like mine that have not been removed. What causes this and what can I do? I don't understand why mine was removed and the others are allowed to stay listed

Message 1 of 28
latest reply
27 REPLIES 27

I recently had a bottle of perfume removed that was slightly used because of policy violation

Yes, you got caught and others have not been caught yet. 

Its like if others run a stop sign but you do it and get a ticket. 

You cannot sell used cosmetics here.

All listing have a place to "report listing"

You can report them if you want.

Eventually they will be caught by the BOTs too.

Do not relist this item or anything like it. Once removed you are on the watch list.

klhmdg  •  Volunteer Community Mentor
Message 2 of 28
latest reply

@randork ,

Because it AGAINST eBay policy to sell used perfumes on their platform.

You were caught speeding and the others have not. I know life isn’t fair sometimes. I would not relist if you value your selling career on eBay.

Message 3 of 28
latest reply

@randork 

@theteamsetguy 

@klhmdg 

You put it in the wrong category...........

There has been an ongoing discussion for years about whether it's "ebay legal" or not to sell used/open perfumes......this is a quote from a podcast.....from Griff.........

https://community.ebay.com/t5/eBay-for-Business-Podcast/Ep-180-Saving-Time-with-Listing-Templates/ba...

Griff: Some of the examples in my I collection are really, really old. Like they're from the fifties, forties, even the thirties and some are bottles that are half full from either evaporation or maybe they've been used. Those I cannot list in health and beauty for fragrances categories because they would be considered used. And that category for condition was edited out last year to exclude any used condition.

Brian: Why did we do that?

Griff: Well, it has something to do with the FDA regulations on used cosmetics. You're not supposed to sell them. And unfortunately this makes me furious is that perfumes are considered in there. So eBay was proactive, making sure that they weren't violating FDA guidelines. And so they eliminated the used category from the Health and Beauty fragrances, but there's another category that you can list these in. In collectibles, it's called Vanity Perfume & Shaving Collectibles. That would mean another listing template for that category.

(my bold)

Message 1 of 2
Message 4 of 28
latest reply

Griff is an idiot! He is not going to come to your rescue when you get sanctioned.

https://www.ebay.com/help/policies/prohibited-restricted-items/cosmetics-policy?id=4290

Message 5 of 28
latest reply

Well, it's true he won't come to a seller's rescue if that seller has been sanctioned, but it also true that there are a zillion listings in the Collectibles & Art... Vanity Perfume & Shaving... etc.,  category.

I just did a search with only two words, "Chanel Perfume," exact words, in any order, in the Collectibles category and got 3500+ results. 

-

Message 6 of 28
latest reply

@maxine*j wrote:

Well, it's true he won't come to a seller's rescue if that seller has been sanctioned, but it also true that there are a zillion listings in the Collectibles & Art... Vanity Perfume & Shaving... etc.,  category.

I just did a search with only two words, "Chanel Perfume," exact words, in any order, in the Collectibles category and got 3500+ results. 

-

What exactly were in the results? How many of them were opened and partial used cosmetics vs open but empty bottles, packaging, advertising materials etc?

I can find hundreds or perhaps thousands of banned and restricted items listed on eBay but that doesn't make them eBay legal. How many people come here asking why their listing was taken down but others are still listed?

Message 7 of 28
latest reply

@dhbookds  -

Doesnt really matter what Griff said on a podcast.

This seller had their item removed. IF this seller takes your advice because Griff said it, there is a great chance of it getting pulled again and the seller getting a 3 day suspension.

I would recommend the seller to not list this item again in any category.

This is the safe option to not get it pulled again and risk their selling account. 

klhmdg  •  Volunteer Community Mentor
Message 8 of 28
latest reply

@theteamsetguy wrote:

@randork ,

Because it AGAINST eBay policy to sell used perfumes on their platform.

You were caught speeding and the others have not. I know life isn’t fair sometimes. I would not relist if you value your selling career on eBay.

Actually that is not true. I have sold a few used ones BUT the OP needs to put them in the perfume collectible bottles category.

Message 9 of 28
latest reply

@klhmdg wrote:

@dhbookds  -

This seller had their item removed. IF this seller takes your advice because Griff said it, there is a great chance of it getting pulled again and the seller getting a 3 day suspension.

This is the safe option to not get it pulled again and risk their selling account. 

devon@ebay 

kyle@ebay 

elizabeth@ebay 

Can you confirm/deny that used perfume can be ebay legally listed in the  In collectibles, it's called Vanity Perfume & Shaving Collectibles category

Message 10 of 28
latest reply

@slippinjimmy wrote:

@maxine*j wrote:

-

What exactly were in the results? How many of them were opened and partial used cosmetics vs open but empty bottles, packaging, advertising materials etc?

I can find hundreds or perhaps thousands of banned and restricted items listed on eBay but that doesn't make them eBay legal. How many people come here asking why their listing was taken down but others are still listed?

Actually, more had perfume than were empty, based on scanning through the first few pages of results.

I don't have a dog in this fight and I would never, personally, sell or buy used perfume for a number of reasons. 

I am saying that there seems to be an "out" for people who do  want to sell and buy used perfumes, colognes, after-shaves, etc.

I looked up a few other brands that came to mind, of both men's and women's fragrances, and got the same results --  in Collectibles.

-

Message 11 of 28
latest reply

Added to above, here's the "page" for this category, featuring several bottles with partial contents:

https://www.ebay.com/b/Vanity-Perfume-Shaving-Collectibles/597/bn_1848333

So, as in other matters on eBay, I think the policy is unclear.

-

Message 12 of 28
latest reply

You can't sell opened and used items like that.  There is the yuk factor.   eBay won't catch every one.  You were  just were the unlucky zebra the lion caught.

Message 13 of 28
latest reply

@simba6 wrote:

You can't sell opened and used items like that.  There is the yuk factor.   eBay won't catch every one.  You were  just were the unlucky zebra the lion caught.

Definite yuk factor for me, too, but I am not so sure about whether or not such can be sold, based on the vast numbers in that Collectibles category.   But, eBay policy is often unclear and whimsically enforced.

2400+ results for shaving brushes in that category, most of them used, as another example.

-

Message 14 of 28
latest reply

@dhbookds wrote:

@klhmdg wrote:

@dhbookds  -

devon@ebay 

kyle@ebay 

elizabeth@ebay 

Can you confirm/deny that used perfume can be ebay legally listed in the  In collectibles, it's called Vanity Perfume & Shaving Collectibles category

Hey @dhbookds! The only "used" perfume that can be listed in the Vanity Perfume & Shaving Collectables category is if the bottle is either completely empty or sealed but has some evaporation.

Devon,
eBay
Message 15 of 28
latest reply