cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How should i ship a lot of about 400-500 comics

Im selling my entire comic collection, working on the price right now, but its about 400-500 comics, and i have no idea how to ship it and how much it would cost.

Message 1 of 21
latest reply
20 REPLIES 20

Re: How should i ship a lot of about 400-500 comics

Ship in boxes that weigh no more 25 pounds, however many it takes, via Priority Mail.  

If it's multiple boxes, you might consider offing separate lots that will fit in one box, especially if there's a logical way to break it down (years, genres, categories, characters, publishers, etc.).

Message 2 of 21
latest reply

@taylorhunter121192 wrote:

Im selling my entire comic collection, working on the price right now, but its about 400-500 comics, and i have no idea how to ship it and how much it would cost.

Put them in the box you will use for shipping, weigh the box, go to USPS.com and use the calculator to find out the shipping cost.

Or

Enter the weight & dimensions plus shipping service (Priority or Parcel Select) into the eBay shipping calculator and let them do the work calculating the correct charge for the buyers location.

I'd suggest the later because  something like that is not really appropriate for flat-rate shipping.

One thing for sure.....DO NOT attempt to use Media Mail, comic books do not qualify for that service.

It's possible you could get a lower rate using UPS Ground, you'll have to do your own research on that.

Message 3 of 21
latest reply

I don't think I would sell it as one lot.

Message 4 of 21
latest reply

Books can be shipped media mail (slowest and cheapest way to ship if it is a book or media such as a DVD).  You will need to weigh them in the box you plan on using to ship them to get an idea of cost. 

Make sure when you list them you don't say "a lot of about 400-500 comic books."  Yes, you will need to have an exact number and give as much detail as possible.  The buyer will then be in a better position to know if he/she wants to bid on your comic books.

Another option is to try "local pick up only."  If sold on EBay you will only have EBay's final value fee and not PayPal as you will want to collect cash upon pick up.  If someone does pay using PayPal, you will need to refund their money as you will have no proof of shipping since local pick up has no tracking number.

Message 5 of 21
latest reply

Comic books may NOT be shipped at USPS Media rate, due to the advertising matter inside.  It doesn't  matter how OLD the comic may be -- media rate is a definite no-no, according to USPS.

Message 6 of 21
latest reply

Slight correction to my response.  You can use media mail as long as it doesn't contain any advertising and the total weight is 70 pounds or less.

Message 7 of 21
latest reply

@sam9876 wrote:

I don't think I would sell it as one lot.

I wouldn't either.  I used to sell comics, and what I did was sell individual issues that were worth a fair amount of money, and then for the rest I would break them up into story arcs/runs and sell those as lots.  No one is going to buy 400-500 comics.  They WILL buy, for example, the entire run of Volume 1 of the New Avengers.

Message 8 of 21
latest reply

They changed the medium priority mail box about 8 years ago, the interior is actually slightly smaller than 8.5 x 11" I think most comics are smaller than that, so they should ship. You can not legally ship comics via USPS media mail.

You might consider buying boxes, these heavy duty (275 lb strength) boxes will hold a 1 foot high stack. Weigh a foot high stack of books on a bathroom scale to guess weight for shipping.

Heavy Duty Corrugated Boxes (11 1⁄4 x 8 3⁄4 x 12" 275 lb ). I would imagine about 40 to 50 comics per box.

You may find that delivery services other than USPS (UPS, etc.) may be cheaper for shipping. You can also offer free local pick up. (maybe nothing that makes comic book collectors salivate more than the phrase "I got about a 500 comic book collection, but you gotta pick them up."

Message 9 of 21
latest reply

Locally, cash and pick up only.
Message 10 of 21
latest reply

Break it down into smaller lots of 25-45 comics. Media mail cannot be used for shipping comic books as they contain advertising. 

Usps and UPS are good choices. I would choose the former.

Order some free Priority mail boxes or use your own boxes.

Message 11 of 21
latest reply

A bulk 80s & 90s lot you will just be wasting your time.

Sort by title, sell by title.

Message 12 of 21
latest reply

If you end up shipping by 'ground', you can always check out 'Greyhound' or 'Trailways' - yes, 'the bus'.  Used them on occasion MANY years ago, but they still run and still carry freight, from what I hear, and their prices were very reasonable.  I don't know about their current rates, and they may not ship 'everywhere', but something you can keep on the back burner, 'just in case'.

Not saying 'NO' doesn't mean 'YES'.

The foolishness of one's actions or words is determined by the number of witnesses.

Perhaps if Brains were described as an APP, many people would use them more often.

Respect, like money, is only of 'worth' when it is earned - with all due respect, it can not be ordained, legislated or coerced. Anonymous
Message 13 of 21
latest reply

You could also consider shipping whatever will fit in the regional rate A boxes that ship cheaper than the MFRB.

Message 14 of 21
latest reply

I have had great personal success shipping bulk lots.

...but my books were Golden and Silver Age and sorted by theme, Funny Animal, Horror, Western, Disney, Romance

Superheroes sorted by title or character.

You can get away with a bulk lot of World's Finest and Superman, or Legion & Superboy...or Avengers & Captain America or Daredevil & Punisher stuff that goes together naturally.

Just a higgledy piggledy mix?

...I'd skip it and give them to some kids and I've been doing this for 25 years.

Message 15 of 21
latest reply