cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to get USPS Flat Rate supplies

OK, I'm asking because I'm in Canada, and Chit Chats (my shipper that ships from Niagara) used to send me boxes of them years ago... I'm now running out of stock, and I've been using a few flat rate mailers each week with my auctions.

Do the post offices just have these for me to pick up? Is it going to be limited to just taking a few, or can I get a box of 100 envelopes? I'm going to the Main St Post Office in Niagara Falls (planning a trip for our next holiday in May, it falls the week before Memorial Day, at least usually it does).

Do I have to ask at the counter, or do I help myself to what's out? If they're not out, then do I just ask? Will they have all different ones? I'd like bubble mailers (my biggest used ones) but could use some restocking on small boxes as well, and perhaps a handful of bigger boxes for the occasional big package that goes out (I don't really mail many big things from my store).

Chit Chats will accept the flat rate priority packaging if I buy the postage on eBay. They charge a per diem for packages anyway, if postage is already added.

I'm also going to get postage stamps as other posters have suggested for mailing things instead of using ESE. most of my stamp lots are under $5, and if we get past $20, usually there's many items and I buy GA service for them with tracking. I do postcards and other neat things that would be good to put stamps on the outside of the envelope.

C.

Message 1 of 25
latest reply
24 REPLIES 24

Probably best to call the PO and ask if and how many to can get. Each PO is different on what they stock. Even better, their free to order online if you have a US address to ship to. Also stamps are going up a nickel in July

Message 2 of 25
latest reply

It's a crap shoot.

Some post offices will have them in stock, some don't

Some will give you as much as you want, some wont.

If you ask for too much they'll tell you "order them online".

Smoke From A Distant Fire - Sanford Townsend Band
Message 3 of 25
latest reply

Most US Post Offices have a standard display rack in the lobby with Priority Flat Rate boxes and envelopes.  It's hit or miss as to what is available on any given day.   I've never asked at the window but believe they would oblige, it wouldn't hurt to ask.  The envelopes take up less space and are usually in bigger quantities than the boxes.   It's only flat rate packaging you'll find, not stuff like shoe boxes or the 7" cubes.  

Screenshot 2024-04-16 213836.png

Just got back from the PO.  No padded mailers or space for them on the standard display rack.

Message 4 of 25
latest reply

Is it possible for you to order them from USPS online and have them sent to Chit Chats adress in USA for them to bring to you in Canada?

"If a product doesn't sell, raise the price" - Reese Palley
"If it sold FAST, it was priced too low" - also Reese Palley
Message 5 of 25
latest reply

Ground Advantage replaced First Class Parcel and packages can weigh more than the old 15.9 ounce limit. I use a lot less Priority Mail Flat Rate packaging. Only when it is over 2 or 3 pounds and a far away zone. While transit time has increased from 2-3 days to 2-5 days, the cost is often more economical and I have not gotten any complaints from buyers about the increased transit time. Sellers should downgrade the service in their listings from Priority to Ground to be in compliance with shipping policies.

The available selection and supply of Priority Mail packaging in a post office lobby depends upon a worker or postmaster going the extra mile and stocking their lobby. Most locations have a very limited supply compared with what you can order online, for free. Otherwise, pay for online if you want the prepaid postage items.

Message 6 of 25
latest reply

@sin-n-dex 

Instead of hitting only the Main St. Post Office in Niagara Falls in May, why not hit a few more of the bigger post offices in the nearby area at the same time?  Many US post offices are only a few miles apart; and you might increase your chances of picking up some of the harder-to-find Priority boxes and envelopes in that manner.

Just hope both US and Canadian Customs don't pull you over on the way back, wondering why your vehicle is crammed full of USPS Priority boxes!

Message 7 of 25
latest reply

Just FYI - I've never seen the priority bubble mailers, but the rest of the flat rate stuff is usually stocked. Also, my local post office has 'leave and take' next to the display - people leave boxes they won't use and you can take what you need - oftentimes these are not the flat rate supplies, though.

I use far less priority boxes, though, with the new Ground Advantage.

When you dine with leopards, it is wise to check the menu lest you find yourself as the main course.

#freedomtoread
#readbannedbooks
Message 8 of 25
latest reply

It depends on the PO.

Ours, if you bring in an item or two, they'll let you have a couple boxes to pack there.

They don't actually store any just to give out, we have to order online,.

Have a great day
Message 9 of 25
latest reply

I just order them on the USPS website for free.

Message 10 of 25
latest reply

That's complicated by the OP being in Canada although she ships from USA.

"If a product doesn't sell, raise the price" - Reese Palley
"If it sold FAST, it was priced too low" - also Reese Palley
Message 11 of 25
latest reply

@toomuchstuffagain35 wrote:

That's complicated by the OP being in Canada although she ships from USA.

My bad I thought they had a friend in the USA , didn't realize it was a company .

Message 12 of 25
latest reply

We order online, they get the order right 90% of the time.

Message 13 of 25
latest reply

@tsme35 wrote:

Probably best to call the PO and ask if and how many to can get. Each PO is different on what they stock. Even better, their free to order online if you have a US address to ship to. Also stamps are going up a nickel in July

I'm in Canada, and USPS doesn't ship here (not even postage stamps... not anymore... they used to ship stamps to me in Canada 25 years ago).

My friend said he has a US address, so we're working out if I can use it to deliver some USPS envelopes. He offered when I told him my eBay shipping coupon charges postage for Canada (but not for US), so if he's cool with that he'll probably let me order USPS supplies too.

C.

Message 14 of 25
latest reply

@inhawaii wrote:

It's a crap shoot.

Some post offices will have them in stock, some don't

Some will give you as much as you want, some wont.

If you ask for too much they'll tell you "order them online".

I want 100 Priority Bubble Mailers in a box... you're probably right they'll want me to order online, however if I got 20-25, I'd be good for three months. I use about 3 per week with auctions, but that will change in a few weeks when it's just single coins (I'll be able to ship them under 15 oz, thus no Priority is needed).

C.

Message 15 of 25
latest reply