cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

I got scammed by buyer and ebay wont help me.

Hello everyone,

Iam looking for advise from experienced ebayers. 

I sold a Samsung Note20 and shipped it on Dec 9th. The buyers address was some kind of shipping wherehouse in FL so USPS wouldnt deliver and were holding the package for pick up.

The buyer refused to pick up their package and filed a claim through PayPal. In the mean time I called USPS and asked that the package be returned to me and they said they would reroute it. 

Ebay sided with the buyer and gave them back their money they also charged me a $20 dispute fee to boot. After the buyer got refunded they went to USPS and picked up the package that was supposed to be rerouted back to me! Now ebay hits me with a account suspention for selling a expensive item I called them to report the buyer and they tell me to wait for my account to be cleared. It's been well over a month I submitted all the requested info and they won't unrevoke my account or hear me out about the Note20 scam. Facebook reps at least told me that I am burnt since it's been over 30 days. This has been a extremely stressful experience and ebay has not been helpful one bit. Perhaps ebays community can help🤔

Any suggestions would be appreciated. Thank you!!!

Message 1 of 15
latest reply
14 REPLIES 14

Go over to Facebook and click the message is button. They are real employees. 

The Race is over
The Rats won.
Message 2 of 15
latest reply

Not sure what you want to hear but Im sorry this happened.

Never sell anything here you can not afford to give away. There is little to no protection for sellers.

This scam of not picking up and getting refunded and then going to pick up is not new...

klhmdg  •  Volunteer Community Mentor
Message 3 of 15
latest reply

Absolutely disgusting. 

Message 4 of 15
latest reply

If the claim came through paypal it was most likely a "chargeback".

Sorry to say this, but there is almost nothing you can do.

Papa Was A Rolling Stone - The Temptations
Message 5 of 15
latest reply

Sounds like that  $20.00 extra came from a bank institution dispute between the two of you..not eBay .  Sounds like a credit card dispute from buyer. I usually google the buyer's address to make sure it is the place they are living in...if you are shipping something expensive. I sold some gold stuff in the past and wanted to make sure it is a house or apartment. Might want to do that in the future.

Message 6 of 15
latest reply

You sold a computer.

USPS would not deliver it instead holding it at the local PO.

The buyer refused to pick up the package.

Now- if the buyer had filed through eBay, you would have won the claim and  would not have had to refund a penny.

https://www.ebay.com/help/policies/ebay-money-back-guarantee-policy/ebay-money-back-guarantee-policy...

But the buyer filed through Paypal (or possibly a chargeback to a credit card)

The buyer was refunded .

USPS then released the package to the scammer.

Ok.

So now we are dealing with mail theft.

EBay is not part of the scam.

Basically with a chargeback for Not Received, you have to be able to prove Delivery (not shipping, delivery).

Now ebay hits me with a account suspention for selling a expensive item

No.

What did the suspension notice actually say?

I suspect it had more to do with fighting the Dispute in some way.

Definitely use the social media Chats covered by actual trained employees.

The phone reps do not work for eBay so don't bother with them. They work for a subcontractor out of Utah.

https://www.facebook.com/eBayForBusiness/ — Message button in upper right on landing page.
https://twitter.com/askebay?lang=en

https://community.ebay.com/t5/Selling/How-do-I-contact-Customer-Support/m-p/32016431#M1783851 -> Automated Assistant, type AGENT -> enter. You will then get more options.

The social media Chat accounts are covered by trained eBay employees with some authority.
And you get a transcript so you can compare what you heard with what you were told.

Message 7 of 15
latest reply

Yes I tried contacting Facebook and they told me it's been over 30 days so there's nothing I can do. 

Message 8 of 15
latest reply

Yeah it was a charge back. .

Message 9 of 15
latest reply

Yes I searched the buyers address and it's a shipping warehouse. The phone number on file also belonged to the shipping warehouse. The buyer has over a thousand positive feedback so I figured I have nothing to worry about. I suspect the account may be stolen. You'd think ebay would want to look into this. 

Message 10 of 15
latest reply

Good stuff!  I did try contacting PayPal (the buyer's payment method) 

They told me I'd have to take it up with ebay. I also tried contacting ebay through Facebook and the rep pretty much said I was screwed... 

Message 11 of 15
latest reply

Yeah, I figured I already tried everything. This post is more of a public service announcement to bring attention to this kind of scam and ebay's faulty system.

Thanks for the reply!

Message 12 of 15
latest reply

I forgot to add the phone number sends you to a automatic message with no way to contact anyone.  This leads me to suspect it may be a hub for scammers.

Message 13 of 15
latest reply

You are a new seller who sold a somewhat expensive computer so there was always going to be a good chance of you getting scammed.  In the meantime it is time to get down on your hands and knees for the next few months and pray to all the gods you don't get scammed out of that even more expensive camera as the buyer has a few more months to initiate a chargeback as part of a scam.

Message 14 of 15
latest reply

Thanks for all the replys I just got notice that I am permanently banned from selling on ebay.   As far as I know ebay will not communicate with banned members so I guess I am out of luck. All I can really do is share my experiences using ebay and hopefully dissuade others from making the same mistake and trusting ebay to do the right thing.

Message 15 of 15
latest reply