cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How long should I keep inventory before getting rid of it?

I have a lot of old dress shirts and polos (Banana Republic, Tommy Hilfiger) and I have them listed for sale on my eBay account. At what point (in days, months, or years) do I decide they won’t sell and I just donate them? I want make a smart educated decision however I am limited on space since I live with my parents and all of the items, packing and shipping supplies, and boxes take up a lot of space in the basement.

I also want to stop selling on eBay so I can do things that matter to me more. These items I have up are just for beer money. I really want to get rid of them but want to give them some time for the open market to decide for me. Maybe get through 4 seasons of listing and then donate if they don’t sell? I am already pricing them competitively.

I really just want to get items out of the house that I’ve had for awhile, but need to give myself a time table for getting rid of them so it actually gets done. I can’t accurately judge if someone will buy my items but I value my space. What should I do?

Message 1 of 27
latest reply
26 REPLIES 26

Re: How long should I keep inventory before getting rid of it?

It's understandable that you want to clear out space while also making some extra cash. Since you're limited on space and looking to prioritize other activities, setting a time limit for selling your items seems like a smart approach. Consider giving it a timeframe, maybe 4 seasons as you mentioned, and if the items haven't sold by then, you can donate them. This way, you're giving them a fair chance on the market while also ensuring you're not holding onto them indefinitely. Best of luck with your sales and decluttering process!

Message 16 of 27
latest reply

Bundling clothes that have sat around a while is a great way to sell them

Message 17 of 27
latest reply

I basically list things for the long haul, especially unique or oddball items, when covid hit I sold a whole bunch of stuff that had been listed for many years because the supply chain was shut down.

Message 18 of 27
latest reply

What I do, if an item did not sell after in 3 month, I end the listing. Then I do (Sell similar), rearrange some pictures and some wording in header . I lower the price a bit. On items below $20 I will add some shipping. If after 1-2 years (depended on the brand), I will added to a yard sale. for $2-3, NWT will go from$5-10. Then what's left over will be donated.  Men's clothing is very welcome to Salvation Army or any Non-Profit that deals with men. 

Message 19 of 27
latest reply

Double the price.
Promote 20%
Then run a 20% markdown sale

Message 20 of 27
latest reply

You have 27 items listed.

If you know you want out, just have a yard sale and be done with it.

Cash in hand, no eBay fees or buyer refund requests.

You'll be done in one day.

Message 21 of 27
latest reply

Poshmark is a great site to sell clothing. I put my clothing there and keep ebay for other things.

Message 22 of 27
latest reply

@frecklesfinery88 wrote:

Send them to a homeless shelter, donate to the VA, or another organization. Maybe a business college or something.  If you want to be done with it. Then you know it went to a good place.

Of course you could send them to Thread up or something and recoup a small amount.  That way you can be done and not look back.

Just my opinion.

Have a beautiful day!

Another option I realized about just recently.  Donate to a hospital.  I recently ended up in the hospital, over an hour from home, with no clothes to wear home.  Case management found a couple of things, but the selection was very limited since I’m plus sized.  I’m planning to donate some of my clothes that way.

GloryBells  • 
eBay Mentor Since 2008

Message 23 of 27
latest reply

I mark down everything by 3 percent per month with a minimum price of $1.99 plus shipping. Every once in a while I will look at the 1.99s and toss out the large items and lot of the smalls into a junk drawer lot.

Message 24 of 27
latest reply

So are you saying if it doesn’t sell within a month you mark down 3% every month and the next month and on and on?  If so does that work to clear out all your inventory?

Message 25 of 27
latest reply

most of my items sell usually because i sell by auction. been doing it roe 20+ years. have sold 100,000  banknotes. my sell percent is 99.999 percent or greater.  having new materall the time is a plus.  if you are stuck with old inventry it t might be time to have a close out sale. 

Message 26 of 27
latest reply

My system:   

Keep it listed until it sells.

If it doesn't sell after X amount of time, lower the price until it does sell. 

Papa Was A Rolling Stone - The Temptations
Message 27 of 27
latest reply