cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

I accidentally shipped the wrong item.

Hello. Today, I received a message on eBay from somebody who bought one of my items that I accidentally sent them the wrong item. Now, the buyer wants to send me back the wrong item. How are they going to do that and is it gonna cost me anything?

Also, how should I send the buyer the correct item? Should I use the label that eBay gave me when I shipped the wrong item or should I create a new label?

If you're a seller and you've accidentally shipped the wrong item, how did things go for you?

Message 1 of 18
latest reply
17 REPLIES 17

Re: I accidentally shipped the wrong item.

Unless it's a higher dollar item I just tell them to keep it and ship them the right item.  You can purchase a second label through the same sale, you just can't use the original label. That way there will be a tracking number with that original sale.

“The most common way people give up their power is by thinking they don’t have any.”
— Alice Walker

#freedomtoread
#readbannedbooks
Message 16 of 18
latest reply

I accidentally sent them the wrong item.

It happens to all of us eventually - especially if we have been busy.

the buyer wants to send me back the wrong item.

You go to the USPS site and print a label, just reversing the original label's sender and recipient.

is it gonna cost me anything?

Yes.

You made the mistake. You fix the mistake.

Also, how should I send the buyer the correct item?

You still have the correct item?

You're doing better than most sellers. The classic missent goof is sending Item A to Buyer B and Item B to Buyer A.

Wait until you have the disputed item back.

Print a corrected label. Mail it.

It would be Good Practice to upgrade to a faster service. And every time you communicate with the buyer apologize for their upset.

It's been more than a decade since I messed up like that,  but the buyer was gracious about it. I don't sell anything that is needed urgently.

Politely.--- Captain Malcolm Reynolds.

Message 17 of 18
latest reply

@codu-3879 wrote:

Yes. I'm aware of this scam. The buyer sent me an image to prove it and they also told me that they'll send the wrong item back tomorrow morning.

Also, I don't accept returns on any of my items, so I told the buyer my address and I think that they know what they're doing.

Please tell me you aren't making the buyer return the item at his own expense! It doesn't matter that you don't accept returns. YOU made a mistake and your buyer shouldn't be out 1 cent. 

I think you should refund the buyer's full payment and just send him the right item for free. 

albertabrightalberta
Volunteer Community Mentor

Message 18 of 18
latest reply